HD Support for WB 2.04 and 1.3.3?

McBrain

Re: HD Support for WB 2.04 and 1.3.3?

Unread post by McBrain »

@kathleen,

Thank you for your hints! So you got it running at MisterFPGA ?

I extracted scsi.device [40.12 (21.12.93)] and my kick 1.3 rom [34.2 (28 Oct 1987)] seem to be good.

I retried the steps and cannot get the A590Setup running.

I own the real A1200 and A500 with those kickstart versions so this would not be a licence issue in case for a download.
kathleen
Top Contributor

Unread post by kathleen »

@McBrain,

Yes, I got it running at the MisterFPGA with the Minimig core in A500 config (68000+512kb+ocs/ecs)

Ok fine, will PM you with my Kick patched.

かすりん

C-R-T

Unread post by C-R-T »

RetroP wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 7:42 pm
SuperFrog wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 7:35 pm
I just noticed that one of my 2.05 has HD in it, but rom version is 37.300, not 37.350. Will test this rom tonight.
IIRC 37.300 has a 40MB limit on hard disks, you'd be much better of sourcing the 37.350 rom.
My A600 (non HD) has 37.300 and takes a 2GB CF card without issues. Single partition, all space is available. Only difference between 37.300 and 37.350 is the hard drive seek time which is longer on the 350 ROM, so that it can easier detect a slow starting drive.
RetroP

Unread post by RetroP »

C-R-T wrote: Fri Nov 05, 2021 12:01 pm My A600 (non HD) has 37.300 and takes a 2GB CF card without issues. Single partition, all space is available. Only difference between 37.300 and 37.350 is the hard drive seek time which is longer on the 350 ROM, so that it can easier detect a slow starting drive.
You should change to 37.350, you will suffer corruptions long term.
Check into it, 37.350 added support for drives larger than 40GB.
vanfanel

Unread post by vanfanel »

Hi! I have been followed the instructions in https://www.fpgaarcade.com/kb/how-to-bo ... he-replay/ and I created an 1.3 Kickstart with IDE boot support (I can boot IDE disks with it).

However, as it happened to @McBrain, I am also getting the error in "Hard Disk Prep" that says:

Code: Select all

Error -1 on device open! Attempting to prep the hard disk failes. Check your hardware and try again.
Can you lend a hand? What did you do to correct that error???

If I follow the howto exactly, I must do:

execute prephd drive 0
But that always returns

EXECUTE: parameters unsuitable for key ""
...which sounds like theres a typo on the howto.
roc

Unread post by roc »

I am not sure whether this is useful, but since a few years I have been using a WB 1.3 1GB image on the MiSTer, so I share my approach if this could be of any help:

- I use the modified Kick1.3 with the scsi.device 40.12. The procedure is the one that many said here. In case, please find attached a small script to be executed on the AmigaOS (Make-KS13-boot.zip) with some notes how to deal with possible issues. Make sure the required files are in place (links are in the script while you should provide the 1.3 KS). The result is a 512KB 1.3 kickstart with scsi.device 40.12. Set-up the MiSTer as 68000, 8MB RAM, OCS.

- For the image, I dind't create that from the Amiga. I created on the WinUAE or RDBTool a single 1GB size formatted in PFS3-AIO. Nowadays, I use a single partition instead of the historical OS and Work, because with PFS3-AIO there are virtually no corruption issues.
This can be done in WinUAE for PFS3 (easier) or only in FFS with Amitools/RDBTool (Amitools requires Windows Subsystem for Linux or a real Linux).
If you wish to skip the above, I am enclosing the PFS3-AIO empy HDF image (WB_13_1GB_PFS3_Partitioned-Formatted.7z)
The same HDF with the patched-rom works with WB13 on almost any compatible system (real Amigas with the burned patched rom or FPGA). The only sad exeption that I am aware of is the PS-Vita (or in general UAE4all ones) due to its limitation to non-RDB HDFs.

