PSX Compatibility List

gtv3000

Re: PSX Compatibility List

Unread post by gtv3000 »

at the moment i can't get 2 games that i really like for psx to run and it happens on all nightly versions of the core (although CD command support compatibility has increased dramatically):

Castleviania Chronicles USA - freezes at the game selection screen after 2 seconds

R-Types USA ( R-Type I/II ) - black screen after the initial introduction video

have you tried them? it will seem strange but I liked the ps1 for 2d arcade ports (many arcade perfect or almost) and few 3D titles (I preferred the PC with 3DFX at the time)

Happy 2022 everyone! :)
FatSlob71

Unread post by FatSlob71 »

Panzer Front is a Complete Mess of Polygons in game.
Caldor
Top Contributor

Unread post by Caldor »

With the new sound release, Alundra started working. It used to go to a black screen when you entered a door, but now it all works :)

Some games seem to not boot correctly and have stopped working, but it is very few I think. I made a long test yesterday.

I think we might see a release that supports sound and works with 1 SD RAM at the end of this month or early February. Peip certainly is making a lot of progress at least.
DavesGameRoom

Unread post by DavesGameRoom »

Ridge Racer Revolution very slow at the start and random slowdown in places through out which aren't present on real hardware. Early days for this core though so will improve with time I am sure.
held

Unread post by held »

Castlevania Chronicles is now playable with the 2022-01-22 core

EDIT: Updated the compatibility list accordingly
kalach.x

Unread post by kalach.x »

Syphon Filter didn't work for me crashing after menu screen but with at least with today's release it works beautifully. All sounds seem to be working including music.
Eros

Unread post by Eros »

Gran Torismo also works... more... will update the list accordingly
Captain FPGA

Unread post by Captain FPGA »

Fatal Fury - Wild Ambition - Playable but no music. Sound effects, fightshouts, announcer quotes are definitely there. Sayings like Power Wave!

Street Fighter EX Plus Alpha - Same as Fatal Fury.

Bloody Roar 2 - See Fatal Fury.

Spider-Man 2 Enter Electro - Stage music works at least. Most voice-overs like for the X-Men characters are noticeably missing.
Dreams don't die!
relax

Unread post by relax »

@caldor ty for making that spreadsheet, ive added a few new entries, i only just jumped into the PSX core as i was waiting for it to mature and very impressed with how its coming along. i seen you listed Alundra in an earlier comment on here, this is one of the entries i put in. im in the US and dont recall a black screen after entering a door? i had many many hours on that game, never quite finished it tho close! anyhow, seems to play ok from thru the start, the ship level, until we are in inoia where we get the very first save point. short test but works so far.
relax

Unread post by relax »

Caldor wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 1:58 pm With the new sound release, Alundra started working. It used to go to a black screen when you entered a door, but now it all works :)

Some games seem to not boot correctly and have stopped working, but it is very few I think. I made a long test yesterday.

I think we might see a release that supports sound and works with 1 SD RAM at the end of this month or early February. Peip certainly is making a lot of progress at least.
ah just seen this lmao
caad

Unread post by caad »

Donpachi works

Dodonpachi hangs on the LOADING screen after selecting ship/weapons.
Caldor
Top Contributor

Unread post by Caldor »

relax wrote: Tue Feb 01, 2022 11:12 pm
Caldor wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 1:58 pm With the new sound release, Alundra started working. It used to go to a black screen when you entered a door, but now it all works :)

ah just seen this lmao
Ahh yes :)

Peip has been extremely active the last few days, with one day having 4 updates, and the last 5 days I think there has been 2 updates per day.

He plans to soon begin working on CD-DA support, which is regular CD audio. Which should in theory make it possible to use the PSX core to play music CDs. With that the core should be fully featured and only be missing bug fixes.

