Think a cost effective s-video only io board will be made?

Discussion about displays and related hardware including MiSTer filters and video settings.
MiSTerEggman

Think a cost effective s-video only io board will be made?

Unread post by MiSTerEggman »

So for now I got De10, 128MB SDRAM, 256GB MicroSD card (MicroCenter, the new blue variant that faster than the previous black variant), MakerSpot usb hub, Heat sink/fan/PCB plate combo, in line dc switch (on the way), and Etsy Birchwood case (on the way) because it accommodates a piecemealed set up unlike full on enclosures. Immediately head over heels in love. This has got to be the coolest thing I’ve experienced even beyond ODE’s and flash carts just because of the limitless possibilities. And bridging the gap on some systems I was in a pickle with financially and space wise (SNES/ NES/ MD/ MCD/ exploring into some really new ones all together)

SO ANYWAYS ... I have a Sony 14” 14N5U that accepts S-Video and almost certainly will want to get MiSTer rigged to it since I’ve had EXCELLENT results with my GBPlayer / light GC use /64 and Saturn hardware hooked up to it but...

Held off for now On splurging for Standard IO board, and Antonio Villena’s S-video add on since would have to wait for the latter from Spain to US and because its net $75 more not including 3.5 to RCA and S-video male to male cables. When I do make the dive, all in it will probably be roughly another $100 or lower $100.

I’m wondering if you think it would be reasonable to expect less heavy duty IO boards to come to market down the road, for examples ones that just output s-video.. that would be PERFECT for my immediate uses. Dont need VGA RGB (even though I’d be converting the signal) itself any time soon, if ever.
rhester72
Top Contributor

Re: Think a cost effective s-video only io board will be made?

Unread post by rhester72 »

Personally, I rather doubt it - these days s-video is considered a niche within a niche. It's a hobbyist project, so anything could happen, but I wouldn't bet on this.
retrorepair

Unread post by retrorepair »

There's not much room on there for something like this.

I have a breakout video board coming up that I'm considering adding S video to, but you may be out of luck if you wanted it in the same form factor as the current IO board.
ash2fpga

Unread post by ash2fpga »

Not sure about inexpensive, but there are a couple projects out there for s-video. I have been keeping an eye on such a device coming out.

Axun Workshop - RGB-2YC
https://twitter.com/drfunkenstein2k/sta ... 2695065601

RetroTINK VGA2NTSC
https://github.com/jnftech/vga2ntsc-kicad
akeley
Top Contributor

Unread post by akeley »

Pure VGA can be probably converted using devices like Jrok. There are cheap ones on Ali and ebay.

But there is only a handful of 31Khz VGA cores. So perhaps a Direct Video chain like (HDMI to VGA DAC) > (VGA to S Video) cable could work for you.
BamaMatt

Unread post by BamaMatt »

S video may be a niche within a niche, but it easily and cheaply converts to composite which covers basically every crt in the US.
MiSTerEggman

Unread post by MiSTerEggman »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rmassx9hJP8

What s-video io board is this (and plastic case) @ 10 seconds?

Both look kinda perfect
mrchrister
Scripting Wizard

Unread post by mrchrister »

was wondering the same thing?
BigMac2

Unread post by BigMac2 »

MiSTerEggman wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 1:52 pm https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rmassx9hJP8

Both look kinda perfect
This is what you are looking for viewtopic.php?f=29&t=2348&sid=94c7eff0d ... 3fd46b1b51
silpheed

Unread post by silpheed »

BigMac2 wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 3:18 am
MiSTerEggman wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 1:52 pm https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rmassx9hJP8

Both look kinda perfect
This is what you are looking for viewtopic.php?f=29&t=2348&sid=94c7eff0d ... 3fd46b1b51
Link is dead. Would someone care to reveal the secret? I want a mister with fries and composite, please!
BigMac2

Unread post by BigMac2 »

silpheed wrote: Wed Aug 18, 2021 6:14 am
BigMac2 wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 3:18 am

Both look kinda perfect
Link is dead. Would someone care to reveal the secret? I want a mister with fries and composite, please!
Have you find this?
https://www.antoniovillena.es/store/pro ... o-adapter/
silpheed

BigMac2 wrote: Wed Aug 18, 2021 11:49 pm Have you find this?
I do know of this option, but I would like to know what this i/o board is that has been shown in RetroRGB's video. I've seen comments in his video asking the same question, but no answer. Google searches don't reveal anything either.
thorr
Top Contributor

Unread post by thorr »

I think I saw this a few weeks ago on aliexpress. I just did another search and found it:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005002862595291.html

It's the Saturn version. Scroll down to see more pictures. The connector is like Svideo with extra pins so it can do component and RGBs also. It also has USB ports and SNAC. Looks great. Aliexpress has cables too:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32867358245.html

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32809862005.html
silpheed

That's the one, many thanks!
MikeS1
Core Developer

Unread post by MikeS1 »

silpheed wrote: Thu Aug 19, 2021 3:13 pm
I do know of this option, but I would like to know what this i/o board is that has been shown in RetroRGB's video. I've seen comments in his video asking the same question, but no answer. Google searches don't reveal anything either.
That IO Board in the video looks to be using one of the AD27X chips, though I could be wrong.
antoniovillena

