Nightly Public Builds for the PlayStation Core

gibs

Re: Nightly Public Builds for the PlayStation Core

Unread post by gibs »

Hi,
I have downloaded and renamed MiSTer_unstable_20211219_bb91 to MiSTer
And put it in /media/fat of my SD: No boot !
Sumolx

Unread post by Sumolx »

gibs wrote: Sun Dec 19, 2021 10:11 pm Hi,
Sounds like the uploaded file was probably not copied in binary mode. What do you use to upload your file?

If you are using FileZilla I think files with no extensions default to ascii transfers which would cause these types of failures. Make sure you program defaults to binary mode instead.... should be configurable.
Akuma

Unread post by Akuma »

For anyone struggling with the rename:

1. Use this command to display all directories that should be renamed

Code: Select all

find /media/fat -maxdepth 2 -type d -name 'PlayStation' -exec rename -v -n PlayStation PSX {} \;
Result:

`/media/fat/games/PlayStation' -> `/media/fat/games/PSX'
`/media/fat/BIOS/PlayStation' -> `/media/fat/BIOS/PSX'
`/media/fat/saves/PlayStation' -> `/media/fat/saves/PSX'
`/media/fat/savestates/PlayStation' -> `/media/fat/savestates/PSX'
2. If you agree with the result of 1., then use this command to rename the actual directories

find /media/fat -maxdepth 2 -type d -name 'PlayStation' -exec rename -v PlayStation PSX {} \;
Result:

gibs

Unread post by gibs »

Sumolx wrote: Sun Dec 19, 2021 10:57 pm
gibs wrote: Sun Dec 19, 2021 10:11 pm Hi,
Sounds like the uploaded file was probably not copied in binary mode. What do you use to upload your file?

If you are using FileZilla I think files with no extensions default to ascii transfers which would cause these types of failures. Make sure you program defaults to binary mode instead.... should be configurable.
Thanks, indeed it was Filezilla, I changed to binary and it was ok :)
FeelsDuckMan

Unread post by FeelsDuckMan »

breiztiger wrote: Sun Dec 19, 2021 10:58 am update main to last unstable build
What exactly do you mean by this? I've tried running mister update and I still have this issue.

My mister version is v211214 and OS is v211112. I'm using the nightly unstable script to update the PSX core.

EDIT: Nevermind, it's here. https://github.com/MiSTer-unstable-nigh ... ble-builds
eewoke

Unread post by eewoke »

FeelsDuckMan wrote: Mon Dec 20, 2021 5:26 pm
breiztiger wrote: Sun Dec 19, 2021 10:58 am update main to last unstable build
What exactly do you mean by this? I've tried running mister update and I still have this issue.

My mister version is v211214 and OS is v211112. I'm using the nightly unstable script to update the PSX core.

EDIT: Nevermind, it's here. https://github.com/MiSTer-unstable-nigh ... ble-builds
Thanks! I see on my external sdd that the cd is loading. The screen stays black and I see switching of resolution and I get the info in the upper left corner from mister wat resolution and hz is used. On my mister which I use for output via vga I get an image. Very strange….

*update* all solved by cleaning up root.
-= MiSTer FPGA enthusiast =-
held

Unread post by held »

eewoke wrote: Fri Dec 24, 2021 4:24 pm Thanks! I see on my external sdd that the cd is loading. The screen stays black and I see switching of resolution and I get the info in the upper left corner from mister wat resolution and hz is used. On my mister which I use for output via vga I get an image. Very strange….
I cannot figure out if you have a question or not, but if you have issues just run this first: viewtopic.php?p=39332#p39332 . Also resetting your settings is always helpful
pokevania

Latest Nightly Setup Tutorial + Performance Report

Unread post by pokevania »

I believe I've done my due diligence, please pardon me if I have not. I'm hoping to make a post to consolidate the PSX core installation process for anyone wishing to try it out. Please tell me what I've misunderstood or if any of these steps are unnecessary. It's beta, but I have no sound. Is there supposed to be sound? I've done this drill twice.
Performance Results
Tested Castlevania, Silent Hill, and Resident Evil 3 on HDTV + CRT outputs;
-There's no sound ???
-Many screens are shifted ~8% to the right on CRT
-Castlevania SOTN gameplay screens out of sync
-Everything looks great on HDTV :)