Yesterday he even added mouse support. I only tested it in one game so far, I have begun working on organizing my PSX games.
thorr
Top Contributor

Unread post by thorr »

Very exciting. I still have not even tried this core because I am waiting for NTSC CRT timings to be corrected. It seems that might be last on the list, so I might just wait for the official release. I am totally fine with waiting. It doesn't seem like it will be a long wait. It's simply amazing how fast this core came to be.
Reg

Unread post by Reg »

Crazy Climber 2000 ( Japan ) seems 100% perfect - including the intro video - also shown in this clip.
Crazy Climber 2000.png
Crazy Climber 2000.png (1.08 MiB) Viewed 9127 times
https://youtu.be/aqfJSFyaqNI

This one can be added to the list I believe.
held

Unread post by held »

Reg wrote: Sun Feb 06, 2022 10:19 am This one can be added to the list I believe.
Its a public "you can do it yourself" list, so feel free to add it.
I really liked the video, but that guy should very much ditch those sunglasses :lol:
Caldor
Top Contributor

Unread post by Caldor »

thorr wrote: Fri Feb 04, 2022 11:08 pm Very exciting. I still have not even tried this core because I am waiting for NTSC CRT timings to be corrected. It seems that might be last on the list, so I might just wait for the official release. I am totally fine with waiting. It doesn't seem like it will be a long wait. It's simply amazing how fast this core came to be.
Isn't that about setting the core to run NTSC and then ensure the MiSTer settings themselves handle the refresh rate and such? I usually have the setting set to letting the display decide the refresh rate, so if its already running NTSC then that should be correct. I have not noticed anyone in the Discord test channel mention NTSC timings being off. There is also the option to force PAL 60hz mode, which might make it look better, but I guess that is not what the solution you want.
Caldor
Top Contributor

Unread post by Caldor »

Many PAL games use Libcrypto as copy protection and the PSX core and MiSTer mains latest updates added support for LibCrypto. Remember to update both if you want to test this, the updates were released yesterday Feb. 6th.

Besides doing the update, the folder with the CUE file for the game needs an SBI file which contains the missing parts of the CDs with the copy protection stuff. They can all be downloaded from redump.org under the download section.
pgimeno
Top Contributor

Unread post by pgimeno »

Yay for SBI support!

By the way, Dino Crisis 1 (U.S. version) is working, not sure how many versions ago. With this change, I'm eager to try the European version!
thorr
Top Contributor

Unread post by thorr »

Caldor wrote: Mon Feb 07, 2022 8:35 am Isn't that about setting the core to run NTSC and then ensure the MiSTer settings themselves handle the refresh rate and such? I usually have the setting set to letting the display decide the refresh rate, so if its already running NTSC then that should be correct. I have not noticed anyone in the Discord test channel mention NTSC timings being off. There is also the option to force PAL 60hz mode, which might make it look better, but I guess that is not what the solution you want.
Thanks. I am waiting for it to be correct with native timings in the core without having to figure out ways to make it work. I am patient (in this case, lol) and will keep waiting until the native timings are implemented. There are plenty of other things to keep me busy in the meantime. It will be cool when I experience the PSX core for the first time and any major bugs should be mostly gone by then and most features should be implemented.
Caldor
Top Contributor

Unread post by Caldor »

thorr wrote: Mon Feb 07, 2022 10:38 pm
Caldor wrote: Mon Feb 07, 2022 8:35 am Isn't that about setting the core to run NTSC and then ensure the MiSTer settings themselves handle the refresh rate and such? I usually have the setting set to letting the display decide the refresh rate, so if its already running NTSC then that should be correct. I have not noticed anyone in the Discord test channel mention NTSC timings being off. There is also the option to force PAL 60hz mode, which might make it look better, but I guess that is not what the solution you want.
Thanks. I am waiting for it to be correct with native timings in the core without having to figure out ways to make it work. I am patient (in this case, lol) and will keep waiting until the native timings are implemented. There are plenty of other things to keep me busy in the meantime. It will be cool when I experience the PSX core for the first time and any major bugs should be mostly gone by then and most features should be implemented.
I have still not heard about there being timing issues and I believe if there are the timing issues should be with the setup of the MiSTer itself and not the core. Have you tried asking in the PSX test channel on the Discord MiSTer group?
FPGAzumSpass
Core Developer

Unread post by FPGAzumSpass »

NTSC runs with little bit too low frequency currently, so games are slightly to slow and analog out timing doesn't match well for CRTs.
akeley
Top Contributor

