IO board to DVI input possible?

Discussion about displays and related hardware including MiSTer filters and video settings.
Norkusa

IO board to DVI input possible?

Unread post by Norkusa »

I just purchased a CRT HDTV (1080i) on a whim for $20 and was hoping to use it with my Mister setup. The tv comes with component + DVI-HDCP inputs and I was hoping to connect my Mister to the DVI input. Is it possible to do this assuming I find the correct adapter + cables? Also, is there any advantage to using the DVI connection over component? The manual says both inputs are capable of displaying in 1080i.
Hectic

Re: IO board to DVI input possible?

Unread post by Hectic »

Hi there.

I'm not fan of interlaced scan modes. So i'd check if the TV allows lowres progressive modes (u got VGA output?). By the way, I think you just need one of these simple adapters depending if u're using HDMI or VGA.

300px-Adapter_dvi_hdmi_S7302224_wp.jpg
300px-Adapter_dvi_hdmi_S7302224_wp.jpg (10.25 KiB) Viewed 2255 times
316px-DVI-VGA-Adapter.jpg
316px-DVI-VGA-Adapter.jpg (13.1 KiB) Viewed 2255 times
Norkusa

Unread post by Norkusa »

Thanks a lot for the help! Both inputs will accept 1080i or 480p. Does it make more sense to just use VGA to Component then? Or will I see a big improvement while using DVI @ 480p? I already have the component cables + VGA adapter to do that from my IO board already, so maybe that's the way to go here.
Hectic

Unread post by Hectic »

Norkusa wrote: Fri Jun 12, 2020 10:41 pm Does it make more sense to just use VGA to Component then?
Well, I thought IO couldn't get a YPbPr signal. But I just saw this thread. So yes, u just need that cable if u prefer component input over DVI.