Secondary master and slave HDD's not recognised

77slevin

Secondary master and slave HDD's not recognised

Unread post by 77slevin »

Hi, I'm new to the MISTer, but not to the Amiga and various forms of emulation (WinUAE, FS-UAE). I created 3 hard disk files with WinUAE and made sure that they didn't exceed 4GB (FAT32 issue) DH0 is Workbench 3.4.1, DH1 is WORK and DH2 is WORK2. I can boot from DH0 and DH1 is perfectly usable, but DH2 (secondary channel) does not show up whatever I do. Does anybody have any idea what the issue might be? Only difference I can think of is DH2 is filled with WHDLoad games, not to the brim, but pretty good filled.
-={Got sucked into the MISTer blackhole, held out long time, but lost the battle}=-
77slevin

Re: Secondary master and slave HDD's not recognised

Found the solution on my own. For whomever in the same situation: I'm so used to things just working in emulation I forgot that this is expected behavior on a real Amiga too. You need IDEfix97 from Aminet and install it on your Workbench to recognize both IDE channels. After install (and registration) things just worked. Hurray!
-={Got sucked into the MISTer blackhole, held out long time, but lost the battle}=-
bbond007
Top Contributor

Unread post by bbond007 »

if you have 3.1.4 (or 3.5 or 3.9 I assume) you can also use --> https://aminet.net/package/driver/media/AtapiMagic

I found it more reliable than IDEFix which frequently caused workbench to become unresponsive. Maybe that is fixed now...

I followed this guide to build my own custom 3.1.4 kernel ROM so I don't need anything installed or modified in my VHD to use 4 drives...

--> http://www.mfilos.com/2010/12/guide-cre ... start.html

Also see this older thread --> viewtopic.php?p=3247#p3247
77slevin

Ha, thanks for the information! Didn't know about AtapiMagic. Adding this to my Amiga software toolbox. I still have a backup of my HDF's pre-IDEfix install, so I can compare when using AtapiMagic.