S-Video Cores on a PAL-Only Broadcast Monitor? Plus a General S-Video Question

Discussion about displays and related hardware including MiSTer filters and video settings.
Turrican3

S-Video Cores on a PAL-Only Broadcast Monitor? Plus a General S-Video Question

Unread post by Turrican3 »

EDIT: hey there, first post here so greetings to everybody (I apologize but I was 99.9% sure I had already made my introduction but apparently it isn't the case!)

I'm sure this is an issue/question that has been asked far too many times, but I'm probably using the wrong keywords so I'm gonna ask it here (and I don't want to hijack the excellent SVideo cores thread either, even if it could be argued it's actually the relevant thread)

But let's go straight at my question.

I've recently purchased a Panasonic broadcast monitor. No RGB input unfortunately, but SVideo is supported so I thought it might have been enough.

Early tests however proved how wrong I was: out of four easy-to-connect HW platforms with a native SVideo output (japanese N64 and Super Famicom, european PS3 and a PS2, the latter modded) only two NTSC games were displayed in colour. Everything else was just a lovely looking, but still unsatisfying black and white picture.

I suppose this is happening because this monitor can't correctly detect a NTSC-encoded chroma signal, right?

So my question is: with the freshly released SVideo cores, that I only recently found out the existance of, plus obviously a proper cable, is there any chance I might be able to use the MiSTer in full colour if I set (how?) the video output to PAL Svideo mode? I'm asking because I understand most (if not all?) of the arcade cores plus the whole Japanese/USA stuff is expected to run at 60Hz, so I have to wonder if this kinda "hybrid" setting (PAL colour with a 60Hz source) might cause further, different issues. The only thing I can state for sure is that all the NTSC console games I tried can apparently be displayed with a stable picture, just without any colour.

Bonus question: would an external "RGB to SVideo" converter, set to PAL, be a better solution (that is, assuming it actually works... and that this wall of text does somehow make sense, which I'm not sure at all!)
city909

Re: S-Video Cores on a PAL-Only Broadcast Monitor? Plus a General S-Video Question

Unread post by city909 »

hiya pal.

is it a panasonic wv-cm1780? I tried to feed mine 60hz from a modded SNES but it didn’t accept it and made a double flickery image. Are you saying it accepts PAL 60hz and if so can you explain wtf that it?!

cheers
B1E1817D-8F89-4222-99ED-F2C37FCF6882.jpeg
B1E1817D-8F89-4222-99ED-F2C37FCF6882.jpeg (3.15 MiB) Viewed 656 times
Turrican3

Re: S-Video Cores on a PAL-Only Broadcast Monitor? Plus a General S-Video Question

Nope sorry, it's a BT-S1000Y 10" unit.

As I said, results have been quite mixed to say the least. :-\

I'm building a MiSTer custom VGA-->SVideo cable as we speak though, so I'll see what happens with the dedicated YCcores, even though I believe I'll probably go for a B-plan and use a proper RGB-capable display, as the aforementioned cores are basically experimental (it would be VERY different if MiSTer had official, built-in SVideo support, but right now it's not the case)
akeley
Top Contributor

Unread post by akeley »

From what I recall the cores from this thread are tweaked for NTSC only. It won't hurt to ask there though, I'm sure MikeS1 won't mind since it's on topic.

Anyway, S-Video is supposed to work well with existing adapters. Of course you'd need to run assorted cores and games in PAL mode, if your monitor is PAL-only. In any case yes, it's definitely better to get an RGB & NTSC-capable set. Most of the more modern cosumer CRT TVs from the PAL zone should be able to handle NTSC.
Turrican3

Thanks!

I'm sadly returning the monitor to the seller, who kindly accepted my request (it's all my fault so props to him!) and trying to build a dual monitor, RGB corner so that I can also play tate mode games.

But that will require a different thread, as I'm experiencing issues with a Commodore 1081 monitor.