NTSC vs PAL autoswitching clarification

Discussion about displays and related hardware including MiSTer filters and video settings.
rhester72
Top Contributor

NTSC vs PAL autoswitching clarification

Unread post by rhester72 »

Posting in Newcomers because I'm assuming the answer is obvious and I'm just daft. :)

Ideally, I'd like a "hands-off" approach to regional video output (to HDMI)...so in a more refined example, I'd like US Genesis games to display at ~60Hz, and PAL Genesis games to display at ~50Hz without intervention.

vsync_adjust=2 comes close, but unfortunately not quite close enough - for example, if the target is 60.1 and it (seemingly somewhat arbitrarily, because it changes subtly between launches) picks 59.9, the resulting 'stutter' is (at least to me) more observable than just a fixed 60Hz.

OK, so I figure I'll do this:

Code: Select all

[Genesis]
video_mode_ntsc=0
video_mode_pal=7
vsync_adjust=0
...and then I get fixed 60Hz for both NTSC and PAL, which isn't what's desired, either. It's almost as if (at least for the Genesis core) video_mode_pal is ignored.

Thinking I was crazy, I went so far as to force the region to EU, turned off auto-region and loaded a game with a known PAL header...and yet still got 60Hz.

Am I missing something completely obvious that will let me just have fixed (separate) rates for NTSC and PAL without using vsync_adjust?
Threepwood

Re: NTSC vs PAL autoswitching clarification

Unread post by Threepwood »

I gave it a quick test and different NTSC and PAL modes only work on vsync_adjust 1 and 2, not on 0.
rhester72
Top Contributor

Unread post by rhester72 »

Agreed - that's a shame. It'd be nice if you could shift video modes without tinkering with fine-grain refresh rate.
retrorepair

Unread post by retrorepair »

You could use RGB output and a scaler such as OSSC for this.