Ipad 3/4 Display with HDMI converter board

Discussion about displays and related hardware including MiSTer filters and video settings.
Bartdesign

Ipad 3/4 Display with HDMI converter board

Unread post by Bartdesign »

Hi,

I recently ordered an iPad display with an HDMI converter board. I'm unable to get it to work with the MiSTer. The reseller stated it was a newer revision of the HDMI board. And its correct, it uses USB-C as input power, and has a mini HDMI connector instead of a full size connector.

Here is a picture:
thumbnail_IMG_6824.jpg
thumbnail_IMG_6824.jpg (360.54 KiB) Viewed 103783 times
It works fine on my computer; it reports as an 2048x1536@59Hz display. And if i put an custom resolution with 60Hz in the NVidia panel it works at 60hz too. Here is the custom resolution:
thumbnail_image0.jpg
thumbnail_image0.jpg (328.32 KiB) Viewed 103783 times
On my MiSTer I've enabled DVI mode, and I've tried the resolution mode 13, after that I've tried sorgelig's modeline from the display topic:

Code: Select all

video_mode=2048,48,32,80,1536,2,4,38,209250 
But sadly nothing gives me a picture. The display goes straight to sleep. Then I've tried to make my own line from the info from the Nvidia panel.

The line i came up with was:

video_mode=2048,48,32,80,1536,2,6,33,208921
But sadly that does not work either.

Is there somebody else that has got this working? Or somebody that can give me a hint in the right direction? Any help is much appreciated! :)
xn00dlesx

Re: Ipad 3/4 Display with HDMI converter board

Unread post by xn00dlesx »

I have a similar version of this board and got it to work in regular HDMI mode (dvi_mode=0) and video_mode=13. It also accepts 1080p from MiSTer as well with video_mode=8. The board I'm using is the following: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32976761044.html
Bartdesign

Thanks xnoodless,

I was supposed to get the same one as you have, but they messaged me it was going to be the newer revision.

I did some more testing, with different cables, DVI mode off, resolution 8 and 13 again. But yet again the display detects no image source. I also tested a range of other devices on the ipad display like the Nintendo Switch, Analogue SNES FPGA and my PC again and they all work fine; on 720p and 1080p@60 and @50 and on 2048x1536. So the only device that is not working is the MiSTer, also i retested the HDMI port of the MiSTer on my samsung TV and Dell monitor and it still works fine.

Seems that i'm the victim of the picky HDMI of the DE-10 NANO. There must be an incompatibility somewhere. I will try to order the same one as you have.

Maybe somebody else knows if there is any kind of debug logging for HDMI handshakes or something? Any way to see why it fails?
flynnsbit
Top Contributor

Unread post by flynnsbit »

Bartdesign wrote: Sun Jul 26, 2020 2:27 pm Thanks xnoodless,

I was supposed to get the same one as you have, but they messaged me it was going to be the newer revision.

I did some more testing, with different cables, DVI mode off, resolution 8 and 13 again. But yet again the display detects no image source. I also tested a range of other devices on the ipad display like the Nintendo Switch, Analogue SNES FPGA and my PC again and they all work fine; on 720p and 1080p@60 and @50 and on 2048x1536. So the only device that is not working is the MiSTer, also i retested the HDMI port of the MiSTer on my samsung TV and Dell monitor and it still works fine.

Seems that i'm the victim of the picky HDMI of the DE-10 NANO. There must be an incompatibility somewhere. I will try to order the same one as you have.

Maybe somebody else knows if there is any kind of debug logging for HDMI handshakes or something? Any way to see why it fails?
Where did you order it from? Ali or Amazon?
xn00dlesx

Unread post by xn00dlesx »

flynnsbit wrote: Sun Jul 26, 2020 3:28 pm
Bartdesign wrote: Sun Jul 26, 2020 2:27 pm Thanks xnoodless,

Where did you order it from? Ali or Amazon?
from AliExpress: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32976761044.html

it took about 2 weeks to arrive to the US.
Bartdesign

I orderd it from aliexpress too, i just checked but the listing is offline now. So i cannot post a link anymore.
steveskr

Unread post by steveskr »

