Where to get the new shadow mask filter?

Discussion about displays and related hardware including MiSTer filters and video settings.
Composite Lord

Where to get the new shadow mask filter?

Unread post by Composite Lord »

I've seen Tweets of the new shadow mask filter but not a single link to where to actually get it. I've looked on github and run the update_all/downloader script but just can't find it!?

Anyone got a link or source?
PikWik

Re: Where to get the new shadow mask filter?

Unread post by PikWik »

enable jotego beta cores to get the CPS2 updates - run update all > go into settings > jotego script options > then enable beta files

the other shadow mask beta cores are just something the creator of the shadow mask filter threw together for testing purposes (Neo Geo, Genesis, and SNES). those are on the MiSTer discord, under test builds

i can say, it is a beautiful thing to witness, and is a welcomed addition to the MiSTer.
i didnt think adding the texture of a CRT with these filters would make such a big deal, but it does!
PikWik

Unread post by PikWik »

sgJ0kCv.jpeg
sgJ0kCv.jpeg (3.75 MiB) Viewed 22060 times

(Rotated RYCB stripe shadow mask, with H Comp Blend 75%)
Composite Lord

Thank you for clearing it up, I saw one of the Tweets say the filters were out but alluded the fact it was VERY beta. :lol:

As for the Jotego update_all (got beta enabled/"true") I get an error with fetching the jtbindb.json file, I'm not a Patreon so I'm betting it's got something to do with that. I can boot up the beta cores with the "this is a beta pay me on Patreon" message popping up, however I can't seem to find the shadow mask filter anywhere either on the core menu or filter folder, on any of the JT cores, so is it a Patreon exclusive feature or is my MiSTer installation messed up?

I totally agree on shadow/slot masks being a major step in CRT emulation, I never ran emulators with "scanline" filter back in the day as it just looked like very obvious straight lines superimposed over the picture and opted rather to use "NTSC" composite shaders for geometry correction and emulating analog-processing of video signals. But now the understanding and care of detail has gotten so good that filters are starting to look convincing and I'm glad these new styles of filters are coming to the MiSTer project too, if we can fit the type of CRT filters that's on the RetroTink x5 on here that would be amazing! :)

Hope the current shadow mask filter gets added to the general filters folder after a while so we can try it on all the other cores.
sonik

Unread post by sonik »

I can say that the JT cores with Shadow Mask are beta but not patreon.
But I can't help you with update_all script. :(
pbsk8

Unread post by pbsk8 »

the shadow mask 1 and 2 in jotego cores are quite dark for me, I have to use mg shape to get a decent clear image.

I use a lcd monitor 27', maybe it is not intended for lcd
Composite Lord

OK, so I got it working! After trying the update_all script again it deleted/corrupted ALL MY JOTEGO MRA/RBF files and despite every attempt at downloading them again via update_all it just wouldn't work, in frustration I looked through my scripts directory and saw I still had the old standalone JTupdate script, ran it got all my MRA/RBF files back + the new shadow mask filter options in the core menu!

So if you are reading this because you have the same issue as I had: DON'T USE update_all, instead get/use the Jotego updater script (https://github.com/jotego/jtupdate) and it might fix it for you too.
pbsk8 wrote: Sun Oct 31, 2021 11:49 pm the shadow mask 1 and 2 in jotego cores are quite dark for me, I have to use mg shape to get a decent clear image.
I have an OLED TV (LG B9) and it looks OK on it, but yes it is a bit darker. Only "scanline" filter I use on the MiSTer have been the SNES specific (soft) filter that you can find in the filter directory, it's been the closest to my CRT TV and doesn't dim the image + it has a little bit of a composite effect too so you get extra geometry correction between the scanlines. Try and see if the SNES filter looks better/brighter on your LCD, maybe the author of the shadow mask filter could add an brightness/color-saturation compensation option too like on the SNES filter?
bazza_12
Top Contributor

Unread post by bazza_12 »

..or just update it manually..
The music is reversible but time is not. Turn back. Turn back
mapf

Unread post by mapf »

There are filters that increase brightness. I like to combine the CRT mask with the 120% brightness, 60% scanline filter (SL_Br_120_060_Sharp.txt)
pbsk8

Unread post by pbsk8 »

mapf wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 9:36 am There are filters that increase brightness. I like to combine the CRT mask with the 120% brightness, 60% scanline filter (SL_Br_120_060_Sharp.txt)
where is this crt mask?

For the cores currently I already use sharp bright 115 70 sharp and poly 2.7
mapf

Unread post by mapf »

The CRT mask is available in the latest version of the Jotego arcade cores and in some testing builds (SNES, Genesis, NeoGeo) that are avaiable on the discord server.
LamerDeluxe
Top Contributor

Unread post by LamerDeluxe »

There are SNES CRT mask core versions on the Discord that have brighter masks, I really like the medium one personally.
Newsdee
Top Contributor

Unread post by Newsdee »

PikWik wrote: Sun Oct 31, 2021 9:59 pm sgJ0kCv.jpeg
Not mask related, but what version/hack of SF2 has people in Honda's bathtub?
Never heard of that (and I heard a bunch of SF2 rumors bitd)
PikWik

