X68000 Beta - Updates and Releases

Captain FPGA

Re: X68000 Beta - Updates and Releases

Unread post by Captain FPGA »

https://youtu.be/0fggjHgRNUY

Apparently sound does work on Final Fight.

This is a video of someone running Final Fight on the Mister X68000 core. What's he doing to get both music and sound effects? Is he using the mt32-pi? If Final Fight gives sound fx I'll bet the farm both Street Fighter games do too. I want to know how?

Also to address a correction I made from earlier the version of SSF2 I have isn't 5 disks it's 7. (Yikes!) I still want to know how to boot something like this, something tells me this isn't the only multi-floppy image with more than 2 disks that I'll have to deal with. If I can resolve this matter with Street Fighter it may help in figuring out other games as well.
Dreams don't die!
softtest9

Unread post by softtest9 »

You can explore the contents of those floppies either within Human68k or one of those Windows programs that can open X68000 floppies. If there's a file called INSTALL.X or similar, that's probably what you need to run. You may need to set up a harddrive image with Human68k first.
Chris23235
Top Contributor

Unread post by Chris23235 »

Captain FPGA wrote: Fri Nov 19, 2021 12:41 am https://youtu.be/0fggjHgRNUY

This is a video of someone running Final Fight on the Mister X68000 core. What's he doing to get both music and sound effects? Is he using the mt32-pi? If Final Fight gives sound fx I'll bet the farm both Street Fighter games do too. I want to know how?
I am pretty sure he does, as many of his videos deal with the MiSTer and an PI-MT32.

If you want to know which X68000 games had MIDI support look here (this site has other useful info on many games as well):

https://bitchinbits.foolproofdesigns.co ... -settings/
Jlz

Unread post by Jlz »

I'm thinking about picking up one of these pi-m32 units specifically for this core, I'm just a bit worried about power usage on my main MiSTer PSU
Moondandy
Top Contributor

Unread post by Moondandy »

Are you using the stock PSU that came with your DE-10? You may have issues, it is recommended to get a better one with higher ampage. If you are putting together a MT-32 pi then that winds up being one of the cheaper parts however (compared with Pi, Pi case, assembled MT-32 board).
Jlz

Unread post by Jlz »

I'm not sure, since I got a prebuilt system from eBay. I've messaged the seller to see what he says
eewoke

Unread post by eewoke »

Murderface1982 wrote: Mon Nov 15, 2021 7:53 am I'm getting nothing but jumbled static on my screen... X68k.rom is in the computer folder on the SD card games on my hard drive...
Me too. Unfortunately nobody has responded. Very strange.
-= MiSTer FPGA enthusiast =-
jca
Top Contributor

Unread post by jca »

eewoke wrote: Fri Nov 19, 2021 8:51 pm
Murderface1982 wrote: Mon Nov 15, 2021 7:53 am I'm getting nothing but jumbled static on my screen... X68k.rom is in the computer folder on the SD card games on my hard drive...
See viewtopic.php?p=37327#p37327
Moondandy
Top Contributor

I thought it was boot.rom it needed to be renamed to for the new core?

Whatever it should be for the new core, it would be good if it could just be added to the release folder now so anyone trying the new core would have a correctly named BIOS on their MiSTer. The BIOS is open source so there are no copyright issues having it in the release folder.
mattsoft

Unread post by mattsoft »

I posted this question on the discord server and was told that the core currently only runs properly at 800x600 resolution because the core has not had the standard scalar framework linked in yet. Haven't tried that yet, but you might want to see if that fixes the issue.
pgimeno
Top Contributor

Unread post by pgimeno »

Moondandy wrote: Fri Nov 19, 2021 9:10 pmThe BIOS is open source so there are no copyright issues having it in the release folder.
Do you have a reference for that?
ExCyber

Unread post by ExCyber »

I've never heard of it being open-source, but I believe Sharp authorized noncommercial distribution of the X68000 ROMs and associated system software (e.g. Human68K and SX-Window) for use with emulators due to some user group activism. There's a document that appears to be a license text, although machine translation mangles it pretty badly, so it would probably require a native-level Japanese reader (perhaps even a Japanese lawyer) to explain the actual terms. Part of it does seem to say that the license document must be included with distributions of the software, though.

http://retropc.net/x68000/software/sharp/

Code: Select all

当シャープ・プロダクツ・ユーザーズ・フォーラムのプログラムライブラリに
掲載したソフトウェア製品の使用許諾及びソフトウェア製品に関してのご質問、
お問い合わせ(技術的内容も含め)は当シャープ・プロダクツ・ユーザーズ・
フォーラム(http://www.nifty.ne.jp/forum/fsharp/)にお願い致します。