- You can install the WB directly on the MiSter (or elsewhere) with the ADFs.
In my case, I have the WBs (1.3, 3.2.x/OCS, 3.2.x/AGA) mapped as simple directories on the PC, where each folder contains the amiga files. This makes easy to run the WB directly on WinUAE, keep them up to date or copying to HDFs for real amigas or the Mister when required.
For copying files, you can either do that through WinUAE (easier) by mapping the additional HDF to a running Workbench (DOpus or Shell "Copy all clone..") or from the PC with tools like the AmiTools (more difficult). Both approaches safeguards the amiga files with invalid Windows-Explorer names (see UltimaV one..and others )
Attachments
WB_13_1GB_PFS3_Partitioned-Formatted.7z
(178.74 KiB) Downloaded 167 times
Make-KS13-boot.zip
(942 Bytes) Downloaded 180 times
chrisy

Unread post by chrisy »

vanfanel wrote: Fri Nov 04, 2022 5:59 pm Hi! I have been followed the instructions in https://www.fpgaarcade.com/kb/how-to-bo ... he-replay/ and I created an 1.3 Kickstart with IDE boot support (I can boot IDE disks with it).

However, as it happened to @McBrain, I am also getting the error in "Hard Disk Prep" that says:

Error -1 on device open! Attempting to prep the hard disk failes. Check your hardware and try again.
Can you lend a hand? What did you do to correct that error???

If I follow the howto exactly, I must do:

execute prephd drive 0
But that always returns

EXECUTE: parameters unsuitable for key ""
...which sounds like theres a typo on the howto.
I'm not sure if this is your problem, but when I set mine up I had an error (can't remember what), and the solution was the use the "Low Level Format" program on the HD Setup disk. This wasn't mentioned in whatever guide I was using and took a bit of time to figure out (after seeing the warnings back in the 90s to never use Low Level Format on IDE HDs I was avoiding this option like the plague!)
vanfanel

@chrisy In the end, I used the HDToolBox in the A590 setup disk to define the unit type, partitioned it, and let the format utility to install WB1.3 on it.
Working!

Why/how the tutorial gets PrepHD to work is a mistery to me, but I won't waste any more time to find out who knows/cares.

@roc Should I use PSF3 with KS1.3 and WB1.3 instead of ADFFS? Note I won't be using large HDFs... 256MB at most.
Malor
Top Contributor

Unread post by Malor »

I was wondering about PrepHD, I don't think I've ever used that. I didn't chime in before because I didn't remember the name of the correct program and was too lazy to go look. :)

Setting up an Amiga with a hard drive is a serious PITA, especially if you want a custom filesystem like SFS or PFS. It's freaking intricate, and there's so many ways to get it wrong. One of the real gotchas in HDToolBox is that you have to hit enter on many widgets; if you click a type-in entry field, type something in, and then click away, the change doesn't take. You have to hit enter for the new value to register. Man, that has messed me up sometimes.

I've set up hard drive images with custom filesystems multiple times now, and I still couldn't actually walk anyone through the process.
vanfanel wrote: Tue Nov 08, 2022 12:03 pm @roc Should I use PSF3 with KS1.3 and WB1.3 instead of ADFFS? Note I won't be using large HDFs... 256MB at most.
The newest version of PFS, IIRC, is on Aminet under 'pf3aio.lha' or something very similar. That is just the filesystem driver, the code that you load onto the partition during HDToolbox setup. That version is 'all-in-one', apparently working on every CPU and Kickstart revision. You still have to download the other PFS tools separately, the pf3aio file is the on-disk driver only.

That version will allow you to connect the same disk to any OS version, so it's especially nice for a data drive where you stick most of your programs and games. On the Mister, that means you can use it with either A500 or A1200 mode without compatibility worries. It's even nicer on WinUAE with all its model and ROM options.
roc

Unread post by roc »

@Vanfel, I still reccomand PFS3AIO for any size even 256MB, because, as Malor quite rightly said, PFS works on any WB and with any CPU. It is also faster and, importantly, more reliable.

