VGA to SCART cable

Discussion about displays and related hardware including MiSTer filters and video settings.
akeley
Top Contributor

VGA to SCART cable

Unread post by akeley »

I would like to connect my MiSTer to a PAL CRT TV via SCART. I will be using Direct Video. I've found a DAC with the recommended AG6200 chip, now need the proper VGA --> SCART cable

- Would the cable from MiST work as well? eg Lotharek's https://lotharek.pl/productdetail.php?id=171

- Wiki has a warning about DACs
Please be aware that many VGA DACs may output a sync signal at 3 volts or more on pin 13 (HSYNC/CSYNC) even when being used in Direct Video mode! You will need a 470 ohm resistor on the corresponding SCART sync pin to attenuate this signal to levels that are safe for all video equipment.
I'm not a very electronically-minded person. Is this something that could mess up my consumer Trinitron? If I bought Lotharek's cable, would it still need that resistor?

I know that there's a recommended cable with this resistor included, but it's rather pricey.
pacoarcade

Re: VGA to SCART cable

Unread post by pacoarcade »

I'd definitely add that 470Ω resistor in series at SCART sync pin to attenuate the signal below 1V if the cable doesn't already have it. I did some measurements using Direct video and the sync signal coming from the Rankie adapter. Without attenuation it exceeded 1V so it can damage your SCART equipment. Devices like OSSC are specially sensible to this. Some more information about SCART: http://martin.hinner.info/vga/scart.html

Using the 470Ω resistor the signal is attenuated to ~400mV, a safe level.
pinballpal

Re: VGA to SCART cable

Unread post by pinballpal »

“Without attenuation it exceeded 1V so it can damage your SCART equipment.”

Will it damage my Sony BVM monitor not having the 470 ohm resistor? Or is the resistor just their to protect scart equipment like scart switchers ect?