Best / easiest way to connect to a Sony PVM-14N5U monitor?

Discussion about displays and related hardware including MiSTer filters and video settings.
shazz

Best / easiest way to connect to a Sony PVM-14N5U monitor?

Unread post by shazz »

Hi,

I just found a Sony PVM-14N5U on the street, works pretty well with my (real) C64 so now I'd like to use it my my Mister, what is the best / easiest way?

This monitor is compatible PAL and NTSC nd has 2 possible inputs:
- Y/C (S-video) 4 pins
- Composite

Should I use the IO Board VGA output then find a converter? Or a direct HDMI-VGA converter ?

Thanks!

Monitor specs: https://www.broadcaststore.com/pdf/mode ... /17906.pdf

Picture:
sdgsdjyy.jpg
sdgsdjyy.jpg (342.17 KiB) Viewed 6674 times
shazz

Re: Best / easiest way to connect to a Sony PVM-14N5U monitor?

Unread post by shazz »

Ok so I guess that's pretty tricky :)
akeley
Top Contributor

Unread post by akeley »

viewtopic.php?f=33&t=336

Probably best asking @antoniovillena from this thread, he makes dedicated S-Video/Composite adapters. Perhaps HDMI-VGA would work with them but I'm not 100% sure.

Or maybe one of these cheap arcade VGA-Composite converters from ebay would work too...Though the aforementioned adapter has a fair price already (25E).
shazz

Unread post by shazz »

Thanks!
I ordered one of antonio's adapter! Hopefully that will make it!
shazz

Unread post by shazz »

For those who may have the same problem oneday, here is the solution.

Required: Buy Antonio's VGA to Composite/S-video adapter (https://www.antoniovillena.es/store/pro ... o-adapter/)

Then you have 2 options, I did not see any compatibility difference (same cores work, same core don't work), quality is better with direct video mode

- Option 1 : Buy a HDMI to VGA adapter which is compatible, this is the tricky thing, it has to supply 5V on the VGA pin 9 (KEY/PWR) to power Antonio's adapter. VERY FEW adapter seem to do it or I was very unlucky. And maybe that's not enough to be working.

- Option 2 : Buy a IO Board (I ordered a v5.5, works well)

On amazon, I bought the following HDMI to VGA adapters, only one is working, the first one from the left: Rankie 1080P Active HDTV HDMI to VGA Adapter (Male to Female) Converter (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00ZMV7RL2/) which has an audio output too!

In terms of experience, as my PVM accepts S-Video and Composite, I tried both:
  • S-Video is definitively better when using the IO Board
  • S-Video is a little bit more stable using the HDMI to VGA adapter
  • I was not able to notice a difference between the IO Board audio and the Direct mode audio but I did not try with very good speakers/headphones
Most of the cores work (remember, a lot of arcade core are flipped, you'll have to flip your TV too :D) and that's really another experience or let's say differently, as it was 30 years ago when I was using the "real" hardware and a monitor or a TV.
Attachments
adapters.jpg
adapters.jpg (910.89 KiB) Viewed 6614 times
aberu
Core Developer

Unread post by aberu »

Antonio hasn't made this public for some reason, but his composite adapter has issues, and he has a new version he has been working on. I would hold off on buying any of his current models. I bought one and have significant buyer's remorse. He told me in an email that I can buy the next version to fix the issue I was having (significant artifacts of red and green around brighter colors, especially white, very visible and jarring). He sent me a thread from the old mister forums where he claimed sorgelig should fix it on his end, but sorg gave him the solution, and this was almost a year ago. I was not pleased that he knew there was this really unsatisfactory result, he knew how to fix it on his end, and he is still making new units and selling them without informing customers. Then when you have this undesirable result and ask him about it, he tells you that you can have the opportunity to buy the next version that fixes it. He really shouldn't even be making these at the moment until the new version is ready. Buyer beware.
birdybro~
shazz

Unread post by shazz »

@Aberu, on my side I did not notice major problems and Antonio was pretty fast to answer any of my questions. Composite is less stable than S-Video (picture is a little wobbly) but I guess this is expected with Composite So I did not have the same (bad) experience.