In case you wish to go for FastFileSystem on the WB 1.3, IIRC the FFS version should be the 40.1 or earlier. In other words, you can use the FFS up to the the one included with the WB 3.1 (without the option for international and long file name).
The 3.1.4 and 3.2 FFS shouldn’t work on the WB 1.3.

In both cases, I would use HDToolBox. As Maldor said, there are some tricky option to setup (FFS for WB13 dostype 0x444F5301, maxtransfer 0x1fe00 or PFS for all WB versions dostype 0x50465303, maxtransfer 0x1fe00)
vanfanel

roc wrote: Sat Nov 19, 2022 8:07 pm @Vanfel, I still reccomand PFS3AIO for any size even 256MB, because, as Malor quite rightly said, PFS works on any WB and with any CPU. It is also faster and, importantly, more reliable.

In case you wish to go for FastFileSystem on the WB 1.3, IIRC the FFS version should be the 40.1 or earlier. In other words, you can use the FFS up to the the one included with the WB 3.1 (without the option for international and long file name).
The 3.1.4 and 3.2 FFS shouldn’t work on the WB 1.3.

In both cases, I would use HDToolBox. As Maldor said, there are some tricky option to setup (FFS for WB13 dostype 0x444F5301, maxtransfer 0x1fe00 or PFS for all WB versions dostype 0x50465303, maxtransfer 0x1fe00)
I am following your advice (had many disk validation errors in the past with Amiga FFS) and I am going to try PFS3 for the first time.
I am a GNU/linux user, and proficient one at that. So, do you have instructions I can follow up using the command console to create a PSF3 HDF image from the GNU/Linux console, please?
I always start by creating my HDF images with:

dd if=/dev/zero of=image.hdf bs=256M count=1
So, after that, how do I make that a PSF3 filesystem I can use on Minimig core? I am not using WinUAE or any other Windows shi..eehmm.. software.

EDIT: I have created an HDF image with a PFS3 filesystem like this, using amitools:

rdbtool test.hdf create size=256Mi + init rdb_cyls=4
rdbtool test.hdf add size=100% DH0
rdbtool test.hdf fsadd pfs3aio
xdftool /dev/disk1 open part=dh0 + format System
Now, should I use HDToolBox to set dostype 0x50465303 and maxtransfer 0x1fe00, right?
Isn't it possible to get the PFS3 partition formatted for KS 1.3 using amitools?

EDIT2: Sadly, HDToolBox doesn't recognize the disc. I have tried with a KS 3.1 + WB 3.1 version of HDToolBox, no luck.
What am I missing here, please?
Malor
Top Contributor

Unread post by Malor »

You can't do anything beyond creating the empty file on the Linux side. Everything else has to be done from the Amiga. This process is ridiculously complex, and you are much better off downloading a blank PFS image from someone else.

If you insist on putting yourself through the pain, you'll need to find and download pfs3aio.lha from Aminet, put it in the transfer directory, and unlha the file. You will also need to download the latest PFS tools, which are in a different, older archive. PFS3AIO is just the on-disk driver that you load onto the partition when you create it; it's a universal binary that works on any version of the OS or 68K chip.

Then you'll have to connect the blank image to an IDE port in Minimig's config. You will find it easier to boot onto an existing WB3.1 as your primary partition, and then set up the PFS3 disk from there. Building PFS from floppies can be done, but it's even more painful, and requires fairly nutty contortions to get things working. The install floppies are jammed full, so you have to monkey around with ramdisks and manual file copies and crap like that.

I'll be vague from here because I haven't done this for awhile, and I'm not going to bother putting myself through it again. You have to run HDToolBox. It will scan for drives. (edit: you may have to change the Tooltype info on HDToolbox's icon so that it scans the correct SCSI driver.) You have to load info from the drive, which tells Toolbox about the geometry. You'll know this is working when you see the text description fill in with something about the Mister. I think you have to commit that data to disk, reboot, and run HDToolbox again.

