Controllers

chocomochino

Controllers

Unread post by chocomochino »

i think a lot of people will go for a Ps3; but is there any recommended solution (wireless) for PSX & Saturn max compatility?
FoxbatStargazer
Top Contributor

Re: Controllers

Unread post by FoxbatStargazer »

PS4/5? :P

You can always map Saturn Z/C to L2/R2 on any modern controller. But did you specifically want 6 face buttons? That might be hard to get while keeping dual analog sticks.
chocomochino

well i've heard that the sixasis (motion controller) actually sends a lot of instructions to the mister generating lag (i have no idea if this is true) i also do not like dualshock 4 light (i think it kills the mood and just drains the battery)
kalach.x

Unread post by kalach.x »

According to this nice spreadsheet https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... edit#gid=0 very good option for Mister is PS5 gamepad. It has ~1.8ms latency over USB and ~6.2ms wireless which is marginally better than what PS4 gamepad scored. PS3 pad has much higher latency which is unfortunate for me because I intended Mister to be some use case for it.

With wireless there is also additional thing to take in to consideration: BT receiver and how it itself affects latency.
USB connection is simpler and what I personally use. Connecting PS5 gamepad to mister doesn't unpair it from PS5 so when pad is disconnected from Mister it can be used with PS5 normally.
Schyz

Unread post by Schyz »

For Saturn I will use my 8Bitdo M30, seems like the perfect fit and it has worked great so far with the Megadrive core.

For PlayStation any gamepad for PC should work, I will use my 8Bitdo Pro 2, which I use with many cores in MiSTer and I haven't had any issues yet.

If you want to use a PlayStation controller and you are having issues, give a try to the 8Bitdo Wireless dongle, it should take whatever signals the controller sends and translate them into pure XInput, so no sixaxis/motion signals will reach the USB port.
FoxbatStargazer
Top Contributor

The 8bitdo pro/2 does come to mind if you want Playstation style stick placement. Set in x-input mode it won't send any gyro data.
dmckean

Unread post by dmckean »

The usb PS1 controllers that come with the Playsation Classic console have really low lag.
Schyz

Unread post by Schyz »

dmckean wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 4:01 am The usb PS1 controllers that come with the Playsation Classic console have really low lag.
OP requested wireless.
djsquare

Unread post by djsquare »

I ordered one of these from Raphnet
https://www.raphnet-tech.com/products/p ... /index.php

I also use their Saturn adapter and it works wonderful. I always recommend their products but then again, I don't care about wireless controllers at all.
darksakul

Unread post by darksakul »

I found PS4 Dual Shock and PS5 Dual Sense works the best

Past MiSTer updates fixed the issue with motion controls.
It is my great regret that we live in an age that is proud of machines that think and suspicious of people who try to.
chocomochino

Thank you so much for all the comments! this really helps me ! 8bitdo pro 2 and Dualshock 5 are great wireless options, i also right now use a m30 and a sfc classic controller with raphnet, i think i'll go with the dualshock 5 because i cna use it with the ps5 when i get the slim version :v
held

Unread post by held »

This was an interesting read: https://www.retrorgb.com/controller-lag ... osted.html
And this an easy page to filter on controller types: https://rpubs.com/misteraddons/inputlatency

I just put in Sony and I got this:

Code: Select all

Device				Connection		Latency (in ms)	Category	Row
191	Sony - DualSense		Wired USB			1.809	Controller	227
192	Sony - DualSense		BT (CSR8510)			6.322	Controller	228
193	Sony - DualShock 3		Wired USB			9.266	Controller	229
194	Sony - DualShock 3		BT (CSR8510)			11.646	Controller	230
195	Sony - DualShock 4 (Rev2)	Wired USB			3.56	Controller	231
196	Sony - DualShock 4 (Rev2)	BT (CSR8510)			6.495	Controller	232
197	Sony - DualShock 4 (Rev2)	Sony Off. DS4 Adapter		32.831	Controller	233
198	Sony - Playstation Classic	Wired USB			2.044	Controller	235
I hate those PS5 Controllers because of the embedded microphone, so I think its going to be PS4 for me.
I haven't figured out yet what I'm going to do, maybe I could pry them out. Oh well.

