Does using VGA on a modern LCD TV make sense?

Discussion about displays and related hardware including MiSTer filters and video settings.
SSR852

Does using VGA on a modern LCD TV make sense?

Unread post by SSR852 »

Hello!

I’m going to use the MiSTer pretty much solely with an LCD TV. Where I live (Hong Kong) the CRT TVs are really rare, none of them have scart built in and I really don’t have space for it.

I know that LCD screens usually have lags, I’ve noticed that mine doesn’t have a “Video Game” mode but I can manually deactivate multiple images “enhancement” options that will probably help reducing the lag.

However, I have notice that my TV also has a VGA port and I wondered if plug the MiSTer I/O board directly to the TV would also reduce the lag to a minimum.

What do you think? Have you tried? Does it makes (good or bad) difference over HDMI?

Thanks in advance!
Sigismond0

Re: Does using VGA on a modern LCD TV make sense?

Unread post by Sigismond0 »

My LCD w/VGA port doesn't like the MiSter VGA output for some reason--it gives it a purplish tint. I did some really casual lag testing, and don't think there's any difference between what I get on that panel using VGA vs HDMI input.
darksakul

Unread post by darksakul »

It would make sense if your VGA input skips/bypasses some of the internal image post processing your Display has and reduce the display's input lag

But this will varies with each Display
It is my great regret that we live in an age that is proud of machines that think and suspicious of people who try to.
morf77

Unread post by morf77 »

I'm using the VGA input on my Samsung LCD atm. Compared to HDMI on "Game mode" there is a noticeable improvement reducing the display's input lag using the VGA input. Definitely worth trying if you have a VGA input. I was considering buying a CRT but feel quite happy with this amount of input lag after switching to VGA.
ZigZag

Unread post by ZigZag »

Sigismond0 wrote: Mon Jun 08, 2020 6:01 pm My LCD w/VGA port doesn't like the MiSter VGA output for some reason--it gives it a purplish tint. I did some really casual lag testing, and don't think there's any difference between what I get on that panel using VGA vs HDMI input.
Turn on ypbpr & make sure SOG switch is on correct setting, that will fix it.
Sigismond0

Unread post by Sigismond0 »

ZigZag wrote: Wed Sep 30, 2020 7:33 pm
Sigismond0 wrote: Mon Jun 08, 2020 6:01 pm My LCD w/VGA port doesn't like the MiSter VGA output for some reason--it gives it a purplish tint. I did some really casual lag testing, and don't think there's any difference between what I get on that panel using VGA vs HDMI input.
Turn on ypbpr & make sure SOG switch is on correct setting, that will fix it.
Nope. Trust me, I flipped every switch and toggled every setting to no avail. RGB and YPbPr all work fine, but direct VGA doesn't for me. Not a big deal because I'm using a PVM anyway.