PSX Compatibility List

LamerDeluxe
Top Contributor

Re: PSX Compatibility List

Unread post by LamerDeluxe »

Woohooo! I have WipEout 3 (PAL version in this case, BIOS 7502) running on MiSTer with today's build!!! That is super impressive. It runs butter smooth. My favorite Playstation series working on MiSTer, this is fantastic.
EDIT: WipEout 3 SE actually.
pgimeno
Top Contributor

Unread post by pgimeno »

Sentinel Returns: the first level is playable. It hangs for me in the loading screen while returning to the menu. Lack of CD audio means you miss the amazing soundtrack by John Carpenter, though. EDIT: The PAL version is fully playable.

Silent Hill: The menu is invisible for some reason, but pressing Start blindly makes it start. [Edit: with the latest build the menu works!] It crashes a few seconds in, but it shows enough to see the dither in action, and wow!
Caldor
Top Contributor

Unread post by Caldor »

Games I have found working with the build released yesterday (08-12-2021) is Diablo, Warcraft 2 and Hexen. Hexen might have worked before I guess.

I have also updated the list a bit and began renaming the status of the games to fit the legend with games being "not working", "runnable", "playable" and "working" and I have added colors to more of the games to make it easier to tell the state of each game.

I found that Star Wars: Dark Forces is not fully working, but might freeze / crash. I guess it might be a problem that has come with the update, but I do not think so.

I think I will run some more tests this weekend. I have made a "working" folder in my MiSTers Playstation folder, for the games that seem to be working, so I can try to see if some of them end up getting problems with one of the updates. Diablo might run a bit slow, but not so much its annoying, and it might be how it ran originally. Warcraft 2 seems to be running great without any issues. I was also able to play Tekken 3, the game usually crashed for me, but now I could boot the game and get into a fight, but then it froze at the end of the first round.

Another interesting development, I could play the Japanese Resident Evil 2 demo, called Biohazard 2. I got into the game, and I shot several zombies. I suck at it and got killed, and that crashed the game, but until then it seemed to work pretty great.

There was another update today. I doubt it fixes any of these games, but I guess it might. The note he made was "DMA Linked list fix - fixes FF8 battles", so that sounds promising. I guess DMA Linked list might be used in many games.
Moondandy
Top Contributor

Unread post by Moondandy »

I put some conditional formatting on the B column to automatically set the correct colour based on the text entry, so should keep it uniform and nudge people to use one of your 4 options. There isn't any formatting on the A and C columns and I haven't wiped what was there before. I could look at putting in a formula to match the colour to B tomorrow.

I tried to add some counters to the bottom but I am getting a parse error despite the formula being correct, so it's possible I don't have permissions to do this. If you scroll down to the bottom here you can see what I was going to add, counters for each and some totals using simple =COUNTIF functions
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... =499725625

Wu-Tang - Shaolin Style (USA) is working, but very long freeze after each level that I can't imagine is on the game (but it could be).
RalphJB

Unread post by RalphJB »

So Driver 1 is not working
Driver 2 appears to be working. Both discs
Caldor
Top Contributor

Unread post by Caldor »

Moondandy wrote: Thu Dec 09, 2021 11:41 pm I put some conditional formatting on the B column to automatically set the correct colour based on the text entry, so should keep it uniform and nudge people to use one of your 4 options. There isn't any formatting on the A and C columns and I haven't wiped what was there before. I could look at putting in a formula to match the colour to B tomorrow.

I tried to add some counters to the bottom but I am getting a parse error despite the formula being correct, so it's possible I don't have permissions to do this. If you scroll down to the bottom here you can see what I was going to add, counters for each and some totals using simple =COUNTIF functions
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... =499725625

Wu-Tang - Shaolin Style (USA) is working, but very long freeze after each level that I can't imagine is on the game (but it could be).
Nice... could the two other columns maybe also be set to have its color based on the status in in the state columns? Oh, you already commented on that.
georgemog

Unread post by georgemog »

Syphon Filter US is now working with the 9Dec21 fixes. The game is playable but some GPU problems. I am guessing that the larger DMA and CDROM fix cured it.
pgimeno
Top Contributor

Unread post by pgimeno »

RalphJB wrote: Fri Dec 10, 2021 3:18 am So Driver 1 is not working
Driver 2 appears to be working. Both discs
Driver 1 has problems even in original hardware. It hangs frequently. In PCSX ReARMed, retrying the first stage crashes the emulator.
Moondandy
Top Contributor

I figured out how to clean up the conditional formatting, should be a bit cleaner and more uniform now. You guys may want to log the error codes in a column and add what they mean to the legend, Robert is taking note of what error codes and fixing certain ones.
Caldor
Top Contributor

Unread post by Caldor »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=suz4bUbaMjQ

I made another video trying out different PS1 games with the newest core. A LOT more games are working now or working much better than before. The save state system is pretty amazing and can help get around some of the bugs. F.ex. Pandemonium freezes now and then, but it seems pretty random, so making save states can help get you past when it does freeze.