Does anyone have problems with the cheaper BT receivers?
drgruney

Unread post by drgruney »

held wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 7:11 pm I hate those PS5 Controllers because of the embedded microphone, so I think its going to be PS4 for me.
I haven't figured out yet what I'm going to do, maybe I could pry them out. Oh well.
Why is the mic a problem? Is there an audio device driver conflict?
softtest9

Unread post by softtest9 »

Using the DualSense on anything but a PS5 seems to be a bit problematic. Last time I tried it on the MiSTer, it would consistently cancel out my USB drive on boot. I had to boot it with the DualSense disconnected and then I connected the DualSense when the MiSTer was up and running.

I've also noticed that on a PC, the buttons are wrong in XInput games or they just aren't recognized in some cases. Reminds me of when I tried the DualShock 3 on a PC some years ago. Wireless didn't work at all, LEDs were always blinking etc. My best recommendation for now is to play it safe and go for one of the wired Logitech controllers and not mess with console controllers (unless you already got one laying around).
hiddenbyleaves

Unread post by hiddenbyleaves »

Wow the DS3 is worse wired than the DS4 over bluetooth!!
FoxbatStargazer
Top Contributor

Wow on the DS3 numbers... has to be part of why PS2 games can feel so laggy even on a full BC PS3... although the PS3 polling rate may be too low to appreciate much better!
held

Unread post by held »

drgruney wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 8:48 pm Why is the mic a problem? Is there an audio device driver conflict?
No, I just hate the idea of battery powered Bluetooth microphones laying around the house.
hiddenbyleaves wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 11:57 am Wow the DS3 is worse wired than the DS4 over bluetooth!!
Not if you use the Official Sony Dual Shock 4 Adapter/Receiver ;)
softtest9 wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 8:28 am Using the DualSense on anything but a PS5 seems to be a bit problematic.
I wasn't aware, that really tips in favor of those PS4 controllers. Although I do not notice the lag on my PS3 controller. It actually feels very responsive, even from across the room.

I know its tested an all, but I cant help wondering if the total combination plays a factor. The chips might be the same on some Bluetooth receivers, but the quality might not be. Just like with memory, but I am no expert when it comes to these things.
chocomochino

Well, this helps a lot, today my Gf confessed to me she got me a Duashock Ps5 controller for christmas, so it's already settled :v
time-lord

Unread post by time-lord »

Hi, first post. ^^
Has anyone actually tried to use a 8BitDo Pro 2 Controller with a Retro Receiver on this core?
On Linux and Windows everything works flawless, any analog-axes are recognized, with usb-cable or the receiver, everything is set to X-Input mode.
On MiSTer, at least in the "Define joystick buttons" dialog, the two analog-sticks get recognized as well, with usb-cable or the receiver, but they don't work in the Playstation Core.
The controller mode in the menu is set to "Analog", nothing happens if i try to use the analog-sticks.
Do i possibly miss something? L2 and R2 are analog inputs and work as buttons, i tested it mainly in "Croc".
I tried btw. every thinkable constellation of controller- (and receiver-) modes with different beta-firmwares for the receiver, but it leads all to the same result.
movisman

Unread post by movisman »

For me personally, I've got a PS5 controller in use with MiSTer (as well as an M30). Both are connected using a bluetooth dongle and I've not noticed any problems with either. Both will power off after a period of inactivity. I think to make the PS5 controller power down when not in use, in the mister.ini file you just have to specify the value of bt_auto_disconnect to however many minutes of inactivity you want (default is 0). I set mine to 5 and the feature works. I haven't used the controllers loads, but so far there have been no issues for me.
time-lord

Unread post by time-lord »

... i just tracked my "problem" down.
I use MiSTer since two years but never came across the menu defining page in the dialog for the controller config, because i usually use "L+R" or "Start+Select" for the menu and then press "Enter" on a always connected Keyboard if it says "Ok", i've never seen the pages beyond that...
I can now confirm that 8BitDo Pro 2 analog-sticks work flawless with a usb-cable or the 8BitDo usb-adapter together with the Playstation core. ^^
held

Unread post by held »

Battery empty, I thought I could hook my PS5 controller up to the MiSTer and charge it. But that does not seem to be working. So what can I use, a phone charger?
Chris23235
Top Contributor

Unread post by Chris23235 »

time-lord wrote: Sat Dec 18, 2021 7:15 pm ... i just tracked my "problem" down.
I use MiSTer since two years but never came across the menu defining page in the dialog for the controller config, because i usually use "L+R" or "Start+Select" for the menu and then press "Enter" on a always connected Keyboard if it says "Ok", i've never seen the pages beyond that...
I can now confirm that 8BitDo Pro 2 analog-sticks work flawless with a usb-cable or the 8BitDo usb-adapter together with the Playstation core. ^^
And it is a very good controller for the MiSTer in general and PSX core in specific as the controller has the additional Star Button which you can assign the menu while still having all PSX pad buttons.
held