It'll start out defaulting to two partitions. Assuming you want only one, you'll have to delete the second and resize the first. Then you have to go in and define a custom filesystem, which you do by typing in hex codes, which were posted a few comments ago, and then choosing a binary file from disk; this should be the pfs3aio file you downloaded as the first step. Then you have to edit the partition and apply that filesystem to it, and you have to change at least MaxTransfer to a smaller value, also posted upthread. There may be other stuff too, I was going through an online checklist. Then you commit your changes and reboot the system again.

At that point you should see a new drive name, possibly something like DH2:, followed by NDOS, meaning a non-AmigaDOS disk. Now you use the PFS utilities you downloaded, running pfsformat on DH2 or whatever it is. Do not format from Workbench, use pfsformat from the CLI.

Once that's all complete, voila, you have a PFS disk. But there are probably steps I've forgotten, because this seems somewhat straightforward in looking at these directions, and I didn't find it that way at all. There's probably more mystic nonsense you have to invoke to actually make it work.
vanfanel

@Malor: I know your intentions were good, but that post was very misleading: creating and HDF that contains a PFS3 filesystem is very easy using GNU/Linux (as I said, I don't know about other/inferior operating systems) thanks to amigatools.
There's nothing hard, complicated or convoluted about it. No need to use HDToolBox or any other clunky solution in the middle of the process: it can be easily done with some simple commands.

We start by creating an empy HDF with the size we want. Reserve 4 cylinders for the filesystem driver:

rdbtool test.hdf create size=256Mi + init rdb_cyls=4
Add a partition that will use, in this case, 100% of the disk. We also specify that it must be bootable, have a 0x444F5301 dostype and the appropiate maxtransfer:

rdbtool test.hdf add size=100% DH0 dostype=0x444F5301 max_transfer=0x1fe00 bootable=true
Download the opensource implementation of a PFS3 driver from here, and decompress the lha file:
http://aminet.net/package/disk/misc/pfs3aio

Add the filesystem driver to the HDF disk image:

rdbtool test.hdf fsadd pfs3aio
The only step remaining is using the PSF tools so the partition is usable from WB 1.3, I guess.
I downloaded the complete, original PSF3 package from here: https://aminet.net/package/disk/misc/PFS3_53
..And formatted the partition from Amiga OS like this:

pfsformat drive DH0: name "Amiga" quick noicons

Sadly, the resulting partition appears as NDOS in both KS1.3 and KS 3.1.
Anything I am missing? But please, don't send me again to HDToolBox...
[/S]

EDIT: Reading this thread here: https://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=56826&page=2
...It seems that using the Workbench FORMAT utilities (like "initialize disc" in WB 1.3) should be fine for PSF3.
There's a lot of "wrong" knowledge around PFS3 installation, it seems. Some, let's say, superstition.. But I am on to find the thruth behind all this, as the atheist I am :mrgreen:

MORE: In that same thread, thomas says that:
You don't even need pfsformat. The only difference between pfsformat and normal format is that pfsformat allows you to set file name size and deldir size which are specific to PFS. But if I look above, you didn't use these options anyway, so you could as well use format from the Workbench menu or DOS format from HDInstTools.
So no, pfsformat and hence the original PFS3_53 archive are NOT NEEDED AT ALL.

Doing this to format the partition is enough for KS 3.1:

xdftool test.hdf open part=dh0 + format Amiga
Now, HOW can I format a disk for KS 1.3 usage using XDFTools? That's the ONLY question remaining now with regards to this giant superstition pile that PFS3 has become.
vanfanel

More information on this. Doing this formats a partition to DOS1, which KS 1.3 should be able to use, but it does not:

xdftool test.hdf open part=dh0 + format Amiga DOS1
Also tried in HEX format:

xdftool test.hdf open part=dh0 + format Amiga 0x444F5301
No way! Is xfdtool unable to do KS 1.3-compatible formats??
Optiroc

Unread post by Optiroc »

Regarding creating PFS3 HDF images, my workflow is to create the image and partitions + inserting the PFS3 filesystem binary using rdbtool (also from the amitools package).