Not sure what happened but Tekken 3 worked without a problem early on when testing it, then later it kept freezing again after ending a fight.

Legacy of Kain Blood Omen and Soul Reaver work much better now. Blood Omen seems to be fully working, and Soul Reaver does freeze now and then, but that seems possible to get around with save states as well.

All in all, it actually seems like most games are now working. Some games that still do not work is Resident Evil games and Silent Hill. They crash quite considently.

But more notable games that work now: Metal Gear Solid, Tenchu, X-Com, Time Crisis, Time Commando, GTA 2 (worked before but froze, now it does not seem to freeze), and Quake 2 actually seems to be fully working. A flew graphical glitches but they are quite minor.

I will try to update the sheet later. But the updates today sure has changed a lot. Regarding the error codes, they are listed on the GIT:
https://github.com/RobertPeip/PlayStation_MiSTer

"Error messages
If there is a recognized problem, an overlay is displayed, showing which error has occured. You can hide these messages with an OSD option, by default they are on.

List of Errors: E1 - missing CD command E2 - CPU exception E3..E6 - GPU hangs (e.g. corrupt display list)"

I will add them to the sheet.
Caldor
Top Contributor

Unread post by Caldor »

More games that work much better after the latest updates:
Broken Sword - Shadow of the Templars, Discworld 1+2. Broken Sword 2 and Discworld Noir I think still has some issues, but with Broken Sword 2, it might be because its an SCES version, which I think is an unsupported region for this core or something. Discworld Noir gets en E2, CPU Exception error at the intro, just at the end of it pretty much before the game should start.

Duke Nukem - Time to Kill, Fade 2 Black (I think it freezes occassionally though), Syndicate Wars, Street Fighter 2, Worms 1, Worms World Party (Freezes in game but works better than before) and Adventures of Lomax (Lemmings platformer game)

I do not think I mentioned Carmageddon. It seems to be fully working :)
gibs

Unread post by gibs »

Those games were not runing with the previous version :

Caldor
Top Contributor

Unread post by Caldor »

Another update was out today, and even more games are working. A lot of games had random errors that seem to be working now.

So games like Resident Evil 2 and 3, Silent Hill, Medievil 1+2 and Soul Reaver are working now.

The list of games that wont run has become really small :)

A few games that still wont run:
Gran Turismo 1+2 Sim mode, Arcade version of both does work
Doom, hangs after a loading screen
Lemmings 3D, hangs after a loading screen
Spyro 3 1.1 - Intro loops, but 1.0 works.
Dead or Alive - Runs, has some pretty heavy graphical issues
Alundra - Black screen when entering a door, but turns out this is a problem for emulators as well and might be a problem with the game. Although it sometimes works in the emulators.
Battle Arena Toshinden - Wont run, I think its a copy protection issue - Update, US version works
Tomb Raider 1 - Wont run, pretty sure its also copy protection doing it.
Resident Evil 1 / Biohazard 1 - Can load into the menu but wont load the game.

So most the problems are copy protection related, but often only applies to the EU version of the games, so a US version might run as they mostly did not get the copy protection.
bbond007
Top Contributor

Unread post by bbond007 »

Parasite Eve seems to be working...

That makes me very happy :) Thank you FPGAzumSpass!
Parasite Eve_1.png
Parasite Eve_1.png (1.13 MiB) Viewed 14284 times
MottZilla

Unread post by MottZilla »

Mega Man X4 is working beyond what the compatibility list says now. Using version 20211215_17a7 the game played fine all the way through the stage select, picked web spider, completed it, and returned to the stage select.
Caldor
Top Contributor

Unread post by Caldor »

MottZilla wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 2:54 am Mega Man X4 is working beyond what the compatibility list says now. Using version 20211215_17a7 the game played fine all the way through the stage select, picked web spider, completed it, and returned to the stage select.
The compatibility list is heavily outdated, because almost everything works now. It just seems a bit overwhelming to update it now as it will be about listing those 5-8 games that might not be fully working anymore. That seems to be what it has come down to now.
Cebion

Unread post by Cebion »

That's why it makes no sense on the current stage to even have such a list.
Once we have a release or a stage where Robert says let go find bugs then a list makes sense
Caldor
Top Contributor

Unread post by Caldor »

Cebion wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 11:35 am That's why it makes no sense on the current stage to even have such a list.
Once we have a release or a stage where Robert says let go find bugs then a list makes sense
There are two reasons for the list. To begin with, this list was to help testers who wanted to try the early releases of the core to find games that would actually run on it.

At this point though, the core is actually mature enough to use the list for what such lists are usually used for, to help find the games that do not work and the bugs they have. Which is already being done in a test channel on the official Discord for the MiSTer.

Peips plan is to try to get all games to be able to boot (but some probably not fully load) before he takes some much deserved holidays vacation, after which, if his goal is accomplished in time, he can then focus on audio next month.

