What do I need to run single arcade games at 15khz resolutions?

Discussion about displays and related hardware including MiSTer filters and video settings.
abispac

What do I need to run single arcade games at 15khz resolutions?

Unread post by abispac »

So im very very new into this fpga arcade thing, but i cought my eye, that some fpga boards can run arcade games and some even run at 15khz resolutions to use crt monitors. Im gonna be honest, i got scared because i saw most boards are over 300 dlls, so for that price, i can easy buy original boards, now, im on a bucket list fo building some mini versions of the gmaes i grew up with, and using fpga boards instead of a full computer sounds way better (if the price drops) So i guess my question is:
What is the minimun hardware to say run popeye arcade on this mister thing?
Same for othe games like gaplus, pacman dk and more.
Do i need the whole 300+ setup?
Thanks for helping.
LamerDeluxe
Top Contributor

Re: What do I need to run single arcade games at 15khz resolutions?

Unread post by LamerDeluxe »

Most of the arcade games run correctly without an SDRAM module. You don't have to use the Analog I/O board for 15Khz output; you can use an HDMI to VGA adapter on the HDMI port. I personally use a VGA to SCART adapter to connect it to a 15Khz display, but I am in Europe where most non-HDMI 15Khz displays have an RGB SCART connection.

So your minimum requirements would be the DE10 Nano, a HDMI to VGA adapter (there are really cheap ones that work fine) and whatever cable you need to connect it to your 15Khz display. Arcade games are mostly quite small, especially the ones you mention, so you could probably even get away with using the included micro SD card.

EDIT: Forgot to mention the second common expansion board is just a powered USB hub. If you need multiple USB inputs you can just use a simple hub connected to the micro USB connector of the DE10.
abispac

Unread post by abispac »

LamerDeluxe wrote: Sun Nov 21, 2021 9:05 am Most of the arcade games run correctly without an SDRAM module. You don't have to use the Analog I/O board for 15Khz output; you can use an HDMI to VGA adapter on the HDMI port. I personally use a VGA to SCART adapter to connect it to a 15Khz display, but I am in Europe where most non-HDMI 15Khz displays have an RGB SCART connection.

So your minimum requirements would be the DE10 Nano, a HDMI to VGA adapter (there are really cheap ones that work fine) and whatever cable you need to connect it to your 15Khz display. Arcade games are mostly quite small, especially the ones you mention, so you could probably even get away with using the included micro SD card.

EDIT: Forgot to mention the second common expansion board is just a powered USB hub. If you need multiple USB inputs you can just use a simple hub connected to the micro USB connector of the DE10.
Wow, sounds awsome, if i can get away with just the nano board for each game, then it looks i can achieve this with lees money than i though. Now i got to start learning how to use it, well, first thing i got to get me a nano board hehehehe, any advice on how to do this? Nevermind let me find some tutorials or videos about it, thanks for the info.
alanswx
Core Developer

Unread post by alanswx »

abispac wrote: Sun Nov 21, 2021 3:47 pm
LamerDeluxe wrote: Sun Nov 21, 2021 9:05 am Most of the arcade games run correctly without an SDRAM module. You don't have to use the Analog I/O board for 15Khz output; you can use an HDMI to VGA adapter on the HDMI port. I personally use a VGA to SCART adapter to connect it to a 15Khz display, but I am in Europe where most non-HDMI 15Khz displays have an RGB SCART connection.

Wow, sounds awsome, if i can get away with just the nano board for each game, then it looks i can achieve this with lees money than i though. Now i got to start learning how to use it, well, first thing i got to get me a nano board hehehehe, any advice on how to do this? Nevermind let me find some tutorials or videos about it, thanks for the info.
You need:
+ de10-nano
+ micro sd card - bigger is better, but you can use one you have around to test (the board comes with an 8GB card)
+ OTG cable - most important part, if you don't buy an "official mister usb hub"
+ any powered USB hub should work with the OTG cable

Want:
+VGA adapter, either HDMI->VGA or the I/O board (not the digital I/O board)
+128MB SDRAM card - this will let you play all of the neogeo games
-- optionally, you could get the cheaper 32MB card, but I think you will love the system, and want the bigger card

Kind of need:
USB Keyboard (mouse optional), USB game pads (bluetooth if you get a bluetooth adapter)
depending on where you put it, USB wifi is useful
Harrumph

Unread post by Harrumph »

abispac wrote: Sun Nov 21, 2021 3:47 pm Wow, sounds awsome, if i can get away with just the nano board for each game, then it looks i can achieve this with lees money than i though.
Um you are aware that you can run all arcade cores from a single de-10 nano, right? Only reason to have several fpga boards is if you have more than one setup (e.g. several arcade cabinets).
LamerDeluxe
Top Contributor

Unread post by LamerDeluxe »

abispac wrote: Sun Nov 21, 2021 3:47 pm

Just the nano board will work for most arcade games (when using HDMI video), that's what I was using before receiving my other MiSTer parts. Some will have problems because they need at least a 32MB SDRAM module. Rampage for instance will show blocks instead of sprites, if I remember correctly.

I'm using mine with a dual shock 4, because I already had it and that works well. Lots of USB and Bluetooth game controllers will work well with MiSTer, as will most USB and Bluetooth keyboards.
DevilHunterWolf

Unread post by DevilHunterWolf »

Neo Geo and CPS2 games tend to require an SDRAM module. Jotego has been taking advantage of the add on for a lot of his cores so I'd personally mark the SDRAM as a requirement unless you're not interested at all in his cores. Also, I second just using one MiSTer for multiple games in one arcade machine. There's no need to buy multiple builds unless you really just have that much room space and money to spend.

The only real thing you may consider a second DE10-Nano is to have one cabinet for horizontal games and one for vertical. Just be aware that the MiSTer cores follow the same vertical rotation logic of the original arcade boards. If there's no option to flip the screen, then they'll only be in one orientation. For example, Pac-Man, Dig Dug, Galaga, and many Namco vertical games all are rotated clockwise for vertical. But others like Centipede are rotated counterclockwise with no DIP or setting to flip it. You won't be able to play all vertical games on one vertical monitor (unless you're awesome at playing upside down). Someone on another thread went through to notate which support what rotation so I'd check that out if you're looking into vertical monitor games. viewtopic.php?p=37196#p37196
akeley
Top Contributor

Unread post by akeley »

OP said:
abispac wrote: Sun Nov 21, 2021 3:17 am im on a bucket list fo building some mini versions of the gmaes i grew up with
...which I understood as a wish to have several cabinets in some sort of mini arcade arrangement. If that really is the case then it definitely is much better not to buy unnecessary add ons and you can keep the cost of MiSTer side at 200USD per unit (unless you want to go full Jamma). Otherwise, obviously one MiSTer setup with SDRAM is enough.

Though, if I was building just one arcade-dedicated cab then it'd be a MAME machine...can't beat its library's scope.