Different settings for HDMI and VGA?

Discussion about displays and related hardware including MiSTer filters and video settings.
Milongero

Different settings for HDMI and VGA?

Unread post by Milongero »

Hello,
I have the following problem: A 5/4 monitor is hanging on the VGA port of my I-O-board. Over the VGA-Scaler I run the one with a resolution of 1600x1200.
The HDMI connector is attached to a capture card on my PC (HD 60 Pro).
Unfortunately, this does not get along with the resolution at all. He wants a 16/9 resolution, mandatory. (720p or 1080p)
Is it possible to configure two different VGA scaler settings for the two outputs (VGA and HDMI) or is there another solution?
Thanks Lutz
Sigismond0

Re: Different settings for HDMI and VGA?

Unread post by Sigismond0 »

You can always make a mister_alt_1.ini file. Have the LCD settings in mister.ini, the CRT settings in mister_alt_1.ini, and toggle between them as needed. As long as he doesn't need both screens running at the same time, this will work fine. MiSTer only has one scaler, so there's no way to set up a different one for each output running simultaneously.

The best solution here would be to turn off VGA scaler entuirely, set up the LCD for whatever aspect ratio the user wants, and have them come to terms with the VGA output being 4:3 because that's just how the analog video was built. Using the VGA scaler to turn it into 16:9 is a really hacky thing to do.
Milongero

Re: Different settings for HDMI and VGA?

Unread post by Milongero »

Thank you. I have tried it with 576p and it worked for me