X68000 Beta - Updates and Releases

Murderface1982

Re: X68000 Beta - Updates and Releases

Unread post by Murderface1982 »

I'm getting nothing but jumbled static on my screen... X68k.rom is in the computer folder on the SD card games on my hard drive...
limi
Top Contributor

Unread post by limi »

Chris23235 wrote: Sun Nov 14, 2021 9:07 pm
limi wrote: Sun Nov 14, 2021 8:56 pm I haven’t tested it yet, but I had the same issue, and it looks like Afterburner 2 uses mouse as the input. Try that?
This works! Many thanks, I didn't expect the game to have only mouse controls.
Upside: You can now play Afterburner with an Xbox/PlayStation analog stick 😄
mapf

Unread post by mapf »

Chris23235 wrote: Sun Nov 14, 2021 10:38 pm That's interesting, I tried it and these 2 games didn't work for me either. I tried Cyberblock and this worked so I assumed they all work. I wonder if it is because Cyberblock targets an SC-55 module specifically, while Etoile Princess and Dai Maikai Mura don't mention a designated Midi hardware.
On discord one of the devs mentioned midi board interrupts not being implemented correctly. I guess there are several ways to send midi data, and depending on the game the method works or not (yet).
Murderface1982

Alright now instead of static and a jumbled screen I have 4 Bars towards the right side of the screen... any ideas?
Captain FPGA

Unread post by Captain FPGA »

Can anyone confirm if the sound on the Capcom games are working? The only thing I can get working are music and picture. For instance whenever Guile does a Sonic Boom or Sagat punches someone I don't hear any of that however the background music plays. Final Fight has the same problem, Strider plays fine AFAIK.

Also, is there a 6 button layout I can apply to my SNES Blisster controller with the Street Fighter games on here or is it keyboard only? Not a deal-breaker I have the CPS2 core, would just be cool to get it working on here as well so I can compare and enjoy version differences.
Dreams don't die!
Murderface1982

Captain FPGA wrote: Mon Nov 15, 2021 7:57 pm Can anyone confirm if the sound on the Capcom games are working? The only thing I can get working are music and picture. For instance whenever Guile does a Sonic Boom or Sagat punches someone I don't hear any of that however the background music plays.

Also, is there a 6 button layout I can apply to my SNES Blisster controller with the Street Fighter games on here or is it keyboard only? Not a deal-breaker I have the CPS2 core, would just be cool to get it working on here as well so I can compare and enjoy version differences.
I think this was an original hardware issue from what i've seen. Something about there not being enough channels to process all of the sounds at the same time. If you look up people playing street fighter on original hardware with the X68k it's the same deal.
Captain FPGA

Murderface1982 wrote: Mon Nov 15, 2021 7:59 pm
Captain FPGA wrote: Mon Nov 15, 2021 7:57 pm Can anyone confirm if the sound on the Capcom games are working? The only thing I can get working are music and picture. For instance whenever Guile does a Sonic Boom or Sagat punches someone I don't hear any of that however the background music plays.

I think this was an original hardware issue from what i've seen. Something about there not being enough channels to process all of the sounds at the same time. If you look up people playing street fighter on original hardware with the X68k it's the same deal.
*jaw drops*

I never knew that! I don't suppose there's a way for the Mister to improve upon that huh? Especially considering it's FPGA it will replicate flaws in the original.
Dreams don't die!
Chris23235
Top Contributor

Unread post by Chris23235 »

Captain FPGA wrote: Mon Nov 15, 2021 7:57 pm Can anyone confirm if the sound on the Capcom games are working? The only thing I can get working are music and picture. For instance whenever Guile does a Sonic Boom or Sagat punches someone I don't hear any of that however the background music plays. Final Fight has the same problem, Strider plays fine AFAIK.

I think currentlythe core only supports 2 buttons, and a third button calles Run, as this is what you can define in the core menu. No idea if the X68000 supported pads with more buttons.
zakk4223

Unread post by zakk4223 »

It kinda did.

https://gamesx.com/wiki/doku.php?id=controls:x686button

Basically a handful of games had support for more buttons but not the system in general. Those worked by strobing the select pin and reading the data "twice".

