Newbie - Amiga - RTG

uniquefreak

Newbie - Amiga - RTG

Unread post by uniquefreak »

Evening All,

Very close to investing in a MiSTer (likely to end up in a CheckMate Mini ITX Case in place of the previously planned PI4. Love the fact it has multiple Cores, but the main one I'd buy it for would be Amiga (for games and AMOS PRO development).

I have an A600 with Vampire and love the RTG to my portable 15" LCD display. I see RTG has recently been added to the latest Core.

Please can you advise if there's anything I should expect, differently to the A600 RTG VAMP experience (other than Speed and Ram etc) and Also, I see there's lots of add on boards for the MiSter. Please could someone recommend a good medium to top end build? Don't mind spending the wedge, but would like the 'bells and whistles' if I do punt :)

Thanks in advance,

Ady.
kfreiberg

Re: Newbie - Amiga - RTG

Unread post by kfreiberg »

This is a very subjective question, as the MiSTer build that suits you best depends on what you're going to use it for.

For myself, I am mostly interested in the console and arcade cores, and at this point, don't have much interest in the computer cores, like Amiga.

From what I've seen online however, people mostly seem to want this build, which will let you run most of what MiSTer can do:

DE10-Nano
https://misteraddons.com/products/terasic-de10-nano

USB Hub
https://misteraddons.com/products/usb-hub-v2-1

128MB Expansion RAM
https://misteraddons.com/products/sdram-xsd-2-5-128mb

Standard IO Board
https://misteraddons.com/products/io-bo ... h-heatsink

Micro SD Card - You can get these anywhere, but below is the one I got for the MiSTer
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0758NHWS8/

Maybe someone that uses the MiSTer for computer cores or specifically the Amiga can help you further.

Have Fun!
kathleen
Top Contributor

Unread post by kathleen »

uniquefreak wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 6:17 pm
Please can you advise if there's anything I should expect, differently to the A600 RTG VAMP experience (other than Speed and Ram etc)

Thanks in advance,

Ady.
I also own both a Vampire (not in an A600 but in an A2000) and the Mister.
As kfreiberg says very well, it is quite a subjective question and I'd say there is neither good nor bad answer to it.

So, I'll give my thoughts about this being sure that some people will agree and some not. As I'm more interested by using the Amiga / Emulators / Simulator to do what I did back in the day, I realized that the Vampire is quite useless for me. There is a while that my Mister took place instead of my A2000+Vampire for 100 of reasons. regarding the RTG on the Mister it will permit you to work in a descent resolution on your screen mainly for workbench applications, do not think to run RTG demos where most of the ask to have a much bigger processor, FPU etc, thing which is possible with the Vampire. Same for the RTG games (not that much are existing), do not buy the mister to run them while on the Vampire it works or should work. But again for me it is out of interest, If I want to play Diabolo, Doom, Heretic etc, or even watch 3D demos, I do it either on PC for recent productions or via the amazing AO486 which makes more sense if you stick to the 80-90 productions.
So in few words: RTG for Minimig (Mister) is a very nice add-on that I do use for what it is and it is more than what I was expecting. The rest I do it in AGA/ECS/OCS on my Mister as well.
Hope this will help you.
Cheers.
Kathleen.

かすりん

uniquefreak

Thank you both! Really appreciate it. Just got some feedback on our Amiga group to read and there's a strong chance I'll punt for one! Those upgrades add up! lol, but I don't mind and appreciate the advice :)
uniquefreak

Do you mind if I ask how well 3.9 runs as that's my fav OS with RTG. Basically is it smooth or a little too much for the hardware/lag etc? Will be running Amos, Octamed, Storm C etc. But also lots of old games (which I know the Vamp has issues with in terms of compatibility).
mahen

Unread post by mahen »

Sorry if it was asked already. My scanlines don't play well with RTG modes unfortunately. Is it possible to have a distinct filter for AGA and RTG modes ? Or at least disable it for RTG modes ?
limi
Top Contributor

Unread post by limi »

Scanlines should really be disabled (just like aspect ratio) when you opt into an RTG mode. File a bug? :)