Unread post by Caldor »

Games I have gotten to work so far:

Destruction Derby Raw
Blood Omen: Legacy of Kain
Bushido Blade
Bubble Bobble Collection
Populous 3: The Beginning
Alien Trilogy

The list of non-working games is a lot longer, but I am thinking I might have done something wrong, so I have not listed those.

I have made a sheet on Google Drive so we can keep track of what games are working:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... sp=sharing
held

Re: PSX Compatibility List

Unread post by held »

Working imo means that I could finish the game without any problems.
So before we start reinventing the wheel again, could we use the Dosbox legend for example
https://www.dosbox.com/comp_list.php?letter=a.

Thus runnable - playable - supported or something similar?
FPGAzumSpass
Core Developer

Unread post by FPGAzumSpass »

I bet noone has really finished a game yet, so it's hard to tell.

Games i can recommend, because i have not seen them hang yet:
- Croc
- Crash Bandicoot
- Theme Hospital
- Z
Neocaron

Unread post by Neocaron »

Alien trilogy runs 10x faster than on the ao486 and it has 24bit colors. The fmvs are superbe on the PSX core.
Alien trilogy is playable, there is just this weird glitch where when you die it seems to cycle through all the possible death fmvs, but other than that I was impressed on how good it looked!
Teknostorm

Unread post by Teknostorm »

Working
- Metal Slug
- Sexy Parodius

Not working
- Harmful Park - Hangs on the loading screen.
- Metal Slug X - Loads into the game, but hangs part way through the first level.
EvilRyu

Unread post by EvilRyu »

NBA Hang Time loads and plays more or less well with glitched stands and hoops
held

Unread post by held »

I hope everyone can see the lists I added from PlayStation DataCenter in the docs from Caldor in the 1st post.
There are 3 extra tabs, for now just use the Runnable, Playable, Supported and a comment if need be.
  • USA/NTSC
  • EUR/PAL
  • JAP/NTSC
I leave whatever "Supported" means up to FPGAzumSpass.

So I would ask everyone to add their games accordingly :D
jca
Top Contributor

Unread post by jca »

I have a real hard time running anything besides exe files.
I downloaded and compiled the latest core, the readme states CDs must be single track and EU region.
Real ISOs are nowhere to be seen, they always end up in BIN/CUE format and are multi track.
Bushido Blade is supposed to work and I have a BIN/CUE with only 1 BIN. When trying to run it the Sony startup screen becomes giant (I see less than the upper left part of this giant screen with only the S of Sony showing), the core seems to reset and I am back at the normal startup screen. With not much hope I converted the BIN/CUE to ISO but as expected the same thing happens.
held

Unread post by held »

Try binchunker: http://he.fi/bchunk/
jca
Top Contributor

Unread post by jca »

I made some progress: turning Fastboot On seems to fix it.
pgimeno
Top Contributor

Unread post by pgimeno »

I use https://github.com/putnam/binmerge (in Python) to join multitrack disks into a single file.
Slein
Core Developer

Unread post by Slein »

jca wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 5:04 pm I downloaded and compiled the latest core, the readme states CDs must be single track and EU region.
Try US region, i couldnt get a single EU game to work.
Maybe that depends on the bios rom? I have no idea where the SCPH1001.BIN i use came from.

The games FPGAzumSpass mentioned work for me in US version.
Tomb Raider V Japanese is ok too, at least the fly arounds in the title screen are near perfect.

I still can't believe this is real, many thanks for all this work.
ExCyber

Unread post by ExCyber »

Slein wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 8:05 am
jca wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 5:04 pm I downloaded and compiled the latest core, the readme states CDs must be single track and EU region.
Try US region, i couldnt get a single EU game to work.
I don't think the "region only EU" line in the readme means that Europe/PAL games are required, but rather that the ID string fed to the system from the CD controller is always "SCEE" regardless of the loaded game's region or the region setting. I'm not sure this actually affects anything other than the string displayed at the bottom of the PS logo screen.
Caldor
Top Contributor

Unread post by Caldor »

FPGAzumSpass wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 8:02 am I bet noone has really finished a game yet, so it's hard to tell.