And then there's this thing:

https://gamesx.com/wiki/doku.php?id=x68000:cyber_stick

I believe analog mode requires a driver.
Captain FPGA

Chris23235 wrote: Mon Nov 15, 2021 9:08 pm
Captain FPGA wrote: Mon Nov 15, 2021 7:57 pm Can anyone confirm if the sound on the Capcom games are working? The only thing I can get working are music and picture. For instance whenever Guile does a Sonic Boom or Sagat punches someone I don't hear any of that however the background music plays. Final Fight has the same problem, Strider plays fine AFAIK.

I think currentlythe core only supports 2 buttons, and a third button calles Run, as this is what you can define in the core menu. No idea if the X68000 supported pads with more buttons.
So I watched a couple of videos of Super Street Fighter 2 with both music and sound for the X68000 not sure if those were pure emulators or real hardware.

Regardless, if the core doesn't currently support it I'm SOL (as far as the Mister goes) appreciate the info though. Sucks about the sound, was really looking forward to playing the X68000 version of Final Fight. The color and graphics were slightly different than Arcade/SNES/CD.

I'll look into the original Xbox emulator for the Sharp.
Dreams don't die!
Chris23235
Top Contributor

Captain FPGA wrote: Tue Nov 16, 2021 1:21 am So I watched a couple of videos of Super Street Fighter 2 with both music and sound for the X68000 not sure if those were pure emulators or real hardware.

Regardless, if the core doesn't currently support it I'm SOL (as far as the Mister goes) appreciate the info though. Sucks about the sound, was really looking forward to playing the X68000 version of Final Fight. The color and graphics were slightly different than Arcade/SNES/CD.

I looked it up, the X68000 had 2 joystick parts that were connected with a DB9 adapter and where comaptible with Atari's joystick standard. These controllers supported 2 buttons. When SF II came out Capcom bundled it with an adapter that allowed to use a 6 Button controller with the system.
Captain FPGA

Chris23235 wrote: Tue Nov 16, 2021 6:36 am
Captain FPGA wrote: Tue Nov 16, 2021 1:21 am So I watched a couple of videos of Super Street Fighter 2 with both music and sound for the X68000 not sure if those were pure emulators or real hardware.

I looked it up, the X68000 had 2 joystick parts that were connected with a DB9 adapter and where comaptible with Atari's joystick standard. These controllers supported 2 buttons. When SF II came out Capcom bundled it with an adapter that allowed to use a 6 Button controller with the system.
Wonder how feasible it would be to implement that exact layout on the Nano?
Dreams don't die!
hideous

Unread post by hideous »

Murderface1982 wrote: Mon Nov 15, 2021 7:59 pm

No, its not correct. Please see: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LmvBAc8aBKY&start=334 you hear the specials being announced at least.
teleozoic

Unread post by teleozoic »

teleozoic wrote: Sun Nov 14, 2021 5:37 pm
catenaccio wrote: Fri Nov 12, 2021 4:01 pm
zoopster wrote: Thu Nov 11, 2021 8:42 pm It won't work on a 15khz CRT yet. Maybe in the future.
But if I try with this video mode:

video_mode=320,8,32,24,240,4,3,16,6048

I can get decent graphics in a CRT. Then is not possible to improve it?

IMG_20211112_165840.jpg

IMG_20211112_170518.jpg

I was able to get correct sizing on a 15 KHz TV with these .ini settings :
[X68000]
vga_scaler=1
vsync_adjust=1
vscale_mode=0
vscale_border=0
video_mode=1024,116,72,160,256,1,1,3,20400

These work on my Toshiba 14AF46 without anything being unevenly scaled.

Many games are 256p or 240p and have stuff in the overscan area, but I'm able to use the service menu to change the V-size to see virtually all of it.

You may have to mess with H or V front porch/back porch in the modeline to center it well for your TV. The H-size/V-size and phase in the service menu gets most of the way.
I forgot to mention, in case it wasn't obvious, with this modeline you'll need to choose 'Audio & Video' → 'Aspect Ratio: Full Screen' from the MiSTer menu in the core. This way the image is stretched to the full width of the output resolution.