I've automated the process with this script. It should be usable as-is, or if anyone wants to do it manually at least it should be easy enough to see the necessary rdbtool invokations.

rdbtool can't actually format the partitions, however, so for that step I boot up UAE from a floppy with just the regular AmigaDOS format command on to do the formatting. Something like this: `format drive DH0: name "Amiga" quick noicons`
vanfanel

Optiroc wrote: Tue Nov 22, 2022 12:14 pm Regarding creating PFS3 HDF images, my workflow is to create the image and partitions + inserting the PFS3 filesystem binary using rdbtool (also from the amitools package).

I've automated the process with this script. It should be usable as-is, or if anyone wants to do it manually at least it should be easy enough to see the necessary rdbtool invokations.

rdbtool can't actually format the partitions, however, so for that step I boot up UAE from a floppy with just the regular AmigaDOS format command on to do the formatting. Something like this: `format drive DH0: name "Amiga" quick noicons`
Yes, exactly what I am doing. For formatting, xdftool from the amitools package can be used. However, I can't get it to format the partition in a way that KS 1.3 can directly use them without formatting again from WB 1.3.
So, do you happen to know if it's possible at all to use xfdtool to format a partition in a KS 1.3 compatible way?
Malor
Top Contributor

Unread post by Malor »

vanfanel wrote: Tue Nov 22, 2022 9:55 am @Malor: I know your intentions were good, but that post was very misleading: creating and HDF that contains a PFS3 filesystem is very easy using GNU/Linux (as I said, I don't know about other/inferior operating systems) thanks to amigatools.
And then you go on at great length about how all the ways it doesn't work.

If you do it from within the virtual Amiga, it will work correctly.
vanfanel

Malor wrote: Tue Nov 22, 2022 2:39 pm
vanfanel wrote: Tue Nov 22, 2022 9:55 am @Malor: I know your intentions were good, but that post was very misleading: creating and HDF that contains a PFS3 filesystem is very easy using GNU/Linux (as I said, I don't know about other/inferior operating systems) thanks to amigatools.
And then you go on at great length about how all the ways it doesn't work.

If you do it from within the virtual Amiga, it will work correctly.
It DOES work! Installing the PFS3 driver into the RBD image DOES work.
Formatting for KS 3.X systems DOES work.
The ONLY part that doesn't work is formatting for KS 1.x systems using amitools, which I will solve sooner or later.
Malor
Top Contributor

Unread post by Malor »

So it doesn't work. The whole point was making an image that would function on both OS versions. If you can format it from 3.1 but then can't read it on 1.3, and have to reformat it there, that's not a solution to the stated problem.

The process I (roughly) outlined is a lot more intricate, but it fulfills the requirements.

I still recommend downloading a blank image instead.
vanfanel

Malor wrote: Tue Nov 22, 2022 6:32 pm So it doesn't work. The whole point was making an image that would function on both OS versions. If you can format it from 3.1 but then can't read it on 1.3, and have to reformat it there, that's not a solution to the stated problem.

The process I (roughly) outlined is a lot more intricate, but it fulfills the requirements.

I still recommend downloading a blank image instead.
Oh man...
roc

Unread post by roc »

@Vanfanel

Glad you managed to do it through RDBtool. Like Optiroc said, the only limitation I am aware of, is the ability to format directly in PFS. It does format in FFS/DOS1 (for WB13) or FFS/DOS7 (any other version).

I use more or less the procedure you have followed. With the RDBtool (don't hate me, on Windows Subsystem for Linux), creating an image with the PFS3 in the RDB and then simply formatting the image (I do from WB 3.2)

Once it is formatted, you can use that PFS3 image with a WB13, either through the Minimig core or a real amiga 1.3 (the second with the custom Kickstart).

