forced_scandoubler affecting HDMI scaling

Discussion about displays and related hardware including MiSTer filters and video settings.
bootsector

forced_scandoubler affecting HDMI scaling

Unread post by bootsector »

Is that possible to make the forced_scandoubler=1 setting to affect only the VGA output (I'm using the IO board)?

If I turn this on, which is necessary when I connect my MiSTer to my VGA monitor, this seems to affect the scaling of the HDMI output when I'm using it on the HDMI TV. This can be verified by turning the scanlines on (in the scaler filtes options), then they get all wrong.
Sigismond0

Re: forced_scandoubler affecting HDMI scaling

Unread post by Sigismond0 »

Workaround:

Set up your mister.ini file to match whatever display you use most of the time. Then copy it as mister_alt_1.ini and change the settings to match your second display. MiSTer will now always boot in the mode specified by mister.ini, and you can press Back+Left in the menu to toggle to the other ini.
bootsector

Re: forced_scandoubler affecting HDMI scaling

Unread post by bootsector »

Sigismond0 wrote: Fri Jun 12, 2020 7:13 pm Workaround:

Set up your mister.ini file to match whatever display you use most of the time. Then copy it as mister_alt_1.ini and change the settings to match your second display. MiSTer will now always boot in the mode specified by mister.ini, and you can press Back+Left in the menu to toggle to the other ini.
Yeah, this was what I've ended up doing. It would be great if forced_scandoubler=1 didn't affect HDMI output though. Also, since my VGA monitor doesn't like SNES core native resolution/frequency too much, I've ended up having a third ini file so scaler is enabled through VGA for everything so I can play SNES right on the monitor (having scaler through VGA enabled only for SNES didn't work correctly here).