To elaborate more on how the modeline was created:

Since horizontal resolution is practically meaningless for analog video, I doubled it to have space to adjust the Hfp/Hbp to center and squish it on my tv to fit without overscanning. (1024,116,72,160 = 1372 fields total). This was pretty much done with trial and error and the custom modeline calculator in the Windows app 'Custom Resolution Utility'. This could probably be increased/tweaked even more but this looks great to me and keeps the pixel clock relatively low.

I (ab)use the Vfp/Vs/Vbp similarly to make it easier to resize and center the vertical content area without overscanning as much as possible, but the vertical resolution can't be increased any further with 15 Khz.

My TV refuses to sync if I go above a total line count of 264, and increasing the vertical back porch too much causes curling at the top of the image. So the 256,1,1,3 ( = 261) is the best this can do. This may mean that 3 or 4 pixels are blanked at the edges. I'm not entirely sure but it'd only be noticeable on games that use the entire 256p resolution and even still not much is lost.

Anyway, aside from the possible missing lines at the top and bottom, I'm really happy with these results and the sizing is pixel-perfect, no judder or unevenly sized pixels in either axis.
cathrynmataga

Unread post by cathrynmataga »

hideous wrote: Tue Nov 16, 2021 10:42 am
Murderface1982 wrote: Mon Nov 15, 2021 7:59 pm I think this was an original hardware issue from what i've seen. Something about there not being enough channels to process all of the sounds at the same time. If you look up people playing street fighter on original hardware with the X68k it's the same deal.
No, its not correct. Please see: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LmvBAc8aBKY&start=334 you hear the specials being announced at least.
Someone with the real hardware is going to have to try this out. Could be an issue with the version we're using.
Murderface1982

Honestly, I can't hear anything on that channel... I did see someone on original hardware that had the exact same issue though. Maybe it was an issue with sound configuration or something though, I'm not really familiar with the OH hardware.
mjc4513

Unread post by mjc4513 »

In the latest update (20121112) I have been able to boot the OS9 harddrive image files found at this link https://nfggames.com/X68000/index.php/O ... /?upload=1 the text bases works, but the window version does not work with the keyboard and mouse. Not sure why not, but this is great. Can someone look into the mouse and keyboard in the windows version. Would be great to get this working. Thanks!
Captain FPGA

On floppy images I keep running into DIM files. I can't get the core to read those ideally I'd like to use files with the D88 extension but I can't seem to find them.

That said what's the process for converting Ghostwares set?
Dreams don't die!
Chris23235
Top Contributor

Captain FPGA wrote: Wed Nov 17, 2021 6:18 am On floppy images I keep running into DIM files. I can't get the core to read those ideally I'd like to use files with the D88 extension but I can't seem to find them.

You can convert DIM files to D88 with the Virtual Floppy Image Converter.

https://www.vector.co.jp/soft/win95/util/se151106.html
Captain FPGA

Chris23235 wrote: Wed Nov 17, 2021 6:35 am
Captain FPGA wrote: Wed Nov 17, 2021 6:18 am On floppy images I keep running into DIM files. I can't get the core to read those ideally I'd like to use files with the D88 extension but I can't seem to find them.

You can convert DIM files to D88 with the Virtual Floppy Image Converter.

https://www.vector.co.jp/soft/win95/util/se151106.html
Thank you. Unfortunately ran a couple of D88 files but it failed. I must be doing something wrong.

Do I need the interface at 3:44 in the video to enable them to boot? I thought I could use the Mister OSD.

https://youtu.be/SdkD5uI3XkA
Dreams don't die!
Chris23235
Top Contributor

What the video shows at 3:44 is a hard disk image with several games on it. If you use D88 images be patient, loading from flopp images is very slow (don't know how it was on a real X68000). Try Alien Syndrome, this game works and it loads relatively fast.
Captain FPGA

Chris23235 wrote: Wed Nov 17, 2021 8:49 am What the video shows at 3:44 is a hard disk image with several games on it. If you use D88 images be patient, loading from flopp images is very slow (don't know how it was on a real X68000). Try Alien Syndrome, this game works and it loads relatively fast.
Okay, I was super confused at first. I did use 2 D88 images one was Sailor Moon. I forgot I had to wait for it to load.

When it failed to load it had me thinking I needed an interface like what that VHD video shows. I'm glad to learn that isn't the case.

