Latency costs with scanlines or shadowmask filters?

Discussion about displays and related hardware including MiSTer filters and video settings.
trisk

Latency costs with scanlines or shadowmask filters?

Unread post by trisk »

I just setup my mister and am having a lot of fun! One area that I am trying to understand is the latency effects on hdmi when adding extra affects. I have been playing around with various shadow mask and scanline filters. I am successfully using vsync_adjust=2, which says it only adds 4 scanlines of lag in the documentation. However, I can't find out anywhere whether these other filters add additonal overhead. If they do, is it just adding a few additional scanlines of latency or will it add a full frame of lag because the whole frame needs to be buffered? Thanks for any help!
FoxbatStargazer
Top Contributor

Re: Latency costs with scanlines or shadowmask filters?

Unread post by FoxbatStargazer »

Think the only place you get into full frame territory is with rotation or buffer effects in various core options.
kalach.x

Re: Latency costs with scanlines or shadowmask filters?

Unread post by kalach.x »

Any latency these filters add is probably already baked in to the cores and enabling/disabling filters cannot change it.
It is also probably part of those 4 lines of input lag that scaler itself adds.

I mean the point scaler that is the default filter when no filter is enabled is itself just defined inside code. At least that would make most sense from engineering point of view :)