Sony Trinitron Resolution and Frequency

Discussion about displays and related hardware including MiSTer filters and video settings.
IandMR

Sony Trinitron Resolution and Frequency

Unread post by IandMR »

Hi. I’m still learning about how to set the mister up properly and hoped to get some advice.

I have just got a Sony Trinitron CRT and have connected it to the mister via the VGA port to Scart RGB using a cable from ultimatemister.

I have my ini file set as below and the SOG switch on.

composite_sync = 1
forced_scandoubler = 0
vga_scaler=0

I’ll use the NES core as an example of something I don’t understand.

The information screen reports

256x240 15.75KHz and 60.1Hz for the core which is what I would expect

720x480 27.07MHz 60.1Hz for the CRT which is not what I expected

I thought that with the scaler off the CRT would display the core output exactly as it receives it. The (horizontal?) frequency the CRT is operating at does not appear to be 15KHz and it’s resolution is completely different to the console.

Do I completely misunderstand what is going on?

My display mode is set to 720x480 at 60Hz - does that explain the 720x480 on the information screen and mean I need to set a custom video mode?

Thank you for your patience.
IandMR

Re: Sony Trinitron Resolution and Frequency

Unread post by IandMR »

I set a video_mode=256,240,60 and the information screen reports 256x240 6.4MHz 60.1Hz for the CRT so the resolution now matches.
Hectic

Unread post by Hectic »

That info is about wat is displaying the HDMI conector un case u connect something there. That new res seems to be faulty i dont recomend use It.
LamerDeluxe
Top Contributor

Unread post by LamerDeluxe »

You shouldn't have to use a custom video mode. The core will indeed output the original image over the VGA output of the analog IO board.

Make sure you don't have any scandoubler fx option enabled in the core's menu.
IandMR

Unread post by IandMR »

Ah. I see. So the information screen is just for hdmi out. That makes sense. Thank you. Interestingly the video_mode setting messed up the hdmi but didn’t seem to change the CRT image.
FoxbatStargazer
Top Contributor

Unread post by FoxbatStargazer »

IandMR wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 10:50 am Ah. I see. So the information screen is just for hdmi out. That makes sense. Thank you. Interestingly the video_mode setting messed up the hdmi but didn’t seem to change the CRT image.
By default for most cores the VGA out is original resolution only and bypasses the scaler, and the scaler is only used for HDMI. You can push the scaler output over VGA with the vga_scaler=1 setting, but then your video_mode needs to be an appropriate resolution for the CRT.

The information screen should have two numbers on resolution, top one is the original/analog default and bottom is scaled.
IandMR

Unread post by IandMR »

Thanks again. You have been so helpful and patient answering a few of my questions, not to mention kind in passing on your considerable knowledge.