なお、下記の文章中では、プログラムライブラリに掲載したソフトウェア製品を
「本ソフトウェア製品」と表記しています。

@nifty シャープ・プロダクツ・ユーザーズ・フォーラム

■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■

記

当シャープ・プロダクツ・ユーザーズ・フォーラム(以下、フォーラムと呼びま
す)にて公開された本ソフトウェア製品の使用許諾はシャープ株式会社様、株式会
社ハドソン様、株式会社計測技研様、株式会社アクセス様、株式会社アイエヌシー
様のご好意により実現したものです。(以下、権利各社と呼びます)

ご使用に当たっては下記の許諾条件を遵守して頂きたくお願い致します。

1  使用権の許諾
  1)使用者は、本ソフトウェア製品及びそれによる全ての成果物をシャープXシ
      リーズ上及びそのエミュレータ上でのみ使用できます。
  2)使用権の許諾は、本ソフトウェア製品に関する著作権その他財産権の使用者
      への移転を認めるものではありません。
  3)使用者は、本ソフトウェア製品の全部もしくは一部を複製、解析または改変
      することは自由ですが、それによる成果物は無償配布のみとし,営利を目的
      とするいかなる行為も禁止します。
      本ソフトウェア製品の全部もしくは一部を改変した成果物については、配布
      または公開時、オブジェクトコード(改変した成果物)とともにソースコード
      も同時に配布または公開することを条件とします。
  4)前項に拘らず、開発支援ソフトであるアセンブラ、リンカ、デバッガ、コン
      パイラ等の別表1に定める本ソフトウェア製品については、営利を目的とし
      ない配布または複製をすることは自由です。ただし、解析または改変は認め
      られません。
  5)本ソフトウェア製品を改変したものが公序良俗に反する内容である場合等、
      権利各社・フォーラムが正当と判断する場合には配布、公開の停止を求める
      ことがあります。
      また、本ソフトウェア製品又は本ソフトウェア製品を改変したものを再頒布
      する場合には、本文書の添付を必ず行って下さい。
  6)財産権、著作権
      本ソフトウェア製品およびそれらを複製したものの著作権その他の財産権は、
      理由の如何に係わらず権利各社に帰属します。
      使用者は、本ソフトウェア製品およびそれを複製,改変したものから
      Copyright等の注釈を取り除くことはできませんが改変者の氏名を追加する
      ことは自由です。

2  責任
  1)本ソフトウェア製品は、特定の目的下における使用可能性、その他の一切の
      保証無しに使用者に提供されます。権利各社・フォーラムは、本ソフトウェ
      ア製品の品質と機能についての一切の責任を負わないものとします。
  2)権利各社・フォーラムは、使用者が本ソフトウェア製品を使用することによ
      って発生した直接的、間接的もしくは、波及効果による損害、データ・プロ
      グラムその他無体財産に対する損害、使用利益および得べかりし利益の喪失
      等に対して一切責任を負わないものとします。
  3)その他、許諾条件に定めていない事項は、著作権法および関連法規に従うもの
      とします。

3  問い合わせ
      権利各社は本ソフトウェア製品に関するご質問、お問い合わせ(技術的内容
    も含め)等に対する対応はできません。
    掲載したソフトウェア製品の使用許諾及びソフトウェア製品に関してのご質問、
    お問い合わせ(技術的内容も含め)は当シャープ・プロダクツ・ユーザーズ・
    フォーラム(http://www.nifty.ne.jp/forum/fsharp/)にお願い致します。

以上の事をご確認頂いた上で、お楽しみいただきますことを権利各社一同及びフ
  ォーラムは皆様とともに喜びと致したいと願っております。ご愛用を深く感謝致
  します。

以上

別表1
    以下の開発支援ソフトであるアセンブラ、リンカ、デバッガ、コンパイラ等に
  ついては、営利を目的としない配布または複製をすることは自由です。ただし、
  解析または改変は認められません。
      1、AS.X
      2、LK.X
      3、DB.X
      4、CC.X
      5、CCP.X
      6、CC0.X
      7、CC1.X
      8、CC2.X
      9、LIB.X
    10、MAKE.X
    11、AR.X
    12、CV.X
    13、SCD.X
    14、X68000/X68030シリーズパソコン本体内蔵ROMの
          $FE0000番地から$FFFFFF番地までのプログラム部分。

