I get a black screen when booting the PS1 core

Waifu4Life

I get a black screen when booting the PS1 core

Unread post by Waifu4Life »

Hey there,

I updated the main MiSTer core and added the new PS1 core to my Micro SD card via FTP and I already had the BIOS file prepared. Thing is, I get a black screen when loading the PS1 core, can't load the menu and I need to power cycle. I've included some picks, can anyone tell me what I'm doing wrong?

Cheers
2021-11-26 21_57_57-fat - MiSTer LAN - WinSCP.png
2021-11-26 21_57_57-fat - MiSTer LAN - WinSCP.png (94.14 KiB) Viewed 11124 times
2021-11-26 22_41_01-PlayStation - MiSTer LAN - WinSCP.png
2021-11-26 22_41_01-PlayStation - MiSTer LAN - WinSCP.png (146.83 KiB) Viewed 11093 times
Flandango
Core Developer

Re: I get a black screen when booting the PS1 core

Unread post by Flandango »

Try renaming SCPH1001.BIN to boot.rom
Waifu4Life

Flandango wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 3:32 am Try renaming SCPH1001.BIN to boot.rom
Just tried it (also updated the picture), but it didn't change anything.
Flandango
Core Developer

Just tried it myself. With the bios, it will load up, do the initial animation, allows me to open the OSD and select a .bin file and immediately locks up my Mister to where I have to power it off and back on.
I don't get a black screen but still locks up.
What kind of SDRAM do you have? I have a 128Meg, previous generation so maybe it's not up to par.
Flandango
Core Developer

I just pulled down the latest code and compiled it (one with loading CD Image with HPS).
Set Fastboot to On and use the Load Iso HPS... option to load your iso/bin file. It should then run.
If you have an SDRAM Module and you are still getting a black screen and you are transferring your files with FTP instead of SCP, make sure FTP is transferring in Binary mode and not Text mode. Some FTP Clients default to Text mode which will screw up binary files.
Waifu4Life

Well the problem seems to be the fact that I'm using a CRT. I tried it on my HDTV and it works... sort of. Most games lock-up after the title screen even with fast boot on and some games will freeze temporarily or permanently during game play.
FatSlob71

Unread post by FatSlob71 »

I get no sound at all games boot though!
caad

Unread post by caad »

Please read up on what state this core is in!

Sound is not yet implemented.
Direct Video/analog is not yet supported.

And it's just a preview, bug reports aren't even needed yet.
Caldor
Top Contributor

Unread post by Caldor »

There is no sound at all yet. Its an early beta, a lot of games will boot. Tests have only been done with the scp1001 bios, and there are at least 5 bioses for the PS1. Some games do not boot at all, and some games seems to be fully working except for the missing sound.

Remember to follow the instructions. The bios needs to be renamed to boot.rom and be put in the Playstation folder. After booting the core, enable fast booting and load a bin or iso file. Some wont boot at all, so try a few different ones if possible. Then if something fails, turn off fast booting again, reset and turn fast booting on again.

There is a newer core out now, but might not be easy to find, that should fix having to disable and enable the fast boot every time a new game is to be loaded. Personally in some cases, I found it help to reload the core itself, to get a game running. So some things still seems to remain in the RAM or caches of the system between resets.
TheBrigandier

Unread post by TheBrigandier »

I'm running into similar issues. I get the Sony Computer Entertainment portion of the BIOS to pop up, but any game I try pops up a red "CD" error top left (using the latest nightly). Some things I have tried:
  • md5sum of disc images vs redump.org, seems to be valid,
  • SCPH1001.bin renamed to boot.rom and placed into PlayStation/Playstation folder (tried both). md5sum on this seems to be correct as well,
  • Fastboot on, off, reset settings, etc, no change.
  • Compiled it locally using Quartus 17, enabling traditional analog out (since I have that and output to CRT), no change that I could tell other than the core worked on my CRT.
Seems like whatever I do, I just get the red "CD" error immediately after white portion of system startup finishes.

Not expecting fixes/support here or reporting a bug, I understand the status of the project well and just eager to try some stuff out. If anyone knows what's up and could fill me in, it'd be appreciated. Thanks!
FPGAzumSpass
Core Developer

Unread post by FPGAzumSpass »

Make sure you have the latest Mister Main nightly.
jca
Top Contributor

Unread post by jca »

FPGAzumSpass wrote: Sat Dec 11, 2021 7:22 am Make sure you have the latest Mister Main nightly.
:?:
Until now I did not use the nightly builds, I just download the source from your Github and build the core. So far I did not get a black screen when booting. After your post I checked the Mister Main nightly which is from the 11/27 which is the same as the official one. When you post a new version on your Github should I also check the latest Mister Main nightly in case there is a new one?
Thanks for your fantastic work.
TheBrigandier

Unread post by TheBrigandier »

FPGAzumSpass wrote: Sat Dec 11, 2021 7:22 am Make sure you have the latest Mister Main nightly.
Whoops, didn't realize it may have an upstream dependency there, works like a champ now, and looks amazing on a PVM. Thank you for all your hard work on this, it's incredible!
FPGAzumSpass
Core Developer

Unread post by FPGAzumSpass »

If you have a current version, you have no problem.

What TheBrigandier describes looks like he has a old mister main, that doesn't allow CD image loading from HPS.