Thanks for your help.
Chris23235
Top Contributor

Re: Latest Nightly Setup Tutorial + Performance Report

Unread post by Chris23235 »

pokevania wrote: Tue Jan 04, 2022 6:36 pm I believe I've done my due diligence, please pardon me if I have not. I'm hoping to make a post to consolidate the PSX core installation process for anyone wishing to try it out. Please tell me what I've misunderstood or if any of these steps are unnecessary. It's beta, but I have no sound. Is there supposed to be sound? I've done this drill twice.
Performance Results
Tested Castlevania, Silent Hill, and Resident Evil 3 on HDTV + CRT outputs;
-There's no sound ???
-Many screens are shifted ~8% to the right on CRT
-Castlevania SOTN gameplay screens out of sync
-Everything looks great on HDTV :)

Thanks for your help.
The steps you did are correct. There is no sound at the moment, because it isn't implemented yet.
held

Unread post by held »

In addition to the quick poster above :D

The core gets updated almost every day, but the DEV took a nice long deserved vacation/break. So I expect those to continue somewhere mid January.

Since the core is changing faster for bug reports to be useful, the DEV asked not to be bothered with them at this time. But you can update the spreadsheet in compatibility thread with your findings.
held

Unread post by held »

Dear moderator, this thread should be a sticky with a title like
"Beginners Guide: Nightly Public Builds for the PlayStation Core"

(The more it shifts down, the more problems I see pop up in various threads that could easily be avoided by just reading this one, go figure :D)
Captain FPGA

Unread post by Captain FPGA »

So I grabbed the latest psx rbf file and the unstable psx script. Used the script to update main to the latest unstable. I know updating main worked because when I tried the script again it said I already have the very latest.

When I boot to a game I get a blank screen. I red a post that had a similar problem and they cleaned up which resolved the issue? I'm trying to avoid reformatting a 1TB microsd card. Any solutions here would be helpful.

Where is the Unstable folder supposed to be? Mines is in media/fat. Is this correct? I had another PSX rbf from one I built a while back (by now I forgot how I did it) I think unstable went over there after I deleted that one from my console folder. Where is everything supposed to go? I'm aware that the sh file goes in Scripts that's a given. But where is everything else supposed to go?

Also, if anyone feels up to it. A video tutorial on how to get this working would be pretty dope.

Last thing:
Akuma wrote: Mon Dec 20, 2021 9:08 am For anyone struggling with the rename:

1. Use this command to display all directories that should be renamed

find /media/fat -maxdepth 2 -type d -name 'PlayStation' -exec rename -v -n PlayStation PSX {} \;
Result:

[b]`/media/fat/games/PlayStation' -> `/media/fat/games/PSX'
`/media/fat/savestates/PlayStation' -> `/media/fat/savestates/PSX'[/b]
2. If you agree with the result of 1., then use this command to rename the actual directories

find /media/fat -maxdepth 2 -type d -name 'PlayStation' -exec rename -v PlayStation PSX {} \;
Result:

I'm not great with the command line or MC for the Mister. I manually renamed/added the bolded to PSX. But it not work, what am I missing?
Dreams don't die!
Chris23235
Top Contributor

Unread post by Chris23235 »

Captain FPGA wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 8:41 am So I grabbed the latest psx rbf file and the unstable psx script. Used the script to update main to the latest unstable. I know updating main worked because when I tried the script again it said I already have the very latest.

When I boot to a game I get a blank screen. I red a post that had a similar problem and they cleaned up which resolved the issue? I'm trying to avoid reformatting a 1TB microsd card. Any solutions here would be helpful.

Where is the Unstable folder supposed to be? Mines is in media/fat. Is this correct? I had another PSX rbf from one I built a while back (by now I forgot how I did it) I think unstable went over there after I deleted that one from my console folder. Where is everything supposed to go? I'm aware that the sh file goes in Scripts that's a given. But where is everything else supposed to go?