Unread post by akeley »

thorr wrote: Mon Feb 07, 2022 10:38 pm I am patient (in this case, lol) and will keep waiting until the native timings are implemented. There are plenty of other things to keep me busy in the meantime. It will be cool when I experience the PSX core for the first time and any major bugs should be mostly gone by then and most features should be implemented.
I've also been holding out and waiting for the official release, but finally couldn't resist and gave it a go a few days ago. Seeing the likes of Tekken 2 intro working on MiSTer was simply amazing (even though, the image is shifted a bit). Overall, I still can hardly believe it's happening, especially since the core has been built from scratch in an express time. But, yeah, that was me just dipping a toe, I will wait for the fully featured release to do some serious gaming.

I have a modded PSX (my fav console) and love using it, so it'll remain my 1st choice, but I'm really looking forward to save states and analog controls in this core. Hope the former will be great for more drawn-out games like jRPGs, the latter for the likes of Einhander.
Aspie

Unread post by Aspie »

I have tried Wipeout and Wipeout 2097, both run and play the intro video and then hang. Would the SBI file fix this? Wipeout 3 works perfectly.
Caldor
Top Contributor

Unread post by Caldor »

Aspie wrote: Wed Feb 09, 2022 10:02 am I have tried Wipeout and Wipeout 2097, both run and play the intro video and then hang. Would the SBI file fix this? Wipeout 3 works perfectly.
Probably not. Its only PAL games that might have libcrypt. Here is a list of games known to have libcrypt and I am pretty sure it is probably the full list of libcrypt games:
http://redump.org/discs/libcrypt/2/

The PAL version of Wipeout 3 seems like it might use Libcrypt, but that is the only version I think.
MostroW

Unread post by MostroW »

i'm from PAL territory and the only reason i'd ever play a PAL version would be if there's no US or JAP version of that game.
Neocaron

Unread post by Neocaron »

MostroW wrote: Wed Feb 09, 2022 3:43 pm i'm from PAL territory and the only reason i'd ever play a PAL version would be if there's no US or JAP version of that game.
I think some interesting cases exist where Pal versions of some games run at higher resolution than NTSC versions. Combined with the Pal 60 mode in the core it could make for a few games running at higher res while having a 60hz refresh.
caad

Unread post by caad »

Neocaron wrote: Wed Feb 09, 2022 7:54 pm
MostroW wrote: Wed Feb 09, 2022 3:43 pm i'm from PAL territory and the only reason i'd ever play a PAL version would be if there's no US or JAP version of that game.
I think some interesting cases exist where Pal versions of some games run at higher resolution than NTSC versions. Combined with the Pal 60 mode in the core it could make for a few games running at higher res while having a 60hz refresh.
Not so. PAL60 runs at NTSC resolution, as it still has to add up to 15kHz.
Neocaron

Unread post by Neocaron »

caad wrote: Wed Feb 09, 2022 8:15 pm
Neocaron wrote: Wed Feb 09, 2022 7:54 pm
Not so. PAL60 runs at NTSC resolution, as it still has to add up to 15kHz.
Oh so games never ran at higher resolution in Pal mode? Or you're just saying than you can't have both wil a Pal 60 mode?
virtuali

Unread post by virtuali »

Neocaron wrote: Wed Feb 09, 2022 11:52 pmOh so games never ran at higher resolution in Pal mode? Or you're just saying than you can't have both wil a Pal 60 mode?
They run at a slightly higher res ( 256p vs 240p ), but at 50hz. If they run at 60hz, they use the NTSC resolution, with PAL color encoding, that is PAL60, which never existed on the real PSX, it was introduced with the Dreamcast.
caad

Unread post by caad »

virtuali wrote: Thu Feb 10, 2022 12:36 am
Neocaron wrote: Wed Feb 09, 2022 11:52 pmOh so games never ran at higher resolution in Pal mode? Or you're just saying than you can't have both wil a Pal 60 mode?
They run at a slightly higher res ( 256p vs 240p ), but at 50hz. If they run at 60hz, they use the NTSC resolution, with PAL color encoding, that is PAL60, which never existed on the real PSX, it was introduced with the Dreamcast.
Yeah, this is what I meant.