Moondandy
Top Contributor

pgimeno wrote: Fri Nov 19, 2021 11:30 pm
Moondandy wrote: Fri Nov 19, 2021 9:10 pmThe BIOS is open source so there are no copyright issues having it in the release folder.
Do you have a reference for that?
Apologies, I meant to write public domain not open source, Rysha mentioned this on the discord (why it is in the release folder on GitHub).
ExCyber

Unread post by ExCyber »

I've seen a couple claims floating around on the web that it's public domain, but I doubt that those are accurate. It's fairly common for people to misuse the term "public domain" for things that are still under copyright but have a license allowing redistribution by the general public.
eewoke

Unread post by eewoke »

mattsoft wrote: Fri Nov 19, 2021 10:53 pm
I posted this question on the discord server and was told that the core currently only runs properly at 800x600 resolution because the core has not had the standard scalar framework linked in yet. Haven't tried that yet, but you might want to see if that fixes the issue.
Used the latest beta from discord. All fine now.
-= MiSTer FPGA enthusiast =-
pgimeno
Top Contributor

Unread post by pgimeno »

ExCyber wrote: Sat Nov 20, 2021 1:48 am I've seen a couple claims floating around on the web that it's public domain, but I doubt that those are accurate. It's fairly common for people to misuse the term "public domain" for things that are still under copyright but have a license allowing redistribution by the general public.
Hmm that ringed a bell in my head. It may well have to do with the Japanese law. I've seen anime shows being posted in certain fan websites with no fear for copyright violation claims, and then withdrawn when a (Japanese) company acquired exclusivity rights over the work, which according to the website, resulted in these works no longer being public domain.

Someone more familiar with Japanese law could shed more light on this.
Captain FPGA

softtest9 wrote: Fri Nov 19, 2021 1:51 am You can explore the contents of those floppies either within Human68k or one of those Windows programs that can open X68000 floppies. If there's a file called INSTALL.X or similar, that's probably what you need to run. You may need to set up a harddrive image with Human68k first.
Sorry for the late reply.

Appreciate the tip! It sounds like quite a bit of leg work for a console guy like me. I only get into the PC stuff casually and that includes the Mister. :oops: I was hoping there'd be an easier fix for something like this, changing a setting or something within the core itself. Going by your response that doesn't appear to be the case. :(
Chris23235 wrote: Fri Nov 19, 2021 8:44 am
Captain FPGA wrote: Fri Nov 19, 2021 12:41 am https://youtu.be/0fggjHgRNUY

I am pretty sure he does, as many of his videos deal with the MiSTer and an PI-MT32.

If you want to know which X68000 games had MIDI support look here (this site has other useful info on many games as well):

https://bitchinbits.foolproofdesigns.co ... -settings/
Also helpful, apparently only Super Street Fighter supports a special sound device (GM) but not Champion Edition, bummer there.

What's you guys' opinion on a dual SDRAM solution for the X68000 Sharp Core? In theory could the extra 256 MB help with the sound? I was thinking about getting something like this if the Playstation/Saturn core needed it. Then I thought about other possibilities that can be used with this thing that includes PC cores like the AO486 and the Sharp.
Dreams don't die!
Chris23235
Top Contributor

Unread post by Chris23235 »

Captain FPGA wrote: Sun Nov 21, 2021 11:49 pm What's you guys' opinion on a dual SDRAM solution for the X68000 Sharp Core? In theory could the extra 256 MB help with the sound? I was thinking about getting something like this if the Playstation/Saturn core needed it. Then I thought about other possibilities that can be used with this thing that includes PC cores like the AO486 and the Sharp.
I don't see where 256 MB could help you with on the X68000. The system was limited to 4 MB by default (12 MB were possible with a memory expansion board). The sound related issues in the core are due to its beta status only.

In general 256 MB SDRAM won't be of much use on the systems the MiSTer simulates at all. The typical 486 PC had a maximum of 32 MB RAM back in the day. There is no software needing 256 MB that will perform well on AO486.

FPGA zum Spass is working on getting the PSX core running on a single 32 MB SDRAM stick, the dual stick setup is only a temporary workaround during the development and not intended as the final requirement.