Unread post by held »

held wrote: Mon Feb 28, 2022 7:38 pm Battery empty, I thought I could hook my PS5 controller up to the MiSTer and charge it. But that does not seem to be working. So what can I use, a phone charger?
Answering my own question after some trail and error, these are the controller requirements:
sony_dualsense_requirements.jpg
sony_dualsense_requirements.jpg (19.12 KiB) Viewed 15208 times
I had a 5V/2.0A phone charger laying around that does the job. The controller requires 5V/1500mA which is 1.5A. So the 2.0A was more than sufficient. The orange light starts pulsing very slowly on-off-on-off after plugging it in. And after 3 hours of charging the orange light was off and my controller was fully charged.
sony_dualsense_charging_light.jpg
sony_dualsense_charging_light.jpg (11.25 KiB) Viewed 15208 times
Comparing this to the specs of the charging station: 0.1V higher and has 0.8A more so it is able to charge 2 controllers
sony_charging_station_powerbrick_specs.jpg
sony_charging_station_powerbrick_specs.jpg (170.8 KiB) Viewed 15208 times
However the battery inside requires 3.65v/1.4A while the controller itself asks for 5V/1500mA
sony_dualsense_controller_battery.jpg
sony_dualsense_controller_battery.jpg (50.54 KiB) Viewed 15208 times
I tried to charge it through the MiSTer, but since its connected its always active indicated by the white light, so it drains just as much as it charges. Anyone know how to prevent it being on while the cable is attached?

And did anyone successfully use the Bluetooth earphone, all I get it static :lol:
darksakul

held wrote: Tue Mar 01, 2022 9:10 am
And did anyone successfully use the Bluetooth earphone, all I get it static
Bluetooth audio devices aren't supported on the MiSTer.
I suggest for headphones ether get the audio off the IO Board, HDMI Audio capture, or off the Display.
Most Smart TVs have Bluetooth audio support.
It is my great regret that we live in an age that is proud of machines that think and suspicious of people who try to.
held

Unread post by held »

darksakul wrote: Tue Mar 01, 2022 10:24 am Bluetooth audio devices aren't supported on the MiSTer.
I suggest for headphones ether get the audio off the IO Board, HDMI Audio capture, or off the Display.
I think I can only connect it to one device at a time (see the headphone jack on the controller in the post above (1st picture), the audio is transferred to the controller itself). Just to be clear is this the:
  • this will never be supported
  • this is not supported currently and we have no plans
  • we might support it in the future, but we have more important things to do first
?
darksakul

held wrote: Tue Mar 01, 2022 10:30 am
darksakul wrote: Tue Mar 01, 2022 10:24 am Bluetooth audio devices aren't supported on the MiSTer.
I think I can only connect it to one device at a time (see the headphone jack on the controller in the post above (1st picture), the audio is transferred to the controller itself). Just to be clear is this the:
  • this will never be supported
  • this is not supported currently and we have no plans
  • we might support it in the future, but we have more important things to do first
?
I got multiple game pads to connect to the MiSTer via the same Generic Bluetooth Dongle.
The only BT device that don't do multiple devices is the 8Bitdo receiver, and it acts as if it was a wired controller as far as the MiSTer is concerned.

I only assume BT Audio don't work as it's lacking in the back end/Linux Side or it's the limitations of the FPGA.
held

Unread post by held »

darksakul wrote: Tue Mar 01, 2022 11:17 pm I got multiple game pads to connect to the MiSTer via the same Generic Bluetooth Dongle.
The only BT device that don't do multiple devices is the 8Bitdo receiver, and it acts as if it was a wired controller as far as the MiSTer is concerned.

I only assume BT Audio don't work as it's lacking in the back end/Linux Side or it's the limitations of the FPGA.
Afaict its missing a package: bluealsa :D which from what I've read should be able to provide A2DP.
darksakul

held wrote: Wed Mar 02, 2022 5:18 pm
darksakul wrote: Tue Mar 01, 2022 11:17 pm I got multiple game pads to connect to the MiSTer via the same Generic Bluetooth Dongle.

Afaict its missing a package: bluealsa :D which from what I've read should be able to provide A2DP.
Well, that answers one question.
The other one is, if it's added will it work?
held

Unread post by held »

Probably needs some configuration in redirecting the sound. But I'm no expert unfortunately :(