Capture Card outputs video just fine, but refuses to record (Hauppauge HD PVR Rocket)

Discussion about displays and related hardware including MiSTer filters and video settings.
pojr

Capture Card outputs video just fine, but refuses to record (Hauppauge HD PVR Rocket)

Unread post by pojr »

Hi guys,

Long time fan, first time buyer. Finally took the plunge and bought myself a Mister FPGA. I love it, except for 1 issue. I would have posted this in the Newbie forum (maybe this is a noob question) but this seems like a Display Device issue.

I have my capture card (Hauppauge HD PVR Rocket) plugged into my Mister. It outputs the video fine, but refuses to record. The device keeps blinking blue...which means it cannot record.

For the record:
  • The capture card displays the video and audio just fine on my TV. It's not the output that's the problem. It's the inability to record.
  • It's not the capture card that's the problem. All of my other devices work with my Hauppauge HD PVR Rocket. It records just fine on Smash Ultimate for the Switch, which is 1080p. It also records fine on my Raspberry Pi, which is also a 1080p device.
  • The capture card supports record at 1080p30 or 720p60, according to the website: https://www.hauppauge.com/pages/product ... l#features
  • I have a Hisense 50 inch TV. It supports 4K and 60Hz. Here are the specs: https://www.bestbuy.com/site/hisense-50 ... Id=6431212

Some troubleshooting steps I tried:
  • Changed "vsync_adjust" to 0, 1 and 2 (while resolution was on the default setting, which is 1280x720@60). Did not work.
  • The default video_mode is 1280x720. This is a 720p resolution, which should work on my TV and the capture card. But I cannot record.
  • Tried the resolution 1920x1080@60. This is 1080p resolution, which should work with my capture card (at 30 frames a second), but it does not work.
  • Tried 640x480@60 out of curiosity. Actually does display and record on this setting. Progress! But it's not ideal because it's blurry as hell, and only 4:3 resolution.
  • Tried 720x480@60. This one also displays and records. Awesome! Looks much better than 640x480, but I think I can do better.

Shouldn't 1280x720@60 work just fine on my capture card? The Hauppauge HD PVR Rocket supports recording at 720P at 60 frames a second, so I'm not sure why this doesn't work.

I'm pretty new to this community, but I plan on sticking around. I appreciate you all taking time out of your day to read this thread and help a fellow gamer. I'm not entitled to a solution from any of you, so I appreciate all of you who do try to help. Honestly there's no rush here.

I'm aware not everyone owns a Hauppauge HD PVR Rocket, but maybe some people here are experts at getting capture devices to work. Maybe one of you had similar problems and found a way to fix it. Any ideas?
Zosasabru

Re: Capture Card outputs video just fine, but refuses to record (Hauppauge HD PVR Rocket)

Unread post by Zosasabru »

Hello, I still have problems with the capture, both by components and by HDMI

AVERMEDIA EzRecorder 130 and AVERMEDIA Game capture HD11