Also, if anyone feels up to it. A video tutorial on how to get this working would be pretty dope.
The latest unstable MiSTer Main has problems with enabled shadow masks. I had this problem yesterday. Whenever I enabled a shadow mask in this unstable MiSTer Main the screen went black. Rolled back to the latest stable release 220108 and it worked again. The current PSX alpha runs fine with the latest stable MiSTer Main.

If you use the update script the folder for the unstable PSX core is created in media/fat. But as the games and the bios are located in a seperate folder you are free to move the rbf to any location you like.
Captain FPGA

Chris23235 wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 8:47 am
Captain FPGA wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 8:41 am So I grabbed the latest psx rbf file and the unstable psx script. Used the script to update main to the latest unstable. I know updating main worked because when I tried the script again it said I already have the very latest.

The latest unstable MiSTer Main has problems with enabled shadow masks. I had this problem yesterday. Whenever I enabled a shadow mask in this unstable MiSTer Main the screen went black. Rolled back to the latest stable release 220108 and it worked again. The current PSX alpha runs fine with the latest stable MiSTer Main.

If you use the update script the folder for the unstable PSX core is created in media/fat. But as the games and the bios are located in a seperate folder you are free to move the rbf to any location you like.
I rolled back to the stable Mister main however I seem to get a mostly blank screen with a box that reads E2? What now? I feel like there's something simple I am missing.

Last time I had this core working (back when I put together the rbf) I seen the PSX splash screen on core activation, I do not get that here.

EDIT: Just like everyone else in this thread when they crossed the proverbial THE SHIT IS FINALLY WORKING! finish line.

Apparently after your suggestion all I had to do was rename the PSX folder formerly known as _Unstable (which is what I named it previously) back to _Unstable. Now I got Crash Bandicoot running on my screen! The same rom that I pulled from my Playstation PSIO cart.

Question, must the _Unstable folder remain in media/fat in order for this core to work? Where _Utility, _Arcade, _Computer, etc. currently preside
Dreams don't die!
held

Unread post by held »

Captain FPGA wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 9:05 am EDIT: Just like everyone else in this thread when they crossed the proverbial THE SHIT IS FINALLY WORKING! finish line.
Why didn't you soley use the script on page #1? It seems to do everything afaict.

The only exception is that it updates the MiSTer main, if you haven't updated it in a while.
Which was preferable then, but now not so much.

@Akuma: people should run update_all before using your script
Captain FPGA

held wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 3:46 pm
Captain FPGA wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 9:05 am EDIT: Just like everyone else in this thread when they crossed the proverbial THE SHIT IS FINALLY WORKING! finish line.
Why didn't you soley use the script on page #1? It seems to do everything afaict.

The only exception is that it updates the MiSTer main, if you haven't updated it in a while.
Which was preferable then, but now not so much.

@Akuma: people should run update_all before using your script
You're saying I could've kept my original Playstation rbf and simply ran the said script to update everything there? For some reason I thought that might mess me up.

Assumed it be safer to make sure I place a current rbf in there from unstable nightlies before running that script. Clean slate as it were. Now I know that probably wasn't necessary. Aw well. *shrugs*
Dreams don't die!
held

Unread post by held »

Yeah, I think you could have :D , but then again, scripts from the internet :shock:
I think I would have made the same choice.
Akuma

Unread post by Akuma »

Updated Script: unstable-update_psx-nightlies to version 0.0.8

Its been a couple of days since the last PSX nightly, so I checked to see whats up. Everything seems to be working fine, thus I added a new date check to the script. The script will update itself on next run.

last version: Github says, last commit on Jan 25, 2022
core version: PSX_unstable_20220125_4e58.rbf

C-R-T

Unread post by C-R-T »

The link in the OP is totally outdated, please remove this sticky.

Here's the new one: https://github.com/MiSTer-unstable-nigh ... /releases/
held

Unread post by held »

C-R-T wrote: Sun Jan 30, 2022 5:42 pm The link in the OP is totally outdated, please remove this sticky.

