MiSTer HDMI display cut off on right and left

Discussion about displays and related hardware including MiSTer filters and video settings.
eightbit

MiSTer HDMI display cut off on right and left

Unread post by eightbit »

I have been struggling with this since I built my MiSTer, so maybe someone can help. I have a cheap Polaroid 1080P TV (32 inch I believe) that I have been using with old consoles, computers, etc via items like the OSSC, Retrotink, etc for a long time. They all display just fine without any issue with the screen being cut off on the left and the right.

With the MiSTer however, it does this on this TV. It is most evident when running a script, as the messages are cut off.

The only way I have found to correct it is in the TV OSD menu. By changing the HDMI from "AUTO" to "GRAPHIC", the problem is corrected. But, when I change this, any real game console I play is not full screen until I change it back.

So, as a temporary solution, I have to go into the OSD menu of the TV every time I use the MiSTer and change the HDMI model to "GRAPHIC" in order to not have the left and right borders cut off, and then when I play an actual vintage game console or computer I have to change it again.

What I am looking for is to somehow set the MiSTer to display properly when the TV is set to HDMI auto mode, but I have been unsuccessful this far. I see am option for vscale_border, which adds a bar on the top and the bottom of the display for TV's that cut off the top/bottom. I think what I would need is an hscale_border option, but I do not see that as an option and I am not entirely sure.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

EDIT: While I am at it with HDMI, one other unrelated question maybe someone has an answer to. Very simply, is there a way to disable HDMI audio completely? I use a digital IO board and using digital optical audio. My soundbar is connected to that as well as to the TV's audio for my consoles. Problem is as the MiSTer is outputting audio always over HDMI it is one of the active sources on the soundbar. Makes it hard to tell if I am using the digital optical source or HDMI source ;) So, I would like to shut off the HDMI audio if at all possible. Not sure if that is possible but figured I'd throw that out there as well.
12characters

Re: MiSTer HDMI display cut off on right and left

Unread post by 12characters »

eightbit wrote: Fri Jun 19, 2020 10:02 pm EDIT: While I am at it with HDMI, one other unrelated question maybe someone has an answer to. Very simply, is there a way to disable HDMI audio completely? I use a digital IO board and using digital optical audio. My soundbar is connected to that as well as to the TV's audio for my consoles. Problem is as the MiSTer is outputting audio always over HDMI it is one of the active sources on the soundbar. Makes it hard to tell if I am using the digital optical source or HDMI source ;) So, I would like to shut off the HDMI audio if at all possible. Not sure if that is possible but figured I'd throw that out there as well.
Set output to DVI mode in MiSTer.ini:

Code: Select all

dvi_mode=1
eightbit

12characters wrote: Sat Jun 20, 2020 8:15 am
eightbit wrote: Fri Jun 19, 2020 10:02 pm EDIT: While I am at it with HDMI, one other unrelated question maybe someone has an answer to. Very simply, is there a way to disable HDMI audio completely? I use a digital IO board and using digital optical audio. My soundbar is connected to that as well as to the TV's audio for my consoles. Problem is as the MiSTer is outputting audio always over HDMI it is one of the active sources on the soundbar. Makes it hard to tell if I am using the digital optical source or HDMI source ;) So, I would like to shut off the HDMI audio if at all possible. Not sure if that is possible but figured I'd throw that out there as well.
Set output to DVI mode in MiSTer.ini:

Code: Select all

dvi_mode=1

One problem solved, thanks!
eightbit

Actually, two problems solved ;) As the TV when in DVI mode is different than HDMI (all HDMI options are greyed out in the OSD) the screen does not get cut off at all. I did have to change the resolution to 1366x768 as this TV displays 1080P over DVI kind of blurry, but as a bonus at 1366 the scanlines look more true to a CRT.

Thanks for the tip! All problems solved!