Minimig Core. ADF non standard or Extended, issues with images

ron

Minimig Core. ADF non standard or Extended, issues with images

Unread post by ron »

Hi there. The current state of core Miniming in MiST and MiSTer is amazing. Thanks for this great work.

If you're using PC, ST, Mac or other computer emulators with specific formats the core sometimes showns error 22. But in most cases the inserted ADF does nothing. I think that's due to the lack of support. I may be totally wrong, that's because I'm asking about.

So, since the primitive versions in MiST, this behavior has been happening and I do not know if it is because the Minimig core does not have the extended ADF format implemented or is not capable of reading non-standard formats.

Is there someone else who has the same problem? , I understand that in original Minimig it does work.

Thanks, cheers.
kathleen
Top Contributor

Re: Minimig Core. ADF non standard or Extended, issues with images

Unread post by kathleen »

Hi Ron,
I had the need of using an E-ADF for the game Eliminator (Amiga) where the normal ADF worked but while trying to save the score I faced to the [error 22] problem.
The E-ADF worked on Winuae but it has never been recognized by the minimig core. So if I understand well your point, same problem here.
I'm curious, which kind of game/apps don't work on your side ? It happen also that by using the Kickstart 1.1/1.2/1.3, many disks do not start while with later Kickstarts they do like on real Amiga, but this is another story.

かすりん

Sorgelig
Site Admin

Unread post by Sorgelig »

not sure about earlier but at least Kickstart 1.3 works fine in Minimig.

As for ADF, the support code is on HPS side and i'm sure can be extended if someone will know what need to add there. As always, it's opensouce and everyone is welcome to improve it.
kathleen
Top Contributor

Unread post by kathleen »

Sorgelig wrote: Fri Nov 06, 2020 6:55 am not sure about earlier but at least Kickstart 1.3 works fine in Minimig.
Absolutely, every Kickstart work fine form 1.0 to 3.1.4. Just wanted to say, knowing that this is a normal behavior, that some disks which were made for later KS than the 1.3 don't boot, like if the disk was not recognized but this is not an issue at all with the core, it is how it works on real Amiga.

かすりん

ron

Unread post by ron »

Hi. Thanks for the reply.
I am just confirming if the same thing happens to the rest of the users as to me with the non-standard ADFs.

kathleen is right, that kind of ADF don't work with any kickstart. The known [error 22] or just simply nothing. It is a curiosity that I have known for a long time but that it had never occurred to me to ask.

Regards
Sorgelig
Site Admin

Unread post by Sorgelig »

Minimig currently supports only standard 800KB ADFs.
R4M

Unread post by R4M »

Minimig only supports ADF, which only includes the payload data, not the MFM coding or sector header data. So everything non-standard is bound to fail.