KFC 15" CRT via HDMI-VGA adapter and scanlines?

Discussion about displays and related hardware including MiSTer filters and video settings.
emuola

KFC 15" CRT via HDMI-VGA adapter and scanlines?

Unread post by emuola »

Running latest version of MiSTer and the aforementioned CRT for vertical arcade cores via HDMI-VGA-adapter (VGA is hooked up to Sony BVM for horizontal cores).

The picture quality is very good (I know the KFC is not a premium CRT anyway), but I'm kinda disappointed by the lack of scanlines :o I guess as the KFC is only 15" and the lowest scandoubled resolution is 640x480@60 the scanlines are just too tiny?

Or am I completely insane once again?😁

FoxbatStargazer
Top Contributor

Re: KFC 15" CRT via HDMI-VGA adapter and scanlines?

Unread post by FoxbatStargazer »

...is that Kentucky Fried Chicken? :p

480p scanlines are tiny, even when visible its never as honking big as 240p. Standard Definition sets were aimed at 480i, the gaps in 240p are visible mainly because it was never a resolution intended by the TV industry.

emuola

Unread post by emuola »

FoxbatStargazer wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2023 7:41 am

...is that Kentucky Fried Chicken? :p

480p scanlines are tiny, even when visible its never as honking big as 240p. Standard Definition sets were aimed at 480i, the gaps in 240p are visible mainly because it was never a resolution intended by the TV industry.

That's what I thought, thanks for confirming my theory :) It's kinda funny that the Taiwanese CRT company has the same letters in their name as the famous fast food one 😁

Retro-Nerd

Unread post by Retro-Nerd »

More detailed Infos for "Low Definition Television"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Low-definition_television

emuola

Unread post by emuola »

Retro-Nerd wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2023 1:50 pm

More detailed Infos for "Low Definition Television"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Low-definition_television

Thanks for the link, Retro-Nerd 👍 I was wondering, is there anything I can do, e.g. what would be the best settings to have the most visible scanlines with my setup? Without setting the resolution and force_scandoubler=1 in the Mister.ini it seems to run the KFC with scandoubled 1024x768.

I know I should get me a "proper" 15.75Khz capable CRT in addition to my BVM, but they're just soo expensive and hard to find/get shipped.

akeley
Top Contributor

Unread post by akeley »

If, as I understand, this KFC is a 31KHz PC monitor, you can just use the Video Processing Filters from the OSD.

I'm stuck with a VGA PC monitor as my only CRT atm and this is a sort of compromise (I use slightly tweaked PVM / JVC presets). It's neither fish nor fowl really, if we are talking serious CRT addiction ( I really miss my consumer 15kHz RGB Trinitrons), but I still prefer it over a modern panel.

emuola

Unread post by emuola »

akeley wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2023 7:05 am

If, as I understand, this KFC is a 31KHz PC monitor, you can just use the Video Processing Filters from the OSD.

I'm stuck with a VGA PC monitor as my only CRT atm and this is a sort of compromise (I use slightly tweaked PVM / JVC presets). It's neither fish nor fowl really, if we are talking serious CRT addiction ( I really miss my consumer 15kHz RGB Trinitrons), but I still prefer it over a modern panel.

Thanks for the tip, Akeley 👍 I had completely ignored the filters when using a CRT 🤦‍♂️

FoxbatStargazer
Top Contributor

Unread post by FoxbatStargazer »

You made it sound like you were using directvideo with the monitor on its side when you brought up the scandoubler, but maybe not? Scandoubler will give you basic scanline/scandoublerfx options in most cores. If you want to use the fancier filters, you need to turn off direct_video and supply a resolution compatible with your display. (maybe 1920x1440 if you are lucky.) That also opens up digital rotation on most cores if you can bear the 1 frame delay.

thorr
Top Contributor

Unread post by thorr »

I think the solution to get the scanlines you want is to set up a roughly 120Hz video mode with the scaler. I don't have one handy at the moment other than this one, but I created it for DOS games that are at 70.1Hz, not 60 Hz and the resolution is too low for most things (320x200). You could try it with something like NES to see how the scan lines look at least. Then you could work on getting a 120Hz higher resolution video_mode. It won't be completely lag free, but it might look nice.

[NES]
video_mode=320,24,49,38,200,2,2,20,13535,0,1 ; 320x200@140.2Hz@31.4kHz DOS CGA/EGA/Adventure games with scanlines
(plus the settings to turn off direct video and turn on the scaler)