Scale Filters - Possible to add more?

Discussion about displays and related hardware including MiSTer filters and video settings.
NightShadowPT

Scale Filters - Possible to add more?

Unread post by NightShadowPT »

Hi,

Is it possible to add more Scale filters to the MiSTer? If so, is there a good repository you can point me to?

Also, are these Shaders (like the ones used by RetroArch)?

If they are, is it possible to re-use them, or do they need to be adapted to the MiSTer? I would love to use the CRT Royall Shader as it is probably the best CRT shader and is highly configurable.

Cheers,
NightShadowPT

Re: Scale Filters - Possible to add more?

Bumping this to check if the lack of answers is because the question is dumb, or people missed it the first time. :)

Cheers,
Cebion

Unread post by Cebion »

Did you use the custom ones added when you use the update script?
Or do you mean beside them
akeley
Top Contributor

Unread post by akeley »

Shaders mostly require a lot of juice, both from GPU and CPU, especially the likes of Royale. There are some simpler ones available on RPi but Rpi is more powerful in these kind of tasks. So I'm not sure if it's even possible here.
NightShadowPT

Cebion wrote: Sat Aug 29, 2020 3:45 pm Did you use the custom ones added when you use the update script?
Or do you mean beside them
I meant besides them... The ones available are ok, but nowhere near as faithful (or flexible) as the CRT Royale.
akeley wrote: Sat Aug 29, 2020 5:39 pm Shaders mostly require a lot of juice, both from GPU and CPU, especially the likes of Royale. There are some simpler ones available on RPi but Rpi is more powerful in these kind of tasks. So I'm not sure if it's even possible here.
Exactly my question ;)
aberu
Core Developer

Unread post by aberu »

Shaders like you are talking about, like the glsl shaders, use a lot of cpu+gpu power relative to something like the MiSTer. For shaders like this to be a possibility on the MiSTer, someone would have to design them as their own pipeline somewhere after the scanline conversion and somewhere before the hdmi output. It would be a lot of work. I'm slowly learning what I can since I'd like to do something like this, but there are probably not enough resources left on the MiSTer's chip to do it. The critical part is keeping the lag down.
birdybro~
Newsdee
Top Contributor

Unread post by Newsdee »

This may be something worth doing on an external upscaler such as OSSC, rather than MiSTer.
It's a pretty niche need and it could benefit other retro devices, so it may have a bigger audience there.
ash2fpga

Unread post by ash2fpga »

Newsdee wrote: Sat Oct 10, 2020 6:41 am This may be something worth doing on an external upscaler such as OSSC, rather than MiSTer.
It's a pretty niche need and it could benefit other retro devices, so it may have a bigger audience there.
OSSC Pro, perhaps. Depending on how close of a CRT look it could get, while still having low lag, would definitely pique my interest.
Phaedrus

Unread post by Phaedrus »

Thanks for putting this on my radar. I don't have a CRT anymore and no space to get one. Scanlines are great on the mister but there's still something missing. Hoping that the mister or OSSC pro can bring something like CRT royale. That would seem to be the final step in preservation, after all the games artworks were designed with the final medium in mind. And with CRTs eventually going extinct, the display medium needs to be emulated and preserved as well.