Don't mind the $variables, I use a script for that.

rdbtool -f -p DH $PathWB13ImageLinux create size=$WB13ImageSize + init rdb_cyls=8 + fsadd $PathFFS401Linux dostype=DOS1 + fsadd $PathPFS3AIOLinux dostype=PFS3 + add size=98% name=DH0 fs=DOS1 bootable=true automount=true pri=1 Bla max_transfer=0x0001fe00 mask=0x7ffffffe num_buffer=30
As you have done, this is to format in PFS3

PFSFormat DEVICE DH0: NAME Workbench quick NOICONS FNSIZE=107
xdftool is meant primarily for non-RDB images. Typical examples are the UAE4All/PS-Vita or Floppy images. For floppies, you should use DOS0 because ADF normally uses OFS instead of FFS. xdftool offers an easy way of copying files directly in the image. For instance, if you have a folder with files and wanted to create an ADF in moments just go for

xdftool YourADFname format YourLabel DOS0
followed by

xdftool YourADFname + boot install boot1x + info
and by

xdftool YourADFname open part=YourLabel + pack YourFiles DOS0 
In theory, you should be able to make them in one go instead of three steps (just add the + boot ...+ open ... parts) but for me it created some issues (might be just me)
roc

Unread post by roc »

Optiroc wrote: Tue Nov 22, 2022 12:14 pm

Regarding creating PFS3 HDF images, my workflow is to create the image and partitions + inserting the PFS3 filesystem binary using rdbtool (also from the amitools package).

rdbtool can't actually format the partitions, however, so for that step I boot up UAE from a floppy with just the regular AmigaDOS format command on to do the formatting. Something like this: format drive DH0: name "Amiga" quick noicons

I have downloaded the Pyton script to take a look at that. Thanks.

If you are interested, Henrik Stengaard (creator of the HstWB) is working on a tool capable to create and formatting in PFS3 from Windows. It is still work-in-progress but looks very promising.

https://github.com/henrikstengaard/hst-imager

Optiroc

Unread post by Optiroc »

roc wrote: Thu Nov 24, 2022 2:58 pm If you are interested, Henrik Stengaard (creator of the HstWB) is working on a tool capable to create and formatting in PFS3 from Windows. It is still work-in-progress but looks very promising.

https://github.com/henrikstengaard/hst-amiga
Oh, that’s really nice! Now I need to investigate the hoops I need to go through to make the PFS3 part usable as a cross platform library.

(Edit: no particular hoop-jumping needed it seems)
vanfanel

@roc

There's something I REALLY don't understand:
You say that you format the image from WB 3.2. In that case, why do you do this?

You are formatting it twice. I believe it's enough to format it from WB, isn't it?
Is the FFS option on the WB format tool needed for KS 3.x, or is it only needed for KS 1.x?

Also, I am told I should be seeing a PFS3-specific format menu on WB when trying to format the disk icon, so that reinforces my theory that PFSFormat isn't really necessary, since you can do the same via the format option in WB. But maybe I am wrong on this?

Also, the FNSIZE=107 seems to cause an error here: "setting filenamesize failed". Any idea on why?
(formatting itself seems to work even with that error, but AmigaDOS doesn't recognize the DH0 partition).
roc

Unread post by roc »

Once you create the image with RDbtool, you get an empty HDF with the PFS3 in the RDB. Nevertheless, there is the last step, because it is not formatted yet. Unless you format in FFS, but this would be redundant and not helping much, because you should format once again in PFS.

Since you want to get a PFS3 image, you should format it with PFSFormat. As optiroc suggested, currently this should be done only by Workbench because Amitools do not support the formatting in PFS3.

You can boot from a 3.x WB floppy with the PFSFormat in C (or any other location)

Otherwise, you should map an existing, installed, WB HDF to the device DH0, while the newly unformatted one should be mapped to the first device not assigned (say device DH1 or DH2, depending on your situation).
Boot the working WB from the HDF and format the new one.

In both cases, on the WB you should notice the unformatted changing its name from NoDos to the label that you choose.

Does this make sense?
vanfanel

roc wrote: Fri Nov 25, 2022 5:43 pm Once you create the image with RDbtool, you get an empty HDF with the PFS3 in the RDB. Nevertheless, there is the last step, because it is not formatted yet. Unless you format in FFS, but this would be redundant and not helping much, because you should format once again in PFS.

Since you want to get a PFS3 image, you should format it with PFSFormat. As optiroc suggested, currently this should be done only by Workbench because Amitools do not support the formatting in PFS3.