Update: That is not exactly Peips plan as he commented on after this post :oops:
FPGAzumSpass
Core Developer

Unread post by FPGAzumSpass »

Caldor wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 12:10 pm Peips plan is to try to get all games to be able to boot (but some probably not fully load) before he takes some much deserved holidays vacation
I hopefully never said that :shock:

I will try what i can do, but that is absolutly impossible.
MostroW

Unread post by MostroW »

FPGAzumSpass wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 12:38 pm I hopefully never said that :shock:

<sarcasm mode>People will decide what you said or didn't say mr. Peip!</sarcasm mode>
pgimeno
Top Contributor

Unread post by pgimeno »

Caldor wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 8:30 am The compatibility list is heavily outdated, because almost everything works now. It just seems a bit overwhelming to update it now as it will be about listing those 5-8 games that might not be fully working anymore. That seems to be what it has come down to now.
I believe at this stage it might be helpful even for FPGAzumSpass to list the games with problems and what the problems are. Also, some games that aren't working are not reported.

Dino Crisis 1 is not working, neither the PAL nor the NTSC version even though the latter doesn't use LibCrypt. Both hang in the same point though, so it may still be some form of copy protection. Dino Crisis 2 works, but it hangs frequently, apparently for CD-related reasons.

NFS: Road Challenge works (with glitches), but it freezes if you select Restart.
Caldor
Top Contributor

Unread post by Caldor »

FPGAzumSpass wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 12:38 pm
Caldor wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 12:10 pm Peips plan is to try to get all games to be able to boot (but some probably not fully load) before he takes some much deserved holidays vacation
I hopefully never said that :shock:

Ahh, sorry. I heard it from someone else and not you, and did question if that was really the plan. Which lead to me asking what it might mean, because a game booting might not mean the game actually being playable. In this compatibility list I list games that boot but cannot be played as "runnable".

From my view, the core is already at a great place I think. Memory cards + audio and it seems to me it would be 99.9% complete. Not sure how many % of the completeness the audio counts for, but pretty sure that for some cores its a pretty big chunk of it all. Looking at the progress with interest.

Sorry for announcing goals you did not really have. Or at least the timeline for them.
mic_

Unread post by mic_ »

I've tested a bunch of games with PlayStation_unstable_20211218_f184, and the only one I wasn't able to get running was Street Fighter EX Plus Alpha (USA) (.bin file SHA256: e1050b3b8a3d26e04d4bbe196a7ded17cd0ff1e7de944d0fd7e161c48d60f9ca).
After I press Start on the title screen, the screen goes black and then nothing seems to happen. I waited maybe a minute. Having fastboot On or Off didn't seem to make any difference.

These games all seemed to run without any serious issues though (at least during the ~10 minutes I spent on each game):
  • Breath of Fire III (USA)
  • Klonoa : Door to Phantomile (USA)
  • Kuru Kuru Twinkle : Onegai Ohoshi-sama
  • Megaman 8 (USA)
  • Money Idol Exchanger
  • Omega Boost (USA)
  • Pastel Muses
  • Pop'n Pop
  • Puzzle Star Sweep (USA)
  • Tekken 2 (USA)
  • Tokimeki Memorial Taisen Puzzledama
  • Zanac x Zanac
Pastel Muses has this screen before you start playing where a checkerboard pattern is scrolling diagonally in the background, and it seemed to exhibit some graphical glitches at the top and bottom of the screen. But I haven't checked if behaves the same on my real Playstation (e.g. if that's supposed to be hidden in the overscan area).
barfood

Unread post by barfood »

I am unable to get "Tetris with Card Captor Sakura - Eternal Heart" to start because of region-lock protection (stuck at blue screen with Japanese text). I tried setting system type to NTSC-J in the v211218 build, but no luck. Tested with both US and JP BIOS. Updated the google sheet.
Captain FPGA

Unread post by Captain FPGA »

Twisted Metal 2 - crashes before splash screen
Tomb Raider 3 - working but must press start to get through menus and into gameplay or risk crashing
Crash Bandicoot - working with artifacts above and below screen
Dreams don't die!
Moondandy
Top Contributor

King's Fields (USA) now working, although has an E8 error on screen
Fun + Learning 1 + 2 also now working
caffeinekid

Unread post by caffeinekid »

Final Fantasy VI locks up when you get to the screen where you start a new game, as soon as you touch the controls.
Akuma

Unread post by Akuma »

caffeinekid wrote: Thu Dec 23, 2021 4:28 pm Final Fantasy VI locks up when you get to the screen where you start a new game, as soon as you touch the controls.
Try selecting another disc from the core menu, then revert to the original disc.

This works for Tenchu - Stealth Assasins, might work for you too :?:

EDIT:
* Added Tenchu USA/JAP to the list
turboaddiction

Unread post by turboaddiction »

Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver plays the opening 2 publisher videos and just sticks on a black screen after and never makes it to the menu.
Caldor
Top Contributor

Unread post by Caldor »

turboaddiction wrote: Thu Dec 30, 2021 4:00 pm Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver plays the opening 2 publisher videos and just sticks on a black screen after and never makes it to the menu.
Should work all the way in game, then it might crash at some points, but if you use save states before it happens, it should be possible to get past those points. Use the US version of the game, its most likely the one that works best.