No Dual Shock Rumble with 8bitdo Pro Wired?

Jegriva

No Dual Shock Rumble with 8bitdo Pro Wired?

Unread post by Jegriva »

I know it's a widely used joypad, but has anybody else had trouble with rumble with the 8BitDo Pro Wired?

With the Alpha releases it was a matter of hit & miss, some releases worked, some other didn't.
But with the latest official I can't get it to rumble. :?:
Vokgear

Re: No Dual Shock Rumble with 8bitdo Pro Wired?

Unread post by Vokgear »

I had the same issue when I had switched the controller to "D" on the backside (S-A-D-X), but after switching it to "X" the rumble works fine with my 8bitdo pro. My MiSTer was updated last sunday.
Krypto

Unread post by Krypto »

The wired version of the controller doesn't have that switch.

What's the best way to test the rumble feature in MiSTer? The input test program doesn't seem to have any way to initiate rumble.
rhester72
Top Contributor

Unread post by rhester72 »

Run the Ultimate tool (on Windows) and crank the vibration all the way up to 5 bars. It's still VERY weak, but improved over default.
Jegriva

Unread post by Jegriva »

Solved it: I forgot I have to press Y when connecting the joypad, and not B.
Jegriva

Unread post by Jegriva »

Krypto wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 6:25 pm The wired version of the controller doesn't have that switch.

What's the best way to test the rumble feature in MiSTer? The input test program doesn't seem to have any way to initiate rumble.
Metal Gear Solid in the option offers to test each motor.
Krypto

Unread post by Krypto »

Yes, it's working!!!

Pressing "Y" not "B" when connecting the 8bitdo Pro wired joypad is the key! The rumble feature is verified working in Metal Gear Solid in the Options section. That's a good way of checking.

Thanks!
rhester72
Top Contributor

Krypto wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 2:11 am Pressing "Y" not "B" when connecting the 8bitdo Pro wired joypad is the key! The rumble feature is verified working in Metal Gear Solid in the Options section. That's a good way of checking.
Is yours doing what mine is on that test and vibrating once but not continuously? That's not right.
Krypto

Unread post by Krypto »

rhester72 wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 11:54 am
Krypto wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 2:11 am Pressing "Y" not "B" when connecting the 8bitdo Pro wired joypad is the key! The rumble feature is verified working in Metal Gear Solid in the Options section. That's a good way of checking.
Is yours doing what mine is on that test and vibrating once but not continuously? That's not right.
Yes, it vibrates once in either high or low setting each time you select the action from the menu.
rhester72
Top Contributor

Krypto wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 12:05 pm
rhester72 wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 11:54 am
Yes, it vibrates once in either high or low setting each time you select the action from the menu.
OK...the real thing (PS3 DualShock, for example) vibrates constantly as it should. As a result, titles like Gran Turismo feel 'off' to me with the pulsing motors on the 8bitdo.
Krypto

Unread post by Krypto »

I tried a 8BitDo SN30pro wired controller in Metal Gear Solid, Option / Vibration Test section and that controller vibrates continuously for as long as the weak or strong setting is selected. So that controller works perfectly!

Back to the 8bitdo Pro wired, Ultimate Software reported a firmware update (v1.03 beta7) for that controller and that firmware was installed and a few changes were noticed immediately. In the Linux desktop (and the MiSTer), it is no longer required to hold the "B" or "Y" button down when plugging in the controller for it to correctly initialize. Even the funky palm buttons were recognized so that's a plus! On the downside, rumble doesn't work at all in Linux or the MiSTer even with the Y button hack. Before, rumble tested correctly in Linux with fftest but now it reports "Function not implemented".

So it's two steps forward, one back. I wish I could get my fake DualShock3 to work reliably via the USB connection. I hate wireless controllers...
Caldor
Top Contributor

Unread post by Caldor »

I noticed my SN30+ rumbling once in one game when I last tested it. So I guess increasing the rumble effect might help. But I had much more luck with a PS4 controller connected with a micro USB cable to the MiSTer.
neogeo81

Unread post by neogeo81 »

Dualsense works great too. 8BitDo SN30 Pro do not saddly. I will try my Pro2 later today.
Jegriva

Unread post by Jegriva »

I tested the rumble also with Colony War Vengeance: when using the afterburner, the Dual Shock vibrates both rumbles. The Pro 2 Wired seemed to work as intended there.