MiSTercade Display/Visual Help

Discussion about displays and related hardware including MiSTer filters and video settings.
BabaYaga326

MiSTercade Display/Visual Help

Unread post by BabaYaga326 »

I just received my MISTercade and I'm having a little bit of trouble getting the display to work correctly...

I replaced my 60-1 board with my MISTercade in a generic Namco style arcade cabinet (JAMMA).

I have reviewed the MISTercade online manual at: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1Ujk ... QNcuI/edit#

I'm using the MISTer-31kHz-TATE_CW ini on my MISTercade setup and I'm getting a lot of color washout on my display. There is a noticeable distortion of red color within a graphic distortion (and a brief red color on the right side of the screen) that can be seen rolling to the right on the F12 core menu (against the black/white TV noise background).

Games like 1942 are completely washed out in brightness (saturation?) and I can't even make out the F12 overlay menu while in-core (too much white).
I moved that MISTer-31kHz-TATE_CW .ini file to the root of the SD card and have renamed it to “mister.ini” as instructed. My arcade monitor is connected to my MISTercade via VGA. I swapped VGA monitors and the problem persisted. The main F12 menu (w/ black/white noise) screen is over saturated in white. Referencing the MISTcade manual online, I ensured that my CSYNC jumper from 75 ohm in on TTL. The various scanline options are barely distinguishible, but Scandoubler Fx does help.

NOTE: the 15kHz .ini causes the MISTercade to not even boot the the F12 core selection menu (black screen) so I assumed the 31kHz is the only option.

Any idea what I'm doing wrong? If not here, where should I ask for help? Thanks.
Attachments
IMG_1276.jpg
IMG_1276.jpg (179.28 KiB) Viewed 3631 times
IMG_1275.jpg
IMG_1275.jpg (76.32 KiB) Viewed 3631 times
N.Master

Re: MiSTercade Display/Visual Help

Unread post by N.Master »

Hi,
It looks like a TTL signal fed into a 0.7V input
I don't know the MISTercade in details, but if there are level shifters to provide 5V video signals, but your monitor is expecting 0.7V max, picture is over-saturated.
Do you use jamma connector for video on your arcade cabinet, ou do you use a separate VGA connector for video ?
In my arcade cabinet, I use JAMMA only for 15khz games, and VGA for hi-res 31kHz
BabaYaga326

Unread post by BabaYaga326 »

I’m using VGA out to connect to my MISTercade to the monitor only.
Zodypop

Unread post by Zodypop »

This thread caught my eye. Did you ever resolve this problem? I have the exact same issue with cores like Gun Smoke as you mentioned above. I'm using the horizontal ini file (and then I rotate my monitor vertical when needed, which is fine) but I get that white on white overlay menu too. I'm also using the jamma harness for the controls but the VGA out for my monitor. Doesn't happen on all cores, just a few.
eurotimmy

Unread post by eurotimmy »

I am having exactly the same issue

I can see this note written on the product page:
https://misteraddons.com/collections/mi ... mistercade

Changelog
V1.2 - Switch to toggle between 0.7V and 3.2V video levels for HD15 port on main JAMMA board

which get's me thinking about this comment...

N.Master wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 6:58 am

It looks like a TTL signal fed into a 0.7V input

Does this mean I need to find a V1.2 of the product to test it with?

I've tried as much as I can think of currently... 3x VGA screens & 3x MiSTercade boards
(I bought all 3 of them when V1 pre-released and never got to try them... until now)

• many iterations of edits on the MiSTer.ini file

No luck so far... any advices for me would be much appreciated.

eurotimmy

Unread post by eurotimmy »

For any others who stumble on this thread.

I understand the issue (for me) is that I have a cab with consumer grade VGA input (Chewlix with 1080P monitor).
I hadn't realised that the MiSTercade V1 outputs VGA with +3.2V as expected by a VGA CRT (such as in a Sega Blast City).
The MiSTercade V1 doesn't have a switch to lower the VGA voltage down to the 0.7V my display is expecting.

The fix should be... I will require a MiSTercade XL board from misteraddons.com
Right here >>> https://misteraddons.com/collections/mi ... 2059721861