Anyone else getting funky results with black backgrounds on a consumer grade CRT?

Waifu4Life

Anyone else getting funky results with black backgrounds on a consumer grade CRT?

Unread post by Waifu4Life »

Everytime there's a black background (Castlevania Chronicles for example), the picture is always moving in waves from up to down. 20" consumer grade CRT TV with YPbPr connection.
caad

Re: Anyone else getting funky results with black backgrounds on a consumer grade CRT?

Unread post by caad »

Must be something wrong with your setup. Perhaps the YPbPr conversion.
Waifu4Life

Re: Anyone else getting funky results with black backgrounds on a consumer grade CRT?

caad wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 6:42 pm Must be something wrong with your setup. Perhaps the YPbPr conversion.
Everything works perfectly with the other cores I play: SNES/SFC, NES/Famicom, Genesis/Mega Drive, SEGA CD/Mega CD, PC-Engine/PC-Engine CD, GameBoy/GameBoy Color, GBA, GameGear/SMS, WonderSwan. Only PSX gives me this issue:

Shogun

Unread post by Shogun »

That looks like some sort of sync issue. I'd do a run down through your ini and check if theres any settings that help. Might have to mess around with custom modelines. Different tv sets have different quirks like this with the timings.
Waifu4Life

Shogun wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 7:50 pm That looks like some sort of sync issue. I'd do a run down through your ini and check if theres any settings that help. Might have to mess around with custom modelines. Different tv sets have different quirks like this with the timings.
Sync issue with a single core?
FPGAzumSpass
Core Developer

Unread post by FPGAzumSpass »

The video timings are known to be off at least for NTSC, but probably also slightly for PAL.
So yes, this single core has issues.

You can work around with tweaks or wait until it's fixed.
Waifu4Life

FPGAzumSpass wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 5:56 am The video timings are known to be off at least for NTSC, but probably also slightly for PAL.
So yes, this single core has issues.

You can work around with tweaks or wait until it's fixed.
OK, so the core itself is the issue, good to know, guess I'll wait for it to be fixed.

Cheers
fenderc01

Unread post by fenderc01 »

I've found by adding this to the MiSTer.ini file, that analog video works much better, at least until there is proper support for the analog IO board:

Code: Select all

[PSX]
vga_scaler=1
video_mode=1280,95,140,187,240,11,0,19,27543
This will change your scaler resolution to 1280x240 and output it through your analog output. HDMI probably won't work while you are using this setting. Also, make sure to change the Aspect Ratio from Original to Full Screen and the Scale to V-Integer in the Video & Audio menu. Play around with different settings that work for your situation, but this seemed to work the best for me.

The reason for using 1280 for the width is is evenly scales 320x240 and 256x240, both common resolutions. Other resolutions won't scale as nicely, but I haven't had much time to mess with it.
aberu
Core Developer

Unread post by aberu »

https://psx-spx.consoledev.net/pinouts/ ... d-optional

I don't believe the two different Master clocks are implemented yet, so you playing on a PAL CRT will probably have even more influence.

EDIT: Strike that, it is using the PAL master clock correctly and the NTSC clock is just slightly off, which isn't a big deal at all, and Robert said he'd fix that eventually.
birdybro~
JonnyTenebrous

Unread post by JonnyTenebrous »

I installed the Unstable PSX nightly for the first time last night (release 05Feb22). My MiSTer has a Digital IO board and is normally connected to my 1998 Sony Trinitron consumer-grade TV with RGB SCART via DAC/adapter using MiSTer "Direct Video". Like the original poster, it is a PAL region TV, but also supports NTSC and PAL60. Unfortunately, analog support from PSX_unstable is not working on my TV yet. I get glimmers of temporary sync... enough to see the BIOS in the background for maybe 1 second out of every 5. I tried several workarounds posted here on the forums, and none of them resolved my sync issue. There's so much development happening on this core, that I know it's only a matter of time.... but I'm SO excited for this core to reach a stage of full analog support. In the interim, I've connected my setup to my 1440p monitor and it's working beautifully there, and at least it gives me an opportunity to try out the new scanline filters.
akeley
Top Contributor

Unread post by akeley »

Odd, I have the some setup and it works fine. The image is shifted to the right somewhat but that's a known issue. Could be your set is too sensitive to current frequency...
JonnyTenebrous

Unread post by JonnyTenebrous »

akeley wrote: Sun Feb 06, 2022 1:23 pm Odd, I have the some setup and it works fine. The image is shifted to the right somewhat but that's a known issue. Could be your set is too sensitive to current frequency...
That could well be the case. The little hdmi-to-vga adapter dongle I got around 2 years ago (same exact one recommended by Sorgelig at the time), seems to be a cheap, poorly-assembled, and finicky little device, so that could also be part of the issue. I've got to have the vga-to-scart cable fitted into it physically "just so" or else sync issues can occur on any core. That being said, everything has "just worked" over the last year on stable cores. I haven't done any recent research to see if any our talented MiSTer component makers have created a higher-quality dedicated DAC for Direct Video purposes, or if there are better options on the open market these days,

Edit: Updated my Direct Video DAC today to a Tripp-Lite Model P131-06N model today, as recommended by other users on the forum. While I do not experience as much scrolling in the PSX unstable builds as my earlier model... it still scrolls... only, less. Still unplayable, of course. But, hopefully an improvement for other cores.