Here's the new one: https://github.com/MiSTer-unstable-nigh ... /releases/
I agree on updating the link in the first post, but keep it a sticky. If someone is new to the PSX core, this is the place to start. All they have to do is follow this, copy their game onto the sdcard and start playing.

There are still people under the impression they have to compile the core first, which is totally unnecessary.
(I'm looking at you Back to 8-bit with Hermski ;)).
Xbytez
Site Admin

Unread post by Xbytez »

All done, link in the first post has been updated.

Thanks.
virtuali

Unread post by virtuali »

We reached a very important milestone with the latest Nightly build: CHRONO CROSS NOW WORKS!!!

It didn't until the 31st Jan build, now it's almost perfect, with its signature beautiful soundtrack.
held

Unread post by held »

virtuali wrote: Tue Feb 01, 2022 11:10 pm We reached a very important milestone with the latest Nightly build: CHRONO CROSS NOW WORKS!!!

It didn't until the 31st Jan build, now it's almost perfect, with its signature beautiful soundtrack.
This post belongs in the compatibility list :D
BlockABoots

Unread post by BlockABoots »

Is there a fix for some games and the PSX boot screen displaying in a smaller display in the centre of the screen, i guess its something to do with res or interlaced video mode on some game that switch between different screen modes???
held

Unread post by held »

Its difficult to tell with limited information, but you can stretch the video output.
Akuma

Unread post by Akuma »

Caldor wrote: Mon Feb 07, 2022 8:38 am Many PAL games use Libcrypto as copy protection and the PSX core and MiSTer mains latest updates added support for LibCrypto. Remember to update both if you want to test this, the updates were released yesterday Feb. 6th.

Besides doing the update, the folder with the CUE file for the game needs an SBI file which contains the missing parts of the CDs with the copy protection stuff. They can all be downloaded from redump.org under the download section.
Updated Script: unstable-update_psx-nightlies to version 0.09

NOTICE: Please update MAIN with: "unstable-update_main-nightlies.sh"

last version: Github says, last commit on Feb 7, 2022
core version: PSX_unstable_20220206_177562.rbf
Updated Script: unstable-update_main-nightlies to version 0.02

Please 'cold reboot' for changes to take effect
MiSTer version: MiSTer_unstable_20220205_136433
Its auto updating, so run them and enjoy the latest FPGAzumSpass goodies
xFlesk

Unread post by xFlesk »

i am very pleased to see that support for *.chd cd images is finally here ;)
unfortunately i cant get it to work, core freezes on boot. anyone tried it ?
regards

ps
i have single 128mb sdram module
TheCompany.pl - Amiga EXE Games
breiztiger
Top Contributor

Unread post by breiztiger »

no chd for now
CPC-Power Staff
pgimeno
Top Contributor

Unread post by pgimeno »

I've tried to check the CDDA in the latest core but I was unable to make it work. When I enable the multitrack option, either the CD is not detected or I get an E2 error when the region-specific CD logo screen is about to be shown. The commit message says that multitrack is necessary for CDDA.

What is Multitrack? Does it require a second SDRAM? Any special format CDs?
aberu
Core Developer

Unread post by aberu »

pgimeno wrote: Thu Feb 17, 2022 7:58 pm I've tried to check the CDDA in the latest core but I was unable to make it work. When I enable the multitrack option, either the CD is not detected or I get an E2 error when the region-specific CD logo screen is about to be shown. The commit message says that multitrack is necessary for CDDA.

What is Multitrack? Does it require a second SDRAM? Any special format CDs?
CDDA is basically redbook audio. You know when you put an audio CD into a CD player? If it had more than one audio track, it was a multi-track CD. On the PSX sometimes they had one track for CD-Audio, other times they had multiple tracks. Track 1 is always the binary data (the game data) for PSX games. Sometimes there are multiple tracks (multiple bin files when you look at the ROM), and this is why.

I think sorgelig still has to implement the multi-track loading on the Main_MiSTer binary end, and I think Robert is working on it for the core end, for it to all work.
birdybro~