I bought one of the lcd-rgb boards (model 2018-1 v2.2 -- uses round power plug, not USB-C) along with an iPad 3 display from AliExpress. Happy to post links if I can get mine working. Unfortunately mine didn't come with the power plug adapter (which I see in nearly every photo of the board). Silly question, but does anyone know what size power plug is used with the board? The documentation is.. sparse.. and the plug isn't a typical size.
flynnsbit
Top Contributor

I got mine off an old netbook charger. 12V and it looks like it is 3.5mm but I had to use my calipers so not sure if that is exact.
steveskr

I bought a 12V 3A adapter from Amazon with a 3.5mm connector and an adapter to convert that to the 1.35mm connector on the HDMI converter board. I updated my mister.ini with settings for the iPad 3 display (1536p) and attempted to boot. No video on the iPad display and the two LEDs near the power connector on the converter board are flashing.

Here's a photo of my setup.. Any ideas? Dead converter board?

IMG-5699.jpg
IMG-5699.jpg (2.16 MiB) Viewed 103629 times
Bartdesign

Hi Steveskr, can you connect to ipad screen to a normal PC to see if it works with that?

My controller board did work with a normal computer but it didn't work with the MiSTer. I'm still waiting for the other controller board linked from aliexpress. I will post my results when it is in.

I really hope my hdmi board works, otherwise this could be another issue with certain MiSTers? I cannot find any reason why this should work with my current board in the first place.

I thought Sorgelig has an iPad screen too. I wonder if he has tested his display on multiple DE10nano's, or just one?
flynnsbit
Top Contributor

steveskr wrote: Sat Aug 01, 2020 10:32 pm I bought a 12V 3A adapter from Amazon with a 3.5mm connector and an adapter to convert that to the 1.35mm connector on the HDMI converter board. I updated my mister.ini with settings for the iPad 3 display (1536p) and attempted to boot. No video on the iPad display and the two LEDs near the power connector on the converter board are flashing.

This looks correct, though your daughter board with the control buttons looks like the connector could be pushed in more on one side. You will know if its working if it turns on and off with power and the light goes solid red and you should see "QHD display" on the screen, even without HDMI plugged in. It will show for a good 5 seconds.
chanunnaki

Unread post by chanunnaki »

steveskr wrote: Sat Aug 01, 2020 10:32 pm I bought a 12V 3A adapter from Amazon with a 3.5mm connector and an adapter to convert that to the 1.35mm connector on the HDMI converter board. I updated my mister.ini with settings for the iPad 3 display (1536p) and attempted to boot. No video on the iPad display and the two LEDs near the power connector on the converter board are flashing.

Did you get this working?

I'm powering my display through the microUSB port and I feel the image is quite dim.

I was worried about giving 12V as MicroUSB is normally just 5V and thought maybe that is what caused your display/board to not function.

I then noticed a comment on AliExpress that providing the board with 12V results in a much brighter image. I'm considering giving a shot.
chanunnaki

Unread post by chanunnaki »

I tried the 12V/1.2A... all I can say is "WOW!".

The term "night and day difference" is very appropriate here. The screen is now exceptionally vivid.

(I didn't pay too much attention to the dim screen as my PVM arrived just a few days after I got the iPad Screen, but due to the dimness, i was gonna dump the iPad screen... Am I glad I didn't! It's so hard to choose which one I prefer the look of now.
flynnsbit
Top Contributor

Yup, and make sure and turn up overdrive all the way. It will remove any latency and get it very close to a CRT.
flynnsbit
Top Contributor

I also noticed on my second screen that the black flat cable with the white letters can go into the little daughter board but not actually be seated in the connector. If the little white line on the ribbon is visible you have not pushed it far enough in which can cause the display not to come on but the backlight will. lift up the little gate mechanism and push the cable in until you feel it stop, try the display again. You should be able to hit power, see the red light, and get "QHD" on the display without anything plugged in. If you can't even get that far then I would guess it is power related.
Bartdesign

So i've got my 2nd controller board. And still it doenst work. I've tried 12v, i get the screen OSD when the power is on. Also when i connect the PC and the SuperNT they work fine.

I have two DE10Nano's both dont give any image on the new controller board(red) or the older version (green).

I don't know what to test anymore. I tried multiple HDMI cables, multiple power adapters. Nothing works. I Turn on the DE10Nano and it doesnt give any image, the ipad screen stays in standby mode.

