AmigaOS 3.2

verm71

Re: AmigaOS 3.2

Unread post by verm71 »

After watching a few youtube videos and comparing what I might have done wrong, I think I've learned that I shouldn't mount and format the HDF file within WinUAE, but let HDToolBox to the job. I've now been successful a few times repeatedly! :) #LessonsLearned
zoopster

Unread post by zoopster »

Any recommendations on creating the initial HDF / VHD image for a bare metal install?
FPGA64
Top Contributor

Unread post by FPGA64 »

Caldor
Top Contributor

Unread post by Caldor »

zoopster wrote: Wed Jul 07, 2021 5:28 pm Any recommendations on creating the initial HDF / VHD image for a bare metal install?
There are some recommendations on the notes on the Git for Minimig on how to create a HDF image.

Can Minimig also use VHD?

https://github.com/MiSTer-devel/Minimig-AGA_MiSTer

There is also some instructions on how to install mouse wheel support, Akiko C2P support, RTG, the shared folder and such.

I have gotten it all to work on a clean AmigaOS 3.2 install done on the MiSTer. Its running in 800x600 quite nicely. For some reason it wont boot fully if I add the mouse wheel driver and Akiko to the boot settings though. Not sure why that is, I am guessing it will work if I add these to the startup files differently.

For now I run them manually after the UI has loaded.
allyourbasekris

Unread post by allyourbasekris »

I'm planning an updated video to this where I create the blank .HDF on the mister using DD and then install to it via the 3.2.iso image. No need for WINUAE at all in the process.

It works in testing it's just getting the time to film the process.
Caldor
Top Contributor

Unread post by Caldor »

allyourbasekris wrote: Thu Jul 08, 2021 12:15 pm
I'm planning an updated video to this where I create the blank .HDF on the mister using DD and then install to it via the 3.2.iso image. No need for WINUAE at all in the process.

Using "DD"? What is that? Could it make an HDF you can then move to the share folder and mount from there? I have been wanting to have more freedom with the Amiga on the MiSTer and a way to create an HDF file from MiSTer Minimig would be very nice.

Just like it would also be nice to be able to create VHD images for AO486... but I guess that is very possible. It is possible to access the share folder from a Windows 95 installation, and you can store some double zipped empty VHDs on the shared folder and that should make it possible to create VHDs and rename them from Windows 95, I would probably use Total Commander as it would be able to open and unpack zip files and such natively.

It should also be possible from DOS I guess, but then you wont have access to long filenames. Oh... I guess the shared folder in AO486 does not support those anyway. Hmm... well, still possible though you just have to use short filenames.

I guess premaking some different HDFs and zipping them could also be a solution for the Amiga core.

Btw... you know you will need a boot disk? At least without some special modded ROM or something you wont have access to CDs without a boot disk... but if you also found a way to do that I would be very interested.

So far I have made some boot disks that can help run CD32 and some CDTV games.
Caldor
Top Contributor

Unread post by Caldor »

Aha, I figured out what DD was, and also that creating an HDF file is probably much simpler than I thought it would be. Should be possible to attach some file of some size just called an HDF and then have HDToolbox partition it.

I first found an old guide that explained how to make HDF files first explaining how to with WinUAE then on a Mac it suggested using "Mkfile" which is just some generic file creator I believe, and I think DD is a Linux equivalent of that.

But I got another idea on making the MiSTer more freely controllable. I suspect it is possible to Telnet the MiSTer from an Amiga setup, and use that to... well... almost anything.
allyourbasekris

Caldor wrote: Thu Jul 08, 2021 4:11 pm
allyourbasekris wrote: Thu Jul 08, 2021 12:15 pm

Using "DD"? What is that? Could it make an HDF you can then move to the share folder and mount from there? I have been wanting to have more freedom with the Amiga on the MiSTer and a way to create an HDF file from MiSTer Minimig would be very nice.

Just like it would also be nice to be able to create VHD images for AO486... but I guess that is very possible. It is possible to access the share folder from a Windows 95 installation, and you can store some double zipped empty VHDs on the shared folder and that should make it possible to create VHDs and rename them from Windows 95, I would probably use Total Commander as it would be able to open and unpack zip files and such natively.

It should also be possible from DOS I guess, but then you wont have access to long filenames. Oh... I guess the shared folder in AO486 does not support those anyway. Hmm... well, still possible though you just have to use short filenames.

I guess premaking some different HDFs and zipping them could also be a solution for the Amiga core.

Btw... you know you will need a boot disk? At least without some special modded ROM or something you wont have access to CDs without a boot disk... but if you also found a way to do that I would be very interested.