Games i can recommend, because i have not seen them hang yet:
- Croc
- Crash Bandicoot
- Theme Hospital
- Z
I also had success loading these games All but Theme Hospital seems to be fully working even. No bugs found so far and only minor graphical errors.

But Theme Hospital has some graphical errors that made it difficult to play. Icons and such not being updated or being replicated. Might be related to the issue Blood Omen has, where sometimes the player graphics is replaced with the enemies animations. Becomes obvious from the start of the game.

I also tried Worms which has some interesting graphical glitches where the ground layer graphic does not move around correctly all the time. I suspect it will make for a good way of debugging the core at some point. I made an issue on the Git about this and also posted on the Patreon about it.
softtest9

Unread post by softtest9 »

From the readme at https://github.com/RobertPeip/PlayStation_MiSTer

"Work in progress, don't report any bugs!"
FPGAzumSpass
Core Developer

Unread post by FPGAzumSpass »

The problem with bug reports at the current state is that they are often not very helpful.
Nearly all are from some older version and changes are to be expected every few days.

I will create a seperate thread when i'm out of tasks and it's really worth posting bugs.
Caldor
Top Contributor

Unread post by Caldor »

softtest9 wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 10:58 am From the readme at https://github.com/RobertPeip/PlayStation_MiSTer

As I explained, it was not intended as a bug report, but as something to help with debugging the core as he was developing it.
callanabrown

Unread post by callanabrown »

Caldor wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 2:16 pm
softtest9 wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 10:58 am From the readme at https://github.com/RobertPeip/PlayStation_MiSTer

As I explained, it was not intended as a bug report, but as something to help with debugging the core as he was developing it.
That's what a bug report is, please respect his wishes and don't report bugs related to any specific games.
LamerDeluxe
Top Contributor

Unread post by LamerDeluxe »

Apocalypse is working fine here with the latest core update (after reset). I'm using a version I extracted from a PBP file.
Syndicate Wars seems to be working well.
Caldor
Top Contributor

Unread post by Caldor »

LamerDeluxe wrote: Sat Dec 04, 2021 8:06 pm Apocalypse is working fine here with the latest core update (after reset). I'm using a version I extracted from a PBP file.
Syndicate Wars seems to be working well.
Apocalypse already worked quite well in the first release in my test. But I do not think I could get Syndicate Wars working though. Ahh, something get mixed up in the document I see. The comment there is for Apocalypse was meant for Alundra. I guess the list is now a bit shorter than it used to be.
Caldor
Top Contributor

Unread post by Caldor »

held wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 7:47 am Working imo means that I could finish the game without any problems.
So before we start reinventing the wheel again, could we use the Dosbox legend for example
https://www.dosbox.com/comp_list.php?letter=a.

Thus runnable - playable - supported or something similar?
Good idea. So far by "working" I just means playable in some way. I figured it would be downgraded once anyone ran into bugs that would stop it from being fully working. I have already been testing for several hours, and I tried to make it quick. The Dosbox example took several years to have such a complete list and the testing was done by a lot of people.

Checking up on the list now, I see it has been changed a bit. Its fully open so anyone with the link can change it, but there is a change history as well. For some reason everything on the list currently says working, and that is not how it started out. I think it makes sense to assume they are fully working until bugs are found. Then get bumped down to playable if and when bugs are found. It has been done a bit fast though, and the first goal was mainly to help people find out which games are working so they could try them and test the core in the state it is in now.

