Where to get the new shadow mask filter?

Discussion about displays and related hardware including MiSTer filters and video settings.
pbsk8

Re: Where to get the new shadow mask filter?

Unread post by pbsk8 »

RYCB Stripes shadowmask 1x is great with my 27'' lcd monitor.

No visible vertical lines.

I dont use comp h 75 because it is too blurry and my astigmatism doesnt appretiate :P
FoxbatStargazer
Top Contributor

Unread post by FoxbatStargazer »

Wait, are your eyes so bad they are blending the vertical lines for you? :geek:

No seriously, something sounds off if you aren't getting any kind of lines. The blue and red side-by-side are pretty dark. Especially easy to see with a white screen on the 240p test suite.

Anyway, using that same white screen, something to keep in mind is that the masks seem to be applied *after* scaling filters. So you can blur your content all you like, the mask itself is going to stay just as sharp and separated. So you can't really blur or alter the intensity of the visible color patterns created by a colorful mask.
MikkyTee

Unread post by MikkyTee »

pbsk8 wrote: Sat Dec 04, 2021 9:19 pm RYCB Stripes shadowmask 1x is great with my 27'' lcd monitor.

No visible vertical lines.

I dont use comp h 75 because it is too blurry and my astigmatism doesnt appretiate :P
I'd have to agree, comp HV075 is way too blurry, i use HV025 and its deff better for me.
ConkerKing

Unread post by ConkerKing »

Hello,
just wondering if there is a chance or possibility to also implement the nice Shadow_Masks option in the Amiga, ao486, X68000 and Arcade Cores too?

That would be awesome :mrgreen:

But for now i tinkering around with some Masks and Filter´s from the Console Cores on my "NEC-MultiSync-LCD2690WUXi2" to get a decent near CRT feel ;)

i´m so exited what´s coming in the future on the Mister projekt
ConkerKing

Unread post by ConkerKing »

My Favorit Settings so far for Consoles:

TrashUncle / 1x / Trinitron_Simple_Bright with Comp_Blend_HV025 and Gamma Poly 2,5 ! The Same with S-Slot-Mask and JVC_Basic looks also great

What are your Favorite settings on a LCD screen? Maybe we find for each Display device a nice looking settings solution to get a authentic look (and not the awful standard Pixel sludge without the right Filters...)

Cheerz
SSR852

Unread post by SSR852 »

ConkerKing wrote: Thu Dec 09, 2021 8:25 am My Favorit Settings so far for Consoles:

TrashUncle / 1x / Trinitron_Simple_Bright with Comp_Blend_HV025 and Gamma Poly 2,5 ! The Same with S-Slot-Mask and JVC_Basic looks also great

What are your Favorite settings on a LCD screen? Maybe we find for each Display device a nice looking settings solution to get a authentic look (and not the awful standard Pixel sludge without the right Filters...)

Cheerz
Where do you find these TrashUncle / Trinitron?
Asteld

Unread post by Asteld »

Use the update_all script. It will get you a bunch of filters.

You can also just download the Mister Shadow Masks folder on github and add them yourself.
EvilRyu

Unread post by EvilRyu »

ConkerKing wrote: Thu Dec 09, 2021 8:25 am My Favorit Settings so far for Consoles:

Cheerz
I have ended up settling on a similar setup for consoles (for now):
- 1080p 5x Crop
- TrashUncle / 1x / Trinitron_Simple_Bright or JVC_Basic depending on my mood that day
- Comp_Scan_HV025
- Gamma Poly 2.3

Looking forward to the V2 masks that were just introduced a few minutes ago.
pbsk8

Unread post by pbsk8 »

I am using for every core TrashUncle / 1x / Trinitron_Simple_Bright with 1x rotated (1x only gives me noticeable vertical lines and it is quite dark!)

so far so good.

for gba I still dont know, I guess lcd effect is the only way right?
Asteld

Unread post by Asteld »

Shadow Masks V2 are apparently here.

> Shadow Mask v2:
>
> Add Improved shadow mask including per pixel 32 levels of brightness and up to 16x16 mask size. This should give much better flexibility and finer effects.

Sounds nice, but I haven't found any examples or documentation yet. I can't acces the Mister discord, maybe there's more there.

