Running Apollo Core

cinar

Running Apollo Core

Unread post by cinar »

Hello. I know it's said before. I am still trying ways to boot from SD on MiSTer flashed with Apollo Core. It was risky but I have flashed the jic to the DE10 Nano. It only gives black screen as ofc there is no IDE controller. Right now I am trying to push the sagasd.device into a custom rom (custom scsi.device does well). I have compiled custom roms tons of times before but never dealt with BBS hunked ones. Can anyone remove BBS hunk from the sagasd.device on the Vampire SD boot image available in the Github? You can easily install WB31 with PFS3 ready to boot on SD on WinUAE. Thank you.
lordoftime79

Re: Running Apollo Core

Unread post by lordoftime79 »

Am I understanding you are trying to use your Mister as a Vampire?
Caldor

Unread post by Caldor »

Not sure you are going to get much out of trying this. FPGA cores have to be designed for the specific chipset. Does the DE10-Nano even support that core? Getting it onto the DE10 is one thing, but getting it to run is another. On the DE10-Nano there are certain connections for display and such. The core needs to know this, or you wont f.ex. be able to get the display up. Or keyboard input.

Also on the DE10-Nano all of the MiSTer stuff, the cores are designed to interact with the Main core that runs the menus and helps with certain parts of it all. Overall things like certain display types.

I am no expert and some of this is just based on assumptions and speculation based on what I have seen on the forum so far and answers I have gotten when I asked about some of these things. Another thing is that the FPGA Apollo uses, is faster than the DE10-Nano... pretty sure it is anyway. Also does the DE10-Nano even have enough logic to store the full Apollo core?

But what it comes down to, is that if this has to have a chance of working, it has to be reimplemented on a pretty deep level to be able to work with the DE10-Nano. And I suspect Apollo would not like if something like that was done, at least not if it was made public. Doing this as one person, unless you are really experienced with coding FPGA cores, I do not think this is a one person project.
lordoftime79

Its not gonna work - the Vampire4sa is closed source why would you think you can flash a Vampire jic to the DE10 nano and have it work? Stupid.
guibrush

Unread post by guibrush »

Flashing the V4 core on a Mister is like dumping a Golf motor in the trunk of a Clio and expect it to make the car move. It’s not possible without big adaptation work. And when I mean big, I mean like month of work.
Hackshed_Carl

Unread post by Hackshed_Carl »

lordoftime79 wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 12:45 pm Its not gonna work - the Vampire4sa is closed source why would you think you can flash a Vampire jic to the DE10 nano and have it work? Stupid.
I don't think it's fair to start throwing insults around.
Let's not call people names for misunderstanding the platform.

Like the great William and Theodore said, "Be excellent to each other"
lordoftime79

Im not saying it to be insulting, i am saying it because its true... to think this would work shows a fundamental lack of understanding of FPGA tech.
throAU

Unread post by throAU »

lordoftime79 wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 9:37 pm Im not saying it to be insulting, i am saying it because its true... to think this would work shows a fundamental lack of understanding of FPGA tech.
Not everybody here will have a fundamental, or necessarily ANY understanding of FPGA tech.

You can educate others in a positive manner or a negative one. Try to be positive.