You can boot from a 3.x WB floppy with the PFSFormat in C (or any other location)

Otherwise, you should map an existing, installed, WB HDF to the device DH0, while the newly unformatted one should be mapped to the first device not assigned (say device DH1 or DH2, depending on your situation).
Boot the working WB from the HDF and format the new one.

In both cases, on the WB you should notice the unformatted changing its name from NoDos to the label that you choose.

Does this make sense?
Yes, it seems I wasn't understanding this right. I need to use PFSFormat. I am doing that now, after booting using a WB 3.1 adf and with PFSFormat ready on a shared unit so I can access it from the Amiga side.

First I create the PFS3 disk like this exactly (NOTE: this is for KS 3.x only for now, so I am NOT adding the FFS filesystem: I am adding the PFS3 filesystem only):

rdbtool -f -p DH test.hdf create size=512Mi + init rdb_cyls=8 + fsadd pfs3aio dostype=PFS3 + add size=98% name=DH0 bootable=true automount=true pri=1 Bla max_transfer=0x0001fe00 mask=0x7ffffffe num_buffer=30
Then, I do this to format the disk in PSF3:

And it completes the formatting.
...But then, it remains as an DH0:NDOS unit. Seems as if the system (WB 3.1 in this case) wouldn't be able to recognize the PFS3-formatted partition.

Do you know what I may be missing, please?
roc

Unread post by roc »

I am not in front of my computer, but having read your rdbtool code, I would first add both filesysyems PFS3 and FFS to the RDB. Since you format from WB 3.1, you can select DOS7 instead of the DOS1 that I posted for the WB13

PFS3AIO works with any WB version: I have been using it virtually on any release from 1.3 to 3.2.1

If this doesn’t work, tomorrow I can make a test from the PC
Malor
Top Contributor

Unread post by Malor »

This process may eventually work, but if you want to be *sure*, doing it from within the hosted Amiga is painful, but actually does what it's supposed to do. The hardest part is dealing with HDToolBox, which is atrociously bad software.

I'll also point out that you rode in here and said this to me:
@Malor: I know your intentions were good, but that post was very misleading: creating and HDF that contains a PFS3 filesystem is very easy using GNU/Linux (as I said, I don't know about other/inferior operating systems) thanks to amigatools.
... but your replacement process still doesn't work. You called me misleading, when I'm the one telling you how to actually succeed at the listed task. Three days later, you're still flailing, where I'd have been done in an hour or so.

So, who was it that was being misleading, again?
vanfanel

roc wrote: Fri Nov 25, 2022 9:44 pm I am not in front of my computer, but having read your rdbtool code, I would first add both filesysyems PFS3 and FFS to the RDB. Since you format from WB 3.1, you can select DOS7 instead of the DOS1 that I posted for the WB13

PFS3AIO works with any WB version: I have been using it virtually on any release from 1.3 to 3.2.1

If this doesn’t work, tomorrow I can make a test from the PC
OK, I will try with DOS7 and adding both FFS and PSF3. But where is the FFS driver file? I can't find it anywhere. If you can tell what to search for in google to get it, it will be more than enough.

EDIT: Ah, it seems that FastFilesystem is in the L directory of the first WB 3.1 disk set. Now I can test your exact commandline for HDF creation.
vanfanel

Ok, now I am creating the image with this command line, following your instructions exactly and with both FFS and PFS3 being installed:

rdbtool -f -p DH test.hdf create size=512Mi + init rdb_cyls=8 + fsadd FastFilesystem dostype=DOS7 + fsadd pfs3aio dostype=PFS3 + add size=98% name=DH0 fs=DOS7 bootable=true automount=true pri=1 Bla max_transfer=0x0001fe00 mask=0x7ffffffe num_buffer=30
Good news is that now the FORMAT requester in WB3.1 will NOT show the FFS option, so it's showing the PFS3 requester!
The bad news is that, after the WB 3.1 FORMAT is completed, I get: "Not a valid DOS disk".

Using PFSFormat also completes, but then I get the same DH0:NDOS icon as before.