Does anyone have experience or examples yet?
FoxbatStargazer
Top Contributor

Unread post by FoxbatStargazer »

Now this is more like it. Maybe we can get some more subtle masks now.
Asteld

Unread post by Asteld »

For now you can find more on github.

Sorgelig has provided a VGA example, as you can see below. You can add this as Shadow Mask and it should work with the latest version of Mister. On my 1440p output the filter basically looks like a more well defined VGA.txt filter. It certainly seems an improvement, but I'm mostly curious for the benefits of the expanded 16x16 grid.

VGA v2.txt:

Code: Select all

# format:
# v2 line must be present for version 2 mask
# every item in mask is CXY where:
#  C - color 0..7 (bits: 001 - blue, 010 - green, 100 - red)
#  X - intensity for "on" 0..F (100%-193.75%, 6.25% steps)
#  Y - intensity for "off" 0..F (0%-93.75%, 6.25% steps)

v2

# w,h: max is 16,16

# lut

tonurics

Unread post by tonurics »

Asteld wrote: Tue Dec 14, 2021 5:45 pm For now you can find more on github.
Hello Asteld,

As I'm a lurker on the forums with no posts [and can't send private messages yet], you haven't enabled issues on your Shadow Mask GitHub fork, and you don't appear to be on Discord with the rest of us. So I'm leaving a personal messaging for you here. :lol:

We have started the process of cleaning up and reorganizing the Shadow Masks folder for wider release. Going forward:

Creators will not have their own mask folders. For attribution: we are asking everyone to make use of comments within their mask files. The GUI Shadow Mask Editor provides a set of meta fields and comment formatting; you are free to do something else, but the majority [if not all] the other creators are using the meta format of the Editor.

The Shadow Masks folder will contain four folders along with ten or so generic suggestions for users [we've already decided on most of those]. The folders are "CRT", "LCD", "LED", and "Other" depending on the intent of the mask. I'm thinking that your masks likely fall within the scopes of "CRT" or "Other" but will I leave that for you to suggest where they will go. [This is listed as the "Type" meta field on the Editor.]

The other thing I've been asking people to do is to create versions of their masks [the ones that use colour] in additional sub-pixel layouts when possible; with the BGR layout being the minimum. To give examples using your masks: Monochrome.txt doesn't have colour [so nothing to do], a new layout for Magenta-Green.txt probably doesn't make sense [but you could make a new "Red Yellow" version; I would probably also suggest the name "MGK (Magenta Green).txt"], and lastly VGA.txt would be one where you can create a new layout for. [This is listed a the "Layout" meta field on the Editor, which will also append the Layout to the end of the file name in brackets. The Editor also provides a Transformation option to convert from RGB to the other layouts, i.e. RGB <-> BGR.]

Hopefully, the above all sorta makes sense. But take a quick look at my repo for examples. Of course, reach out to me if you have any questions [you can private message me or reply here] or better yet join us in the #settings-workshop channel on the official MiSTer Discord, where all the other creators hang out.
tonurics

Unread post by tonurics »

Oh, I forgot to mention: if you have masks based on existing hardware or technology. Adding the date of the original hardware release to your file or folder names is a nice touch. It gives users an added historical context; if they are trying to find something within a certain era.
SpotAnime

Unread post by SpotAnime »

It would be helpful to also organize files based on the different Video Processor menu selections: Horizontal Filter, Vertical Filter, Scan Filter, Gamma Correction and Shadow Mask. As all the files are selectable across all the selections, it gets a little confusing as to which files I should be using for each. Going by Trash Uncle's latest video (which is helpful, BTW), I still don't fully understand when I should be selecting a scanline file for a Vertical Filter vs a Scan Filter.
Sigismond0

Unread post by Sigismond0 »

SpotAnime wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 12:16 pm It would be helpful to also organize files based on the different Video Processor menu selections: Horizontal Filter, Vertical Filter, Scan Filter, Gamma Correction and Shadow Mask. As all the files are selectable across all the selections, it gets a little confusing as to which files I should be using for each. Going by Trash Uncle's latest video (which is helpful, BTW), I still don't fully understand when I should be selecting a scanline file for a Vertical Filter vs a Scan Filter.
If you're using the scan doubler function, use scan. Otherwise always use vertical. At least that was my takeaway.