So far I have made some boot disks that can help run CD32 and some CDTV games.
Yeah. I'd boot with the os3.2 install disk, it's got the cd Dev drivers on it and hd toolbox so you don't need anything else to get going.
zoopster

Is there a quick way to create a 32GB HDF file which can then be formatted and partitioned via the OS 3.2 install disk?
zoopster

I got 3.2 installed using an existing 3.1.4 HDF. Odd thing is that I can't get icon information to show with the WBStartUp tools I'm using:

1) AsyncWB
2) AutoArrangeIcons
3) FreeWheel
4) MinimigWheelDriver
5) RAWBInfo
6) WBDock (latest 2.x version)
allyourbasekris

You could SSH into your mister, move to your amiga directory and issue this command. It'll take a while though.
(Change renameme.hdf to whatever you want to call your image but leave .hdf on the end)

dd if=/dev/zero of=renameme.hdf bs=1M count=32000

Then you need to open HDTOOLS, define new, read from drive, save and then repartition. Reboot and it should show up properly.
allyourbasekris

If anyone's interested I've made a little script to make empty .hdf files to a custom size.

It's really basic but it can be run on the mister without a PC.
To use it SSH into your mister, type
cd /media/fat/Scripts
nano makehdf.sh

Then copy and paste the following script, once it's copied press CTRL+X to save the script. It'll then appear in your Script menu on the mister.

A couple of notes.

This script is hardcoded so won't work without modification on misters where the amiga directory is on USB or an external HD.

If any better scripters are out there and want to make this better please feel free. I'm not the best scripter in the world.

Code: Select all

#!/bin/bash
echo Before running this script please check you have enough space on your media.
read -p 'Name your HDF (.hdf will be added automatically) ' hdvar
read -p 'Size of HDF (In MB) ' sizevar
clear
cd /media/fat/games/Amiga/
echo Creating Image, Large files may take longer please be patient

dd if=/dev/zero of=$hdvar.hdf bs=1M count=$sizevar

echo The new $sizevar MB HDF called $hdvar.hdf is now in your Amiga directory
jca
Top Contributor

Unread post by jca »

Why do you create it in the scripts directory and move it to the Amiga directory, wouldn't be easier to create it directly in the Amiga directory?

Edit:
I modified the script to create the image directly in /media/fat/Amiga. It works.
I also have my games directory on USB but I also have a symlink on the SD card: games -> /media/usb0/games. No need to modify the script, it works.

Thanks for the script.
allyourbasekris

jca wrote: Thu Jul 08, 2021 10:00 pm Why do you create it in the scripts directory and move it to the Amiga directory, wouldn't be easier to create it directly in the Amiga directory?
Because I'm not a very good scripter? :D

Let me fix it.

EDIT, Fixed, it should create it directly now and skip the move step
cursedverses

Unread post by cursedverses »

Those DD commands will take ages. Try:

DD if=/dev/zero of=/media/fat/games/Amiga/hd0.hdf bs=1 count=0 seek=512M
Downside is the file is sparse so can contain deleted junk from the file system, but, once set up in AmigaOS, would work fine for this kind of situation.
Caldor
Top Contributor

Unread post by Caldor »

cursedverses wrote: Fri Jul 09, 2021 8:46 am Those DD commands will take ages. Try:

Downside is the file is sparse so can contain deleted junk from the file system, but, once set up in AmigaOS, would work fine for this kind of situation.
Yeah, I think this is the fastest way to make such a file... it just puts in a file registry in the file system without trying to free up the space for it, that part the Amiga HDToolbox will take care of when preparing the HDF.
allyourbasekris

cursedverses wrote: Fri Jul 09, 2021 8:46 am Those DD commands will take ages. Try:

Thanks for that, I'll drop it in my script if you don't mind.
cursedverses

Unread post by cursedverses »

Solskogen

Unread post by Solskogen »

On exfat it doesn't really matter if you use the seek= or not. Spares files are not supported on exfat. Instead of using dd you can also se truncate like this:

truncate -s 1G MyHardDrive.hdf
Caldor
Top Contributor

Unread post by Caldor »

zoopster wrote: Thu Jul 08, 2021 9:29 pm I got 3.2 installed using an existing 3.1.4 HDF. Odd thing is that I can't get icon information to show with the WBStartUp tools I'm using:

1) AsyncWB
2) AutoArrangeIcons
3) FreeWheel
4) MinimigWheelDriver
5) RAWBInfo
6) WBDock (latest 2.x version)
Did you add the wheeldriver to your startup settings? For me that blocks the startup and I never get into into AmigaOS.
Michael1260

Unread post by Michael1260 »

I believe you don't need FreeWheel anymore with AmigaOS 3.2
Caldor
Top Contributor

Unread post by Caldor »

Michael1260 wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 10:12 am I believe you don't need FreeWheel anymore with AmigaOS 3.2
You do, and for some reason I have not been able to add it to the boot sequence. Well, it is enough to use the driver, I did not have to run FreeWheel itself. That might be because of it being built in I guess.