PSX Error Message E2

acephd

PSX Error Message E2

Unread post by acephd »

Hello i have installed the latest nightly build of the PSX core and the mister main file but i get E2 when i boot the core. According to the GitHub readme it says E2 is a CPU exception? not sure how to troubleshoot from here. Thanks!
FPGAzumSpass
Core Developer

Re: PSX Error Message E2

Unread post by FPGAzumSpass »

You probably don't have the bios file in the PSX folder named as boot.rom

In that case, the core executed garbage from the SDRAM where the BIOS should be and the CPU will catch some exception for sure.
acephd

Unread post by acephd »

FPGAzumSpass wrote: Mon Dec 27, 2021 5:55 pm You probably don't have the bios file in the PSX folder named as boot.rom

In that case, the core executed garbage from the SDRAM where the BIOS should be and the CPU will catch some exception for sure.
Thank you!
Bas
Top Contributor

Unread post by Bas »

Just downloaded PSX_unstable_20220123_adb1.rdf from the latest nightlies, put a BIOS file in /media/fat/BIOS/PSX/boot.rom but I'm also getting the E2. Am I putting things in the wrong place? Is there a specific BIOS version that must be used?
jca
Top Contributor

Unread post by jca »

/media/fat/PSX/boot.rom

Edit:
/media/fat/games/PSX/boot.rom
H3ML5XLAXBKU

Unread post by H3ML5XLAXBKU »

Adding in that I too have the E2 error, and I haven't been able to resolve it after spending the afternoon looking into it.

I downloaded the PSX_unstable_20220123_adb1.rdf and I am using the latest version of MiSTer main(v220108, OS v211112), as I believe that the PSX fixes from the unstable branch have been merged in after looking at the commit history and seeing this post:
pcfreak324 wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 8:53 am
shaitan wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 2:43 am Does this still require a one-off new Main or has all that been rolled into the current release?
I use the current Main from the official repository and it works.
I have a boom.rom boot.rom from a scph1001.bin bios file with an MD5 of 924e392ed05558ffdb115408c263dccf. I placed this renamed file in both /media/fat/BIOS/PSX/, and /media/fat/games/PSX/ directories, as well as /media/fat/PSX/ ( as suggested by jca). I continue to get the E2 message when loading the core. I even tried different combinations of putting the file in these locations, no luck.

I have also tried using PSX_unstable_20220122_8f69.rbf, but that gave me the same result. I believe both of the mentioned rbfs are 1 SDRAM builds, is that wrong?

All files were transferred by putting the SD card in my Mac, no FTP was used.

If someone could let me know if I have missed something obvious, please let me know. Otherwise I'll park this until it becomes an official core.

Love the work FPGAzumSpass, keen to try the core out one day.
pgimeno
Top Contributor

Unread post by pgimeno »

H3ML5XLAXBKU wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 7:16 am I have a boom.rom from a scph1001.bin bios file
Is that really the name you've used? It should be boot.rom
jca
Top Contributor

Unread post by jca »

H3ML5XLAXBKU wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 7:16 am I have a boom.rom from a scph1001.bin bios file with an MD5 of 924e392ed05558ffdb115408c263dccf. I placed this renamed file in both /media/fat/BIOS/PSX/, and /media/fat/games/PSX/ directories, as well as /media/fat/PSX/ ( as suggested by jca).
My mistake, I should have said:
/media/fat/games/PSX
H3ML5XLAXBKU

pgimeno wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 10:40 am
H3ML5XLAXBKU wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 7:16 am I have a boom.rom from a scph1001.bin bios file
Is that really the name you've used? It should be boot.rom
Good catch. I actually used boot.rom as the file name and just mistyped it in my post. I should have read my post a little better before posting it.
pgimeno
Top Contributor

Unread post by pgimeno »

H3ML5XLAXBKU wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 12:13 pm Good catch. I actually used boot.rom as the file name and just mistyped it in my post. I should have read my post a little better before posting it.
No problem, I imagined that could be the case but it was worth a shot.

Depending on how you access the card, it could also be /games/PSX. Note that /media/fat is a system folder and you shouldn't need to create it. If you created it, then it's in the wrong place.

EDIT: I missed this part:
H3ML5XLAXBKU wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 7:16 am All files were transferred by putting the SD card in my Mac, no FTP was used.
Yeah, then it should be in /games/PSX. The /media/fat folder is the point where the MiSTer's Linux mounts the SD card.
H3ML5XLAXBKU

OK, I figured out what was wrong, it was the file name.
I understood that /media/fat/ was implicit, and was just using it to be consistent with other posts. I decided I would run tree in the command line to display the files in the directory and noticed something unexpected with the output.

Code: Select all

├── BIOS
│   ├── PSX
│   │   └── boot.rom.BIN
As I mentioned, the filename in the finder was showing as boot.rom, so I guess I have extensions hidden or something.

Anyway I was able to resolve this by renaming the file through the command line.

Code: Select all

mv boot.rom.BIN boot.rom
Thank you to everyone for your help and patience.

Edit:
Yeah looking at the GetInfo shows the extension as hidden. I have a bios pack and this option is only set as true on the file I renamed, so that's what threw me off.
Screen Shot 2022-01-25 at 9.04.28 am.png
Screen Shot 2022-01-25 at 9.04.28 am.png (109.23 KiB) Viewed 21251 times
wigginjs

Unread post by wigginjs »

Hi,

I'm also facing this same issue (E2 error) after trying several recent nightly PSX core builds from this GitHub repo: https://github.com/MiSTer-unstable-nigh ... /releases/.

I just ran the update_all.sh script again and I have verified that I've placed a boot.rom file that matches @H3ML5XLAXBKU's in /media/fat/BIOS/PSX and /media/fat/games/PSX.

I've also verified that it wasn't somehow accidentally renamed by looking at the file through SSH. Any idea why I am experiencing this?
aberu
Core Developer

Unread post by aberu »

wigginjs wrote: Thu Feb 17, 2022 9:16 pm Hi,

I'm also facing this same issue (E2 error) after trying several recent nightly PSX core builds from this GitHub repo: https://github.com/MiSTer-unstable-nigh ... /releases/.

I just ran the update_all.sh script again and I have verified that I've placed a boot.rom file that matches @H3ML5XLAXBKU's in /media/fat/BIOS/PSX and /media/fat/games/PSX.

I've also verified that it wasn't somehow accidentally renamed by looking at the file through SSH. Any idea why I am experiencing this?
1. Make sure your MiSTer file in /media/fat/ is up to date.
2. If you are using external usb storage or a CIFS mount, unmount or remove that storage and try again.
birdybro~
wigginjs

Unread post by wigginjs »

Ok, turns out that if you are storing your games on a USB drive (like me), you should put boot.rom in /media/usb0/PSX/. This resolved it!