My *.hdf drive wont boot after latest update

killersquirel

Re: My *.hdf drive wont boot after latest update

Unread post by killersquirel »

I have upgraded the main MiSTer and I can still run the older minimig core that is compatible with all hdf files. Is it possible for a future update to have the new features and still be compatible with all of the hdf files. I have a large collection of hdf files that are single games that work great and would love to keep that going forward.
SuperFrog

Unread post by SuperFrog »

I am sure you probably are better off to create script that will replace HDFs with new RDB one. Something similar was done long time ago to pack KillerGorilla's packs into HDFs that you are probably using today. (I still might have somewhere that WinUAE setup)

Why keep all games as separate HDF files?? This might works great for RetroPie and similar front ends. On minimig you are better off running games from workbench.

I am running single HDF - 6 GB divided into 2 500MB partitions for Workbench and Work (programs) and 5GB for data, including most of games and some MOD files. All of this runs on OS 3.2 with some little tweaks + shared folder + RGB.

JudgeDrokk wrote: Fri Jul 02, 2021 9:09 pm As many people have large HDF sets that are now incompatible with Minimig is it possible to forward-port the RDB-faking code to the new IDE system. A friend suggested this - I'm not experienced enough to even understand what that means.
Hopefully something can be done to 'give' without 'taking away' for other users. :-)
If you have HDF that is not properly setup with RDB in amiga and you don't have one of OS versions that support large HDF files, then you better off trying to stay with smaller partitions. So far from my experience, bellow 4GB - WB 3.1. Bigger HDFs either 3.1.4 or 3.2. I did not try OS 3.5, 3.9 or 4.1. I am not sure how well they would work on minimig. Those would work bad on regular 68020 without accelerator. I can't remember every running one of them on real Amiga. (Used ClassicWB a lot)

All you have to do - setup WinUAE with your current HDF, and create new HDF with the same size - use HDFTools to create