As far as I see it, you shouldn't invest in a second 128 MB stick, it will not getting used in any cores outside beta status.
Captain FPGA

Chris23235 wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 6:37 am
Captain FPGA wrote: Sun Nov 21, 2021 11:49 pm What's you guys' opinion on a dual SDRAM solution for the X68000 Sharp Core? In theory could the extra 256 MB help with the sound? I was thinking about getting something like this if the Playstation/Saturn core needed it. Then I thought about other possibilities that can be used with this thing that includes PC cores like the AO486 and the Sharp.
I don't see where 256 MB could help you with on the X68000. The system was limited to 4 MB by default (12 MB were possible with a memory expansion board). The sound related issues in the core are due to its beta status only.

In general 256 MB SDRAM won't be of much use on the systems the MiSTer simulates at all. The typical 486 PC had a maximum of 32 MB RAM back in the day. There is no software needing 256 MB that will perform well on AO486.

FPGA zum Spass is working on getting the PSX core running on a single 32 MB SDRAM stick, the dual stick setup is only a temporary workaround during the development and not intended as the final requirement.

As far as I see it, you shouldn't invest in a second 128 MB stick, it will not getting used in any cores outside beta status.
Thx, I'll hold off on purchasing the additional RAM for now.
Dreams don't die!
Murderface1982

Unread post by Murderface1982 »

Okay, I kind of gave up on this... but I'm back it.

I have my mister connected to an external hard drive, I have no media/fat directories. I've tried moving the X86000.rom to the computer folder and the x86000 folder on my SD card, and I've also tried it in the games folder on my hard drive with my actual roms, I'm getting a black screen currently.

A.) Does the X86000 rom need to be renamed to boot.rom?

B.) If I'm using an external hard drive that contains my disk images where does that the rom file need to go?

C.) Am I missing anything? I imagine update all updated the x86000 to the correct version, am I wrong here?
jca
Top Contributor

Unread post by jca »

You say you have no media/fat directories. What does that mean and how is your storage organized?
The rom has to be named X68000.rom but must be in games/X68000.
Your disk images have to be in games/X68000.
On my MISTer most directories are in /media/usb0 and I created symlinks in /media/fat.
Ex: /media/fat/games -> /media/usb0/games
/media/fat/_Computer -> /media/usb0/_Computer
and so on.

Edit: typing too fast lead me to make a big mistake. The X68000.rom must be in /media/fat/bootrom.
Murderface1982

jca wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 6:23 pm You say you have no media/fat directories. What does that mean and how is your storage organized?
The rom has to be named X68000.rom but must be in games/X68000.
Your disk images have to be in games/X68000.
On my MISTer most directories are in /media/usb0 and I created symlinks in /media/fat.
Ex: /media/fat/games -> /media/usb0/games
/media/fat/_Computer -> /media/usb0/_Computer
and so on.
Okay, i made some progress... I am getting a proper core menu now. I had the wrong RBF file. The issue im having at this point is that when I look for D88 images it says directory doesn't exist, every other core recognizes their respective folders. Any ideas here? My D88 files are on an external hard drive, root of my hard drive looks like this... CONFIG, GAMES, LOST.DIR , and then my D88 files are... GAMES> X86000
jca
Top Contributor

Unread post by jca »

I suppose GAMES> X86000 is a typo.
Murderface1982

jca wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 6:53 pm I suppose GAMES> X86000 is a typo.

It is! My fault. I moved the room file to the computer core folder and now it's working... But I'm still not getting anything but "missing directory" when I search for disk images...

Is it possible that I need these files on the SD card?
jca
Top Contributor

Unread post by jca »

I suppose you also have a games directory on the SD card. Is it empty or do you have non empty subdirectories for other cores?
jca
Top Contributor

Unread post by jca »

Another question: what file system did you use on your USB drive?
jca
Top Contributor

Unread post by jca »

I also made a mistake: X68000 must be in /media/fat/bootrom.
Murderface1982

sub directories for other cores on the SD card. I figured the issue lies in the hard drive or file structure... I moved files to the SD card and it seems to be working albeit intermittently, but I think that has to do more with the fact that I'm pretty new at running this core.

Awesome core when it works right.

With multi disk games, are do you load both the disk images at the same time? Ioaded dracula in both disk drives and that seemed to be the only think that got it working...
softtest9

Unread post by softtest9 »

Yes, if the game comes with 2 floppies, you pretty much always run it by putting floppy 1 in drive 1 and floppy 2 in drive 2. If the game comes with 3 or more floppies, it's harder to tell. It could be that it has two floppies for playing and a third floppy for saving progress. Or it might not run at all unless you install it to the harddrive. It depends on the game.
jca
Top Contributor

Unread post by jca »

@ Murderface1982
You did not say what FS you used on the USB drive. If it is NTFS note that it is case sensitive and X68000 must be with a capital X.