Booted the floppy version of Final Fight and it worked! :D Thanks to guidance from this forum. Totally not worth playing though, it's missing the sound just like the hard disk version but it's nice to see it start. I'll go ahead and download and convert the actual X68000 recommended shit the general shmup and beat-em-up community tends to make a fuss about. It's better than trying to get these no sound having CPS ports to work with... well you know sound.

Edit: About multiple disc's, so SF2 was about 4 CDs SSF2 is like 5?! I read on the forum to load FDDO: Disk 1, and FDD1: Disk 2, then hit reset. Wait for drivers to load and a prompt which tells you what disc to load next.

I loaded disc's 1 and 2, reset then loaded 2 again like the prompt asked (FDD1). I hit reset and waited it asked me to hit disc 1 again so I hit FDD0 and reset.

All that got me was a white sign with someone holding a floppy. Me thinks I screwed up some where. What must I do?
Dreams don't die!
pgimeno
Top Contributor

Unread post by pgimeno »

I have a DIM to D88 converter in the page linked from my signature that works in MiSTer's Linux. It may not be too straightforward to run for those not used to a command line interface, though.
Captain FPGA

pgimeno wrote: Wed Nov 17, 2021 9:45 pm I have a DIM to D88 converter in the page linked from my signature that works in MiSTer's Linux. It may not be too straightforward to run for those not used to a command line interface, though.
Oh I got the D88 stuff converted and working. Ironically after I learned how to do it, I discovered Pez 82 already had a pre-configured set that he generously shared with the public.

Wound up only converting Super Street Fighter and Final Fight from DIM to D88 myself. Right now I'm more concerned about getting multi-floppy titles such as both Street Fighter games to work. I load FDD0 for Disk 1 and FDD1 for Disk 2. Afterwards I try waiting for the prompt then I do Disk 3 from FDD0 etc. The problem is I keep messing up some where because the game never boots. I waited patiently upon mounting each CD but these multi-floppies aren't booting for me.
Dreams don't die!
cathrynmataga

Unread post by cathrynmataga »

I see the same thing with Ishin no Arashi. I can run two floppy games by putting one disk in each drive, but this one has 3 disks, and I can never get Disk C to be accepted in Drive 1. I tried ejecting FDD0, but doesn't seem to fix it.
Captain FPGA

https://youtu.be/0fggjHgRNUY

Apparently sound does work on Final Fight.

This is a video of someone running Final Fight on the Mister X68000 core. What's he doing to get both music and sound effects? Is he using the mt32-pi? If Final Fight gives sound fx I'll bet the farm both Street Fighter games do too. I want to know how?

Also to address a correction I made from earlier the version of SSF2 I have isn't 5 disks it's 7. (Yikes!) I still want to know how to boot something like this, something tells me this isn't the only multi-floppy image with more than 2 disks that I'll have to deal with. If I can resolve this matter with Street Fighter it may help in figuring out other games as well.
Dreams don't die!
softtest9

Unread post by softtest9 »

You can explore the contents of those floppies either within Human68k or one of those Windows programs that can open X68000 floppies. If there's a file called INSTALL.X or similar, that's probably what you need to run. You may need to set up a harddrive image with Human68k first.
Chris23235
Top Contributor

Captain FPGA wrote: Fri Nov 19, 2021 12:41 am https://youtu.be/0fggjHgRNUY

Apparently sound does work on Final Fight.

This is a video of someone running Final Fight on the Mister X68000 core. What's he doing to get both music and sound effects? Is he using the mt32-pi? If Final Fight gives sound fx I'll bet the farm both Street Fighter games do too. I want to know how?
I am pretty sure he does, as many of his videos deal with the MiSTer and an PI-MT32.

If you want to know which X68000 games had MIDI support look here (this site has other useful info on many games as well):

https://bitchinbits.foolproofdesigns.co ... -settings/
Jlz

Unread post by Jlz »

I'm thinking about picking up one of these pi-m32 units specifically for this core, I'm just a bit worried about power usage on my main MiSTer PSU
Moondandy
Top Contributor

Unread post by Moondandy »

Are you using the stock PSU that came with your DE-10? You may have issues, it is recommended to get a better one with higher ampage. If you are putting together a MT-32 pi then that winds up being one of the cheaper parts however (compared with Pi, Pi case, assembled MT-32 board).