Unread post by antoniovillena »

MikeS1 wrote: Wed Aug 25, 2021 10:36 pm
That IO Board in the video looks to be using one of the AD27X chips, though I could be wrong.
Yes. It has AD723
CMR

Unread post by CMR »

Rather than coming up with a new board it might be better to just mod the firmware so mister can output it natively using those monoprice VGA to S-Video cables. I don't know how hard that would be, but I do know that component is just an evolution of S-Video with the chroma signal further broken down into two separate signals Pb and Pr. Y, if I'm not mistaken, is luminance for both.
FoxbatStargazer
Top Contributor

Unread post by FoxbatStargazer »

Y is always luminance (black and white). S-Video combines Pb and Pr into a single C signal, component separates those two. Sync is on Y for both. So as I understand it, basically we would just need an ini setting to combine Pb/Pr into C and we'd probably be good to go with one of those converters.
MikeS1
Core Developer

Unread post by MikeS1 »

antoniovillena wrote: Wed Aug 25, 2021 10:44 pm
MikeS1 wrote: Wed Aug 25, 2021 10:36 pm

Yes. It has AD723
I was speaking about the aliexpress board in the blue case that has S-Video out on it. Not specifically your board, unless you know what the guy on Aliexpress is using?

I also think the problem you have with your IO Board and some monitors are the lack of capacitors (or 75Ohm resister) on the outputs and there being some drop in impedance that trips the sleep command to the chip. Its probably something you could fix pretty easy.
antoniovillena

MikeS1 wrote: Sat Aug 28, 2021 4:08 pm I also think the problem you have with your IO Board and some monitors are the lack of capacitors (or 75Ohm resister) on the outputs and there being some drop in impedance that trips the sleep command to the chip. Its probably something you could fix pretty easy.
I don't have any problem with my IO board
ericgus09

Unread post by ericgus09 »

antoniovillena wrote: Tue Aug 31, 2021 2:40 pm
MikeS1 wrote: Sat Aug 28, 2021 4:08 pm I also think the problem you have with your IO Board and some monitors are the lack of capacitors (or 75Ohm resister) on the outputs and there being some drop in impedance that trips the sleep command to the chip. Its probably something you could fix pretty easy.
I see "There is an issue with Commodore 1702 monitor that blinks signal, so don’t buy if you use that monitor."

is this just for PAL 50hz 1702? or Both NTSC/60 and PAL/50?

I have an NTSC/60 1702 and thats the primary interest to me if it works on this one..
dshadoff
Core Developer

Unread post by dshadoff »

The AntonioVillena adapter also blinks for me on a Commodore 1701 as well.
Shows up beautifully for just under a second, then blanks for similar period, and repeats.
I am using standard Analog I/O board and NTSC/60.

I heard from somebody on the discord that it might be related to non-isolation of outputs (i.e. no series capacitor) on the reference AD723 schematic - but I haven't yet had a chance to either open it up to see the circuit or test it with such a capacitor.
antoniovillena

ericgus09 wrote: Tue Aug 31, 2021 6:18 pm
I see "There is an issue with Commodore 1702 monitor that blinks signal, so don’t buy if you use that monitor."

I have an NTSC/60 1702 and thats the primary interest to me if it works on this one..
I have asked about IO board. The problem with Commodore 1702 is with the VGA->Composite/S-Video adapter
beamrider

Unread post by beamrider »

FoxbatStargazer wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 6:20 am Y is always luminance (black and white). S-Video combines Pb and Pr into a single C signal, component separates those two. Sync is on Y for both. So as I understand it, basically we would just need an ini setting to combine Pb/Pr into C and we'd probably be good to go with one of those converters.
Surely there must be more to it. I would have thought if it was a simple tweak like that it would have been done already?
dshadoff
Core Developer

On S-Video, the chroma is modulated to the colorburst frequency; on component, they are just levels like luma.
ericgus09

Does anyone know of an adapter that DOES work with the 1702 commodore monitors? or maybe using some-kind of intermediary device?
shertz

Unread post by shertz »

ericgus09 wrote: Fri Sep 03, 2021 9:24 pm Does anyone know of an adapter that DOES work with the 1702 commodore monitors? or maybe using some-kind of intermediary device?
This works with the 1702 but is now out of stock....

https://misterbits.fwscart.com/product_ ... 14892.aspx
shertz

Unread post by shertz »

I shot a video of the antonio board on my ntsc 1702 and here is what the pulsing looks like....

https://youtu.be/62HsLadc5FQ
dshadoff
Core Developer

shertz wrote: Sat Sep 04, 2021 7:01 am I shot a video of the antonio board on my ntsc 1702 and here is what the pulsing looks like....

I can confirm that Commodore 1701 does the same thing.
ericgus09

shertz wrote: Sat Sep 04, 2021 7:01 am

I shot a video of the antonio board on my ntsc 1702 and here is what the pulsing looks like....

Oh thats weird and unfortunate..