Can you post a picture of the issues you have so that I can compare ?
antibolo

Unread post by antibolo »

aberu wrote: Sat Aug 22, 2020 9:16 pm Antonio hasn't made this public for some reason, but his composite adapter has issues, and he has a new version he has been working on. I would hold off on buying any of his current models. I bought one and have significant buyer's remorse. He told me in an email that I can buy the next version to fix the issue I was having (significant artifacts of red and green around brighter colors, especially white, very visible and jarring). He sent me a thread from the old mister forums where he claimed sorgelig should fix it on his end, but sorg gave him the solution, and this was almost a year ago. I was not pleased that he knew there was this really unsatisfactory result, he knew how to fix it on his end, and he is still making new units and selling them without informing customers. Then when you have this undesirable result and ask him about it, he tells you that you can have the opportunity to buy the next version that fixes it. He really shouldn't even be making these at the moment until the new version is ready. Buyer beware.
Well crap, I currently have one on the way to me :(
antibolo

Quick update: Got my Antonio adapter today. The reason I bought it was to connect my (analog i/o board equipped) MiSTer to my Commodore 1702 monitor, via S-video (and a 2xRCA to S-video adapter, which I already owned).

Looks ok so far, although the entire picture seems slightly too red. Might just be that monitor's fault, though, it has seen better days. I've turned down the COLOR knob slightly and it looks better now. Only NTSC mode works, PAL mode gives me a strictly monochrome picture, but I guess maybe the North American version of that monitor doesn't support PAL colorspace, I've never tried had the occasion to test it before. 50Hz does work fine though.

All in all I'm satisfied with this adapter.
shertz

Unread post by shertz »

antibolo wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 7:53 pm Quick update: Got my Antonio adapter today. The reason I bought it was to connect my (analog i/o board equipped) MiSTer to my Commodore 1702 monitor, via S-video (and a 2xRCA to S-video adapter, which I already owned).

Looks ok so far, although the entire picture seems slightly too red. Might just be that monitor's fault, though, it has seen better days. I've turned down the COLOR knob slightly and it looks better now. Only NTSC mode works, PAL mode gives me a strictly monochrome picture, but I guess maybe the North American version of that monitor doesn't support PAL colorspace, I've never tried had the occasion to test it before. 50Hz does work fine though.

How did you get it to work with the 1702?? I tried 3 of my 1702's and I get this 'pulsing' image. See video...

https://youtu.be/62HsLadc5FQ

There was another person who also couldn't get this adapter to work with the 1701. Maybe there's something different inside your 1702.
antibolo

shertz wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 4:19 am
antibolo wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 7:53 pm Quick update: Got my Antonio adapter today. The reason I bought it was to connect my (analog i/o board equipped) MiSTer to my Commodore 1702 monitor, via S-video (and a 2xRCA to S-video adapter, which I already owned).

How did you get it to work with the 1702?? I tried 3 of my 1702's and I get this 'pulsing' image. See video...

There was another person who also couldn't get this adapter to work with the 1701. Maybe there's something different inside your 1702.
Not sure what is happening here, can you test it with another S-video source than the MiSTer?
MikeS1
Core Developer

Unread post by MikeS1 »

If you're curious, I make my own converter based thats build on the better AD724 chip and I do not get any pulsing on my 1702 monitor: https://github.com/MikeS11/MiSTerCRT
shertz

Unread post by shertz »

MikeS1 wrote: Tue Jul 06, 2021 3:40 am

If you're curious, I make my own converter based thats build on the better AD724 chip and I do not get any pulsing on my 1702 monitor: https://github.com/MikeS11/MiSTerCRT

I'm intrigued. If someone can build one for me I would like to test it out on my 1702.
beamrider

Unread post by beamrider »

MikeS1 wrote: Tue Jul 06, 2021 3:40 am If you're curious, I make my own converter based thats build on the better AD724 chip and I do not get any pulsing on my 1702 monitor: https://github.com/MikeS11/MiSTerCRT
Could this be adapted for PAL?