Unread post by PikWik »

ahh, thats a SF2 CE hack called Street Fighter II Mix.
its included in the arcade offset update script now

the extra graphics and mechanics are a blast to play with. its one of my favorite ways to play classic SF2
PikWik

Unread post by PikWik »

someone added the shadowmask filter to the NES core -
https://github.com/drstorm/NES_MiSTer/r ... Shadowmask
FoxbatStargazer
Top Contributor

Unread post by FoxbatStargazer »

So as mentioned in updates, a handful of cores from the official downloader now have shadow mask support, including NES/SNES and Genesis. The new implementation needs txt files specifying the mask itself however, and they don't seem to be downloaded automatically at this point. You can find the official ones below, put them on your SD card in a folder named Shadow_Masks. Then go into a core, underneath the scaling filters switch shadow mask to 1x and then select the line below that to pick one of the files.

https://github.com/MiSTer-devel/ShadowMasks_MiSTer
riblad_om

Unread post by riblad_om »

Should these be used in combination with scanline filters or instead of scanline filters?
Chris23235
Top Contributor

Unread post by Chris23235 »

riblad_om wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 6:15 am Should these be used in combination with scanline filters or instead of scanline filters?
Whatever looks better for you.
FoxbatStargazer
Top Contributor

To be more helpful, these are meant to add only to the axis perpendicular to scanlines. Which is going to be vertical on your average orientation. Meaning the assumption is that you are already using some kind of scanline filter, yes.

If you are using digital 90 degree rotation on vertical arcade cores, and using say vertical scanline filters, you have to toggle the shadow mask from 1x to 1x vert, so that the shadow mask instead runs horizontally.
akeley
Top Contributor

Unread post by akeley »

FoxbatStargazer wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 2:42 pm To be more helpful, these are meant to add only to the axis perpendicular to scanlines.
Really? I haven't tried them myself yet, but was hoping that they'd be much more than just that

CRT_pixel_array.jpg
CRT_pixel_array.jpg (503.06 KiB) Viewed 19773 times

Being perpendicular would make more sense for aperture grille

CRT_Phosphors.jpg
CRT_Phosphors.jpg (605.53 KiB) Viewed 19773 times
FoxbatStargazer
Top Contributor

Well to be more accurate, it comes down to what filter you supply it. The official VGA masks have a pentile pattern like the PC display you posted, but most of them are just vertical stripes that assume you are using a horizontal scanline filter. Some of them separate the colors a bit but its still vertical stripes. Mister's max output resolution is kind of too low to produce anything as accurate as those zoom-ins (typically only doing 5x or 6x), even the included VGA masks look pretty gross compared to a latter day 1600x1200 capable VGA monitor.

Strictly speaking scanlines aren't a part of the mask anyway, that is an artifact of 240p output. And its again questionable whether Mister can get to a resolution where you can effectively convey scanlines and the more subtle horizontal properties of a shadow mask simultaneously.
akeley
Top Contributor

Unread post by akeley »

Obviously, I'm not expecting MiSTer to produce CRT-Royale or other advanced shader level results, but if its just a simple perpendicular grid then that's not really a shadow mask, which even in a simplified version resembles a honeycomb pattern. Perhaps a generic "CRT filter" would be a more suitable name here.

I was thinking about CRT TVs anyway, since on a real CRT PC monitor it's all much more subtle and less visible.
PikWik

Unread post by PikWik »

ive been very impressed with the shadow masks. it gives these raw digital pixels some much needed character and texture of a CRT/PC monitor

game changer, imo
derFunkenstein

Unread post by derFunkenstein »

Downloaded the update tonight and I'm not convinced I'm using it right. I've been using the Scanlines (Bright Soft) scanline filter for a very long time. Tonight I've been letting SF2 on the Genesis run the demos and applying different masks. I'm not really finding what I'm looking for, I guess, because the lines between each scan line are gone. Compared to my 20" Emerson CRT running the same game on a Genesis 2, I can't really find what I'm looking for. Also I'm using 5x scaling (216p) at 1080p and some of these filters seem misaligned. I know it's beta, so maybe it's just the fact it's a beta.

All that to say, what is. your favorite combination of effects?
FoxbatStargazer
Top Contributor

About alignment, one major downside you probably need horizontal integer scaling for the stripe masks. Same reason we use vertical scaling for scanlines. That is going to throw off your aspect ratios though.
PikWik

Unread post by PikWik »

FoxbatStargazer
Top Contributor

update_all script now downloads a bunch of masks and you have to check out ultra_trashman's. A large variety including more of the honeycomb style, as you can see from some of the twitter posts.
akeley
Top Contributor

Unread post by akeley »

Yeah, that's not bad at all.
pbsk8

Unread post by pbsk8 »

I have tried several masks and all of them get greatly visible vertical columns, really ugly when appearing a white screen or brighter backgrounds
LamerDeluxe
Top Contributor

Unread post by LamerDeluxe »

https://github.com/MilanPolle/ShadowMas ... xe%20Masks
Here's some more masks that I've made today. They are abstract, mostly fine textured patterns that work well with scan line video filters.

The sub pixel one is a green-magenta trick I found, which results in a really fine checkered pattern, using the sub pixels of your display (would work the same with red/cyan or blue/yellow).

If people like them I'll do a pull request to add them to the official repository.