MiSTer with YCbCr

Discussion about displays and related hardware including MiSTer filters and video settings.
mcgilla09

MiSTer with YCbCr

Unread post by mcgilla09 »

Okay so I'm not fully knowledgeable about TVs and audio/visual stuff but I'm trying to catch up. I love the MiSTer and everything about it so I'm trying to get my head around everything. Right now I have a Toshiba CZ27V51 that has a YCbCr input. I have a full MiSTer setup using the 6.1 I/O board. I'm running a VGA to component cable to the Toshiba using that YCbCr input. Everything is purple all of the time. I have the MiSTer connected to my LG 27GL83A-B via HDMI as well and I'm comparing the colors between the two. Everything that should be green or brown is purple on the Toshiba CRT. Is there any way around this other than finding a TV with YPbPr? I know that this is a digital component vs analog component thing but I don't know enough beyond that. What am I missing? Yes I have SoG turned on. Yes I have YPbBr set to 1 in the ini file. What else could I change? Or do I need to find a different CRT? I attached some pictures of what my LG monitor shows vs the Toshiba CRT. Thanks
Attachments
terminator_purple.jpg
terminator_purple.jpg (2.24 MiB) Viewed 2902 times
terminator.jpg
terminator.jpg (1.54 MiB) Viewed 2902 times
mk_purple.jpg
mk_purple.jpg (2.94 MiB) Viewed 2902 times
mk.jpg
mk.jpg (1.51 MiB) Viewed 2902 times
doom_purple.jpg
doom_purple.jpg (2.34 MiB) Viewed 2902 times
doom.jpg
doom.jpg (1.16 MiB) Viewed 2902 times
FeelsDuckMan

Re: MiSTer with YCbCr

Unread post by FeelsDuckMan »

Have you tried turning on/off sync on green on the I/O board? Also did you set YbCbCr=1 in the mister.ini.

EDIT: I see you did set the INI. Try the Sync on Green switch on the I/O board.
FoxbatStargazer
Top Contributor

Unread post by FoxbatStargazer »

Some people were speculating that lower-quality I/O boards from China/Ali-express were causing bad purple tint on component output, so its possible that is the problem rather than your TV.

As far as I can tell if your TV input has three coaxial inputs (like the component out adapter) then its effectively YPbPr in modern parlance. "True" digital YCbCr should be a single cable and would not be remotely compatible with component, although it seems there was a shift in terminology at some point.
Wave

Unread post by Wave »

OP, the other recent thread about the purple tint issue is here.
she/her
mcgilla09

Unread post by mcgilla09 »

FoxbatStargazer wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 3:27 pm Some people were speculating that lower-quality I/O boards from China/Ali-express were causing bad purple tint on component output, so its possible that is the problem rather than your TV.

As far as I can tell if your TV input has three coaxial inputs (like the component out adapter) then its effectively YPbPr in modern parlance. "True" digital YCbCr should be a single cable and would not be remotely compatible with component, although it seems there was a shift in terminology at some point.
After reading your comment, I connected the MiSTer to my Samsung LED via VGA -> YPbPr. Same purple tint issue. I did buy this kit from AliExpress so a faulty I/O board is more than likely the issue, as you said. Thanks for your help! This was driving me nuts for days.