Operating Systems

voltigene

Operating Systems

Unread post by voltigene »

Hello everyone,

I was wondering... which os do you use with Mister? Amigaos 4.1? 3.9? Or the new 3.1.4?
(I am considering buying the Mister... :roll: )
bbond007
Top Contributor

Re: Operating Systems

Unread post by bbond007 »

3.9 or the new 3.1.4 will work fine.

4.1 needs a PPC CPU based system and is not compatible with MiSTer...
voltigene

bbond007 wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2020 9:08 pm 3.9 or the new 3.1.4 will work fine.

4.1 needs a PPC CPU based system and is not compatible with MiSTer...
Ooops, you're right, thank you!
I've read about Aros too, the default choice on Vampire V4... have you tried it?
kathleen
Top Contributor

Unread post by kathleen »

voltigene wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2020 8:46 pm Hello everyone,

I was wondering... which os do you use with Mister? Amigaos 4.1? 3.9? Or the new 3.1.4?
(I am considering buying the Mister... :roll: )
Hello @voltigene,
From my point of view, the OS choice is really depending of what you want to do with your Mister (Amiga core in this case). It it is to play only with A500 games, the Kick 1.3 and the early WB are enough, even the better choice for compatibility reasons, if you target high end Amiga, I mean A1200 with AGA and with a nice WB then the 3.1, the 3.1.4 (both customized for instance) or the 3.9 make all sense, and all 3 solutions work fine of course.
Aros for me is not an option for the Mister I do not say it won't work, I do not know as I never tried it on the mister but I've a doubt the current core can digest it, anyway; I see Aros as an OS more for (fast) PC and ok, also for the vampire which has a 68080 "simulated processor" which is quite fast (like a 68060 running at about 100mhz + RTG)
Last but not the least, I prefer to use the OS that I knew when the Amiga was still alive (this is why I find the Mister amazing) versus the new OS which try to be "compatible"
You have my thoughts :-)

かすりん

voltigene

kathleen wrote: Wed Sep 23, 2020 4:38 am
Hello @voltigene,
From my point of view, the OS choice is really depending of what you want to do with your Mister (Amiga core in this case). It it is to play only with A500 games, the Kick 1.3 and the early WB are enough, even the better choice for compatibility reasons, if you target high end Amiga, I mean A1200 with AGA and with a nice WB then the 3.1, the 3.1.4 (both customized for instance) or the 3.9 make all sense, and all 3 solutions work fine of course.
Aros for me is not an option for the Mister I do not say it won't work, I do not know as I never tried it on the mister but I've a doubt the current core can digest it, anyway; I see Aros as an OS more for (fast) PC and ok, also for the vampire which has a 68080 "simulated processor" which is quite fast (like a 68060 running at about 100mhz + RTG)
Last but not the least, I prefer to use the OS that I knew when the Amiga was still alive (this is why I find the Mister amazing) versus the new OS which try to be "compatible"
You have my thoughts :-)
Thank you for your answer kathleen!
I think that I would love to use a "modern" Amiga to write (I'm something like a wanna-be-writer) and maybe to do (basic) email, read news (even on a text browser) and Wikipedia. And play games, of course. I don't know if is it possibile with Mister. I understand your point of view about Os, and I'll think I'll go with the 3.1.4.
kathleen
Top Contributor

Unread post by kathleen »

Your're welcome.
With the Mister you can do everything you'd love to use. But (there is always a but :-)) forget the web browser, you'll complicate your life for at the end realize that only few websites are accessible, I'm not expert at all in this domain I cannot give you more details but for me the web browsing on the Amiga classic is a no go. Unless I'm completely wrong or not aware of a new way to proceed with classic, If you want to go on the web under an Amiga OS, and do not use an emulator like winuae etc, the best would be the Tabor A1222 (god luck to find it however) or use Morph OS on an old mini mac (PPC model) for instance. For the rest, games or productivity applications, the Mister is a dream but keep in mind that it is a (fantastic, thanks to the developers who work hard on the cores) modern hardware for old school programs

かすりん

kolla

Unread post by kolla »

Amiga web browsers work fine as long as you stay with “retro friendly” (html 3.2/4 pure) websites. It helps to use a proxy running on the linux side.

Also, AROS works (if you’re willing to jump some hoops), but it’s more for tinkering than gaming.
voltigene

Thank you @kathleen and @kolla!

Surely I do not intend to use Mister to surf the web like the way I would with my personal computer but maybe I'll try with some "retro frienly website" and I'll look for an Amiga email client.

By the way: I've just bought the AmigaOs 3.1.4: I'll install it on my FS-UAE during the next days just to have my first "contact" with it.

Thank you again :-)
Michael1260

Unread post by Michael1260 »

Don't forget BestWB with 3.1.4 : http://lilliput.amiga-projects.net/BestWB.htm
Michael1260

and if you need a TCIP / IP stack, you can use Roadshow (http://roadshow.apc-tcp.de/index-en.php) with this uartmode.zip package for a better speed : viewtopic.php?f=4&t=82&p=10852&hilit=network#p10852.
Solskogen

Unread post by Solskogen »

I would recommend you checkout BestWB as well! It's a addon for 3.1.4.
voltigene

Michael1260 wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 1:18 am and if you need...
Solskogen wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 6:14 am I would recommend...
Thanks a lot for your help! ^_^
Michael1260

Michael1260 wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 1:18 am
Thanks a lot for your help! ^_^
You're welcome :)