Digital TV display lag thread.

Discussion about displays and related hardware including MiSTer filters and video settings.
redsteakraw

Digital TV display lag thread.

Unread post by redsteakraw »

So I just got a CRT tv and was able to do the lag test in the 240p test suite. You hook both TVs up at the same time and have them both in view and just snap a picture of both screens to see how many frames behind the Digital TV is as CRTs should be lag free. Post the make and model of your TVs so we can gauge which TVs are low lag and good with the MiSTer.
Fear is the mind killer!
redsteakraw

Re: Digital TV display lag thread.

LG 49UK6200PUA

lag less than 1 frame.

I took several pictures and half show almost the same frame. Meaning the display has less than a frame of lag to one frame of lag.
This is in game mode with all signal processing and effects turned off. Using native MiSTer HDMI output.
Fear is the mind killer!
ethern0t

Unread post by ethern0t »

Random idea - could we achieve something similar without a CRT by using the user LED's on the board? For example, turn on all LED's once per second with a rolling frame counter displayed over HDMI on the television, and you shoot a video with your phone (on high speed mode if you have it) to catch the right frame?
redsteakraw

ethern0t wrote: Sat Jun 06, 2020 4:05 pm Random idea - could we achieve something similar without a CRT by using the user LED's on the board? For example, turn on all LED's once per second with a rolling frame counter displayed over HDMI on the television, and you shoot a video with your phone (on high speed mode if you have it) to catch the right frame?
I thought about that now there is the beginnings of micro LEDs screens using module elements with a custom controller this may be possible however you will have to emulate the phosphorous slowly dimming. That being said having 1 frame of display lag roughly 16.7ms is hardly perceptible I was surprised how well my LG tv faired. Do you have a CRT if so you should test your screens lag using the 240p test suite.
Fear is the mind killer!
Grabulosaure
Core Developer

Unread post by Grabulosaure »

There is a work-in-progress thingy to measure screen latency by using blinking rectangles, like the Time Sleuth lag tester.

Rectangles are added to existing cores (to test in "real conditions"), here is a version for Genesis/Megadrive:
https://github.com/Grabulosaure/Genesis_MiSTer
http://temlib.org/pub/mister/Genesis_latest.rbf

A sensor need to be connected to the USER_IO[1] pin = D- on the USB connector on the IO board, using 3.3V power supply.

Tests have been made with an Arduino photodiode module (https://www.ebay.fr/itm/10PCS-LM393-lig ... 2050637797), but some modules seem to be incompatible. I will try other sensors soon (such as a simple LED).