Running 68k AROS on MiSTer?

cursedverses

Running 68k AROS on MiSTer?

Unread post by cursedverses »

Has anyone been able to get the AROS ROM running on MiSTer, given the ROM is larger than any kickstart.

Searching online there was work done for the original Mist to support larger ROMs (like the extension ROM option in WinUAE I guess) but I've drawn a blank since.
R4M

Re: Running 68k AROS on MiSTer?

Unread post by R4M »

Minimig has support for 1M Kickstarts. If you select a file of size 1M, the first half will be loaded to $e00000 and the second to $f80000.
douglasamcintosh

Unread post by douglasamcintosh »

I was looking at trying this recently but could not even get it to run in WinUAE. I thought the m68k backport was designed to run with the normal Kickstart. Did I misread?
R4M

Unread post by R4M »

You find everything there is to know about Kickstart size support in the file

https://github.com/MiSTer-devel/Main_Mi ... config.cpp

and function UploadKickstart.
chaos

Unread post by chaos »

AROS ROM should work on minimig, at least for floppy images. What probably doesn't work is HDD support - there are some issues with IDE implementation, or maybe just AROS incompatibility. Will be fixed sometime.
cursedverses

Unread post by cursedverses »

R4M wrote: Thu Nov 05, 2020 6:55 pm Minimig has support for 1M Kickstarts. If you select a file of size 1M, the first half will be loaded to $e00000 and the second to $f80000.
R4M wrote: Sat Nov 07, 2020 6:14 pm You find everything there is to know about Kickstart size support in the file

https://github.com/MiSTer-devel/Main_Mi ... config.cpp

and function UploadKickstart.
Thanks for this! :idea:

So it wasn't working for me because I was concatenating aros-bin.rom and aros-ext.rom with copy /b aros-bin.rom+aros-ext.rom, leading to the bin.rom being loaded to $e0 and the ext.rom being loaded to $f8 (the wrong way around). Looking at the code, the main rom should load to $f8 by default, so I was loading the ROMs the wrong way around.

One

Code: Select all

copy /B aros-ext.rom+aros-bin.rom kick.rom
and I got an AROS boot screen!