Cannot get anything to work since the PSX rename

Eros

Cannot get anything to work since the PSX rename

Unread post by Eros »

Hi Everyone

Iv been following the development of this core for a while, was super excited to test things and managed to get a few games working (albeit already tested working by others)

The newest unstable nightly core (In this case 21.12.20) When i start the core, it boots gives the usual sony splash screen and loads into the memory card manager/CD player etc.

Beyond this however i cannot get any of the CD images to do anything. Usually they would boot, get up to a certain point etc... or in some cases allow me to play a game.

At this point however, all i get is... nothing. It says CD in the top corner but nothing else. Any ideas? I mean i know its unstable ;) so ill wait and see but, just wondered.

I tried removing all trace of the playstation unstable cores, games folder, save folder etc... and downloading again with the scrip. But still no luck

Thanks in advance and also thanks for all the effort on this core!
aberu
Core Developer

Re: Cannot get anything to work since the PSX rename

Unread post by aberu »

Go to the second screen in the OSD and click reset settings, and then save settings. This will reset your config. Since it's an early core, the OSD options may be moved around a lot, and the CFG file needs to be resaved after OSD options get moved around sometimes. Next rename the folder "PlayStation" that is in /media/fat/games to "PSX".
birdybro~
TLPD-AVW

Unread post by TLPD-AVW »

You need to install nightly version of Main_MiSter itself as it has multiple commits related to PS1 CD loading not yet rolled into an official release. Download the latest build from here, rename the file to "MiSTer" (no file extension) and place it in the root of your SD card, replacing the file already present. This should fix the nightly PSX core.
Eros

Unread post by Eros »

TLPD-AVW wrote: Tue Dec 21, 2021 1:26 am You need to install nightly version of Main_MiSter
Thank you! not sure why i didn't try this. Can confirm it is back in business!

@aberu, i also just did that reset of settings just in case so thank you also.
eewoke

Unread post by eewoke »

Weird…I have no image using HDMI and a perfect image using VGA out. Any ideas?
-= MiSTer FPGA enthusiast =-
Eros

Unread post by Eros »

Not totally sure but can this be the vsync option you are using in the ini settings for the Mister.

There are 3,
0 Match Display
1 Match Core
3 Low latency

I had my mister on Match core, so that basically if the core changed from say NTSC to PAL it would change the Vsync with it... as best i understand (i am no expert) This was totally fine for me, but i did notice that my recording and streaming device would quite often display that the screen resolution or settings were invalid or not compatible. In basically every core I use I could get things to work by simply selecting the main screen mode for the MiSTer as a whole to be matched to what ever core im going to use.

This was with the exception of the unstable PSX core... regardless of what i did, i could not get it to display on my capture device. After digging around, trying a few things I just thought of changing the settings above for vsync. I switched it to 0 and... boom... everything just works, perfectly. Now obviously this has the effect that if you are in a PAL core, but set the MiSTer to NTSC, the scaling etc will make it work for the 60Hz display despite it being a 50Hz source... which can introduce some stuttering etc.

For me, iv never had that problem, my monitor was always able to display things, but the capture card not. Maybe you have the opposite situation in that the VGA display you are using is totally happy with what ever you give it... but the HDMI is being a little picky?
eewoke

Unread post by eewoke »

Eros wrote: Fri Dec 24, 2021 3:13 am Not totally sure but can this be the vsync option you are using in the ini settings for the Mister.

There are 3,
0 Match Display
1 Match Core
3 Low latency

I had my mister on Match core, so that basically if the core changed from say NTSC to PAL it would change the Vsync with it... as best i understand (i am no expert) This was totally fine for me, but i did notice that my recording and streaming device would quite often display that the screen resolution or settings were invalid or not compatible. In basically every core I use I could get things to work by simply selecting the main screen mode for the MiSTer as a whole to be matched to what ever core im going to use.

This was with the exception of the unstable PSX core... regardless of what i did, i could not get it to display on my capture device. After digging around, trying a few things I just thought of changing the settings above for vsync. I switched it to 0 and... boom... everything just works, perfectly. Now obviously this has the effect that if you are in a PAL core, but set the MiSTer to NTSC, the scaling etc will make it work for the 60Hz display despite it being a 50Hz source... which can introduce some stuttering etc.

For me, iv never had that problem, my monitor was always able to display things, but the capture card not. Maybe you have the opposite situation in that the VGA display you are using is totally happy with what ever you give it... but the HDMI is being a little picky?
Thank you! Unfortunately this did not help. VSync=2 works like a charm on all cores. The older unstable worked too on my hdmi device (asus 4K gaming monitor), but the newer PSX unstable core doesn’t. So, something changed there. :shock:
-= MiSTer FPGA enthusiast =-
gibs

Unread post by gibs »

All is explained here :

viewtopic.php?f=38&t=3743

There is also a bash script that rename the folders.
C-R-T

Unread post by C-R-T »

It still doesn't work after renaming the games folder, deleting the settings file and updating the mister file. I used the file MiSTer_unstable_20211222_61a0 and renamed it to MiSTer and replaced the file that was already there in the SD card root.

What am I doing wrong?

It worked just fine before the rename.
jca
Top Contributor

Unread post by jca »

Do you have a boot.rom?
Did you ran update script after using the MISTer unstable? If yes it "destroyed" it, you have to redo the renaming.
Caldor
Top Contributor

Unread post by Caldor »

C-R-T wrote: Thu Dec 30, 2021 2:30 pm It still doesn't work after renaming the games folder, deleting the settings file and updating the mister file. I used the file MiSTer_unstable_20211222_61a0 and renamed it to MiSTer and replaced the file that was already there in the SD card root.

What am I doing wrong?

It worked just fine before the rename.
Did you then restart the MiSTer after replacing the MiSTer file? And if you have both USB and SD storage, you need to replace the MiSTer file on the storage you are booting from.