I think the Dosbox legend is a good way of doing it. I will update the list as it is now using those, and I think I will add something that explains them. Nice addition with the extra tabs with more specific names, that is the best way to approach this. The first tab is meant to be a quick test to help others know what games seem to be possible to get to work. Which I guess is one problem there is with the approach of "assuming its fully working and downgrade when bugs are found" if what is found is someone not using the most optimal settings or have some RAM ghosting from previous boots giving problems. But I am thinking the note system and people sharing their experience will get around to figuring this out.
LamerDeluxe
Top Contributor

I have Rollcage Stage 2 working here with today's core build, loading is really slow, but the demos are working, which is impressive. Need to try the first ones again. The WipEout games play their intro videos (sometimes needing a few retries). Maybe they also just load really slowly, have to check.

Colin McRae's menu and title screens are not flickering anymore with today's build, haven't seen in game working yet, might also just be really slowly loading.
Caldor
Top Contributor

Unread post by Caldor »

I have setup a legend tab with these descriptions:
Working: Game is playable with minor bugs at most
Playable: Game is playable but with noticeable bugs
Runnable: Game boots in some way

I began updating some of the games using this status / state description. I also noticed a filter had been added, which is why some games were missing but also it was on the second row, instead of the first. Might be how some things got mixed up. I added a global filter on the first row, it seems to work.
Caldor
Top Contributor

Unread post by Caldor »

FPGAzumSpass wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 2:15 pm The problem with bug reports at the current state is that they are often not very helpful.
Nearly all are from some older version and changes are to be expected every few days.

I will create a seperate thread when i'm out of tasks and it's really worth posting bugs.
Fair enough. I just figured this specific case might have been helpful even in the current state as it might have helped adjust... stuff... or something.

I will wait with any form of bug report till you and the core is ready for them.
LamerDeluxe
Top Contributor

I just realized Rollcage Stage II is a PAL version. Switched to PAL mode and the 7502 BIOS ROM and it works as well as in NTSC mode with the 1001 BIOS, with the only difference that the display is PAL standard.
Moondandy
Top Contributor

Unread post by Moondandy »

Got an odd one, not sure if it is a bug but I can't see why it would be happening. Have tried the US second disc of Command & Conquer Red Alert Retaliation (Soviets) redump and gone into playing a skirmish and everything seems fine, am able to play without issue - except I can only build power plants. Everything else is greyed out so was just able to build a row of pointless power plants until someone rolled up and killed me. Anyone else tried this one?
held

Unread post by held »

LamerDeluxe wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 10:47 pm I just realized Rollcage Stage II is a PAL version. Switched to PAL mode and the 7502 BIOS ROM and it works as well as in NTSC mode with the 1001 BIOS, with the only difference that the display is PAL standard.
Exactly the reason I gave for also mentioning the serial (SLUS-xxxxx SLES-xxxxx SLPS-xxxxx)
This way everyone knows which game we are talking about :D
LamerDeluxe
Top Contributor

held wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 6:40 pm
LamerDeluxe wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 10:47 pm I just realized Rollcage Stage II is a PAL version. Switched to PAL mode and the 7502 BIOS ROM and it works as well as in NTSC mode with the 1001 BIOS, with the only difference that the display is PAL standard.
Exactly the reason I gave for also mentioning the serial (SLUS-xxxxx SLES-xxxxx SLPS-xxxxx)
This way everyone knows which game we are talking about :D
Good point. I was just trying the few rips I had laying around. Not sure if i had patched this Rollcage rip, as it was notoriously difficult to get it to run on an emulator.

EDIT: Ooh, G-Police is working with the current build (haven't tested it with earlier ones), that is really cool. Don't know the serial, but it is the US version.
held

Unread post by held »

Yeah, that might be a problem for a lot of people now that I think of it.
Maybe the dev could show us that info in the OSD or something.
Moondandy
Top Contributor

Unread post by Moondandy »

Tried Red Alert Retaliation today on the new build, got it working fine in a skirmish, not sure what was going on yesterday (maybe user error), so can confirm you can play a skirmish game on both disc 1 and 2 of the USA version. Plays very nicely.