Scanline filters not working after latest update

Discussion about displays and related hardware including MiSTer filters and video settings.
mario64

Re: Scanline filters not working after latest update

Unread post by mario64 »

FoxbatStargazer wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 4:25 am Horizontal should be Interpolation (Sharp), Vertical should be Scanlines (your choice).
Great thank you!
Elton

Unread post by Elton »

I figured out how to get the scanlines working again but it's not user friendly at all, its actually way too confusing. I really wish they would simplify it a little bit.
Sigmund68k

Unread post by Sigmund68k »

I think I understand "Horz filter:" settings, and selection of various interpolation filters.

I think I understand "Vert filter:" settings, and the application of scanline filters as an application of filtering vertically.

I also think I understand Gamma (but I haven't used it) and Shadow Mask (which is awesome, but a bit daunting.)

What I'm not grok'ing yet is the purpose of "Scan filter:". Is there an example of how to interpret this field, and effectively combine it with the other settings? Are there appropriate filters to select there?
FoxbatStargazer
Top Contributor

Unread post by FoxbatStargazer »

Scan seems to modify the lines added by scandoublerFX. If for example you use that to generate scanlines (instead of a vertical scanline filter), a soft interpolation or blur filter will blend the scanlines for smoother transitions. It can even make non-integer scanlines work pretty well. Meanwhile you can use sharp interpolation for H/V to keep the game graphics themselves sharp. There are probably other uses but this is one I found.
Mr. Encyclopedia

Unread post by Mr. Encyclopedia »

Yes, the "Scan Filter" setting is specifically what filter will be applied if you use the ScandoublerFX option, which is ironic to me since I always viewed the additional scanline filters as replacements for ScandoublerFX. Apparently Sorgelig likes ScandoublerFX though so we all get one extra entry for that.
Sigismond0

Unread post by Sigismond0 »

Mr. Encyclopedia wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 7:34 pm Yes, the "Scan Filter" setting is specifically what filter will be applied if you use the ScandoublerFX option, which is ironic to me since I always viewed the additional scanline filters as replacements for ScandoublerFX. Apparently Sorgelig likes ScandoublerFX though so we all get one extra entry for that.
It really should be renamed to "Doubler" or something. "Scan" is just way too generic to not be confusing. Maybe it should also be greyed out if the linedoubler is not enabled.
Dacaskos

Unread post by Dacaskos »

Still can't make it work with the last updated filters. Nothing happens.

Gamma correction is also greyed out for some reason.

---NVM, actually made it work but... still trying to find the equivalent setting/image I was using before...