Game saves do not work with Minimig using an external USB HDD

amerika

Game saves do not work with Minimig using an external USB HDD

Unread post by amerika »

A few months ago I reported this bug and due to a lot of interest in people setting up external USB HDD's with their Mister, I wanted to make sure people knew of this issue since not everyone checks Github issues per core and they will run into this most likely.

https://github.com/MiSTer-devel/Minimig ... /issues/53

The quick version is, if you keep your Minimig game files on an external drive, you will have issues in any game that allows you to save. The short term workaround is to run the minimig core off of the SD card and run your other cores off of the external. Or don't play any games that requires saving.
KnC

Re: Game saves do not work with Minimig using an external USB HDD

Unread post by KnC »

I used minimig on external hdd for quite some time and did not come across this issue i moved amiga to my pc and use cifs now and it still saves and loads games fine on cifs
So i thought maybe it was something that has happened in updates so i set up a usb mem stick as usb0 and it saves and loads fine on latest updates
and then used a WD 5TB black gaming hdd and it also works fine on usb0 for saves and loads all tested with beneath the steel sky and money island 2 that was mentioned on the git hub issue. and of course this was all using megaAGS
I wonder if the hdd is going into sleep mode since with WHDload it uses preload and all the data is in memory so no longer uses hdd while running
have you tried to save a game as soon as it loads
JWDog

Re: Game saves do not work with Minimig using an external USB HDD

Unread post by JWDog »

Any suggestions or recommendations on which external hdd will work best for use with the minimig or other similar cores? From most posts i have seen it should be powered at least. Is there also, a recommended format and procedure? Sorry noobie here.