Why oh why is my setup so stuborn.
Bartdesign

Ok, I just tried another cable and it finally works. I'm very suprised becuase other devices work fine with these cables. The first two cables ive tried where mini hdmi -> hdmi (kind of a thin cable) and it didnt work. Then i tried a very short HDMI cable which worked fine with the Super NT and ipad screen. But i didn't work in mister.

Then finally i tried a thicker HDMI shielded cable and that works right away. So it seems that the MiSTer HDMI port is a bit more sensitive. I'm happy it works now ;-)

Maybe this helps somebody else later on.
jca
Top Contributor

Unread post by jca »

Are you using HDMI to HDMI cable or HDMI to Mini HDMI?
Bartdesign

So i've tried an HDMI to Mini HDMI cable, didnt work with MiSTer but it did with other devices.
Also i tried a short HDMI to HDMI cable from aliexpres, also didn't work with MiSTer but it did with the other devices.

And then i tried a thicker HDMI to HDMI cable; it feels shielded. And that works with MiSTer, such a relief it works now.
jca
Top Contributor

Unread post by jca »

Thanks for the answer. I was not sure if the controller HDMI input was enabled as the Chinese description is a little thin and seems to imply Mini HDMI. Regarding the DE10-nano HDMI it has been mentioned several times that the output seems "weak". Someone mentioned that a HDMI repeater can solve difficult problems.
flynnsbit
Top Contributor

Just FYI, both my Mini HDMI and HDMI ports both work with MiSTer.
vypr

Unread post by vypr »

Anybody know if this power adapter will work?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01N2K48HR/
Bartdesign

Im using a 12v 2A adapter.
vypr

Unread post by vypr »

Thanks, I don’t want to assume, but can anyone also confirm if the power is center positive polarity?
steveskr

Hi, I ordered a replacement HDMI board for my rig as I assumed the one I received from AliExpress was defective (it was). Just received a replacement yesterday from an Ebay seller. I'm getting a green light on the HDMI board when I plug in power, and the on/off switch seems to work correctly (forward progress).

I've configured my mister.ini file with video settings as per this thread, but the iPad3 display still isn't working. If I connect an HDMI cable from my Windows 10 PC to it, Windows recognizes the display (2048/1536) but my iPad3 display is dark. I've tried every option (mirroring my main display, setting it as my primary monitor, etc) -- no video. I get a brief flash on the display when I turn on/off the HDMI board, so I assume it's not completely dead.

Suppose it's possible that the defective HDMI board fried the iPad3 display that I purchased. Has anyone else dealt with what appears to be a black display on the iPad3 screen? Not quite sure what to try next, other than replacing the display itself..

FWIW, I'm using a 12V, 3A adapter with the HDMI converter.
Bartdesign wrote: Tue Aug 11, 2020 7:43 pm Hi Steveskr, can you connect to ipad screen to a normal PC to see if it works with that?

My controller board did work with a normal computer but it didn't work with the MiSTer. I'm still waiting for the other controller board linked from aliexpress. I will post my results when it is in.

I really hope my hdmi board works, otherwise this could be another issue with certain MiSTers? I cannot find any reason why this should work with my current board in the first place.

I thought Sorgelig has an iPad screen too. I wonder if he has tested his display on multiple DE10nano's, or just one?
flynnsbit
Top Contributor

steveskr wrote: Sun Aug 16, 2020 7:17 pm Hi, I ordered a replacement HDMI board for my rig as I assumed the one I received from AliExpress was defective (it was). Just received a replacement yesterday from an Ebay seller. I'm getting a green light on the HDMI board when I plug in power, and the on/off switch seems to work correctly (forward progress).

I've configured my mister.ini file with video settings as per this thread, but the iPad3 display still isn't working. If I connect an HDMI cable from my Windows 10 PC to it, Windows recognizes the display (2048/1536) but my iPad3 display is dark. I've tried every option (mirroring my main display, setting it as my primary monitor, etc) -- no video. I get a brief flash on the display when I turn on/off the HDMI board, so I assume it's not completely dead.

Suppose it's possible that the defective HDMI board fried the iPad3 display that I purchased. Has anyone else dealt with what appears to be a black display on the iPad3 screen? Not quite sure what to try next, other than replacing the display itself..

Bartdesign wrote: Tue Aug 11, 2020 7:43 pm Hi Steveskr, can you connect to ipad screen to a normal PC to see if it works with that?

I know it's a silly question, but are you positive that your ribbon cables are in all the way and the correct orientation? Also, there are extra pins on each side of the cable for the buttons board and you have to make sure it is in all the way and off set towards pin 1 on each connector. The black ribbon cable needed a bit of force to go "all the way" in instead of just half way. It feels like it is in all the way but really isn't. You should always see the blue logo come up on the display without a source. Either it is your ribbon cables, buttons board, or your power is wrong. Barrel connector only, 12v and something 2amp and over. Don't use the USB for power. Hopefully it is one of those things.
mrtomato

Unread post by mrtomato »

Bartdesign wrote: Sat Jul 25, 2020 1:02 pm Hi,

I recently ordered an iPad display with an HDMI converter board. I'm unable to get it to work with the MiSTer. The reseller stated it was a newer revision of the HDMI board. And its correct, it uses USB-C as input power, and has a mini HDMI connector instead of a full size connector.

Here is a picture:
thumbnail_IMG_6824.jpg

It works fine on my computer; it reports as an 2048x1536@59Hz display. And if i put an custom resolution with 60Hz in the NVidia panel it works at 60hz too. Here is the custom resolution:
thumbnail_image0.jpg

On my MiSTer I've enabled DVI mode, and I've tried the resolution mode 13, after that I've tried sorgelig's modeline from the display topic:

video_mode=2048,48,32,80,1536,2,4,38,209250 
But sadly nothing gives me a picture. The display goes straight to sleep. Then I've tried to make my own line from the info from the Nvidia panel.

The line i came up with was:

video_mode=2048,48,32,80,1536,2,6,33,208921
But sadly that does not work either.

Is there somebody else that has got this working? Or somebody that can give me a hint in the right direction? Any help is much appreciated! :)
Maybe try other USB-C power adapter since Switch adapter isn’t fully support Power Delivery.
steveskr

Thank you! The problem was indeed that the black ribbon cable from the iPad screen wasn't pushed in all the way -- it is important to push it in firmly until it "clicks" into place. MiSTer looks beautiful on this little display, can't wait to mount it in a case of some kind..
IMG-5780.jpg
IMG-5780.jpg (2.49 MiB) Viewed 101859 times
flynnsbit wrote: Tue Aug 18, 2020 3:31 pm
steveskr wrote: Sun Aug 16, 2020 7:17 pm Hi, I ordered a replacement HDMI board for my rig as I assumed the one I received from AliExpress was defective (it was). Just received a replacement yesterday from an Ebay seller. I'm getting a green light on the HDMI board when I plug in power, and the on/off switch seems to work correctly (forward progress).

I know it's a silly question, but are you positive that your ribbon cables are in all the way and the correct orientation? Also, there are extra pins on each side of the cable for the buttons board and you have to make sure it is in all the way and off set towards pin 1 on each connector. The black ribbon cable needed a bit of force to go "all the way" in instead of just half way. It feels like it is in all the way but really isn't. You should always see the blue logo come up on the display without a source. Either it is your ribbon cables, buttons board, or your power is wrong. Barrel connector only, 12v and something 2amp and over. Don't use the USB for power. Hopefully it is one of those things.
flynnsbit
Top Contributor

steveskr wrote: Wed Aug 19, 2020 4:41 pm Thank you! The problem was indeed that the black ribbon cable from the iPad screen wasn't pushed in all the way -- it is important to push it in firmly until it "clicks" into place. MiSTer looks beautiful on this little display, can't wait to mount it in a case of some kind..

IMG-5780.jpg

Cool, yeah that got me on one of my displays and the flashing of the screen threw me off from my normal troubleshooting steps. That second push on the cable gives you that "ohhhh, that was it" feeling.

Now print you a CRT enclosure for it. ;-)

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4539779

20200628_171349.md.jpg
20200628_171349.md.jpg (245.83 KiB) Viewed 101676 times
20200628_150527.md.jpg
20200628_150527.md.jpg (156.03 KiB) Viewed 101676 times
steveskr

Cool, yeah that got me on one of my displays and the flashing of the screen threw me off from my normal troubleshooting steps. That second push on the cable gives you that "ohhhh, that was it" feeling.

Now print you a CRT enclosure for it. ;-)

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4539779
Spectacular job! I'm sure I'd join a long line of folks who would buy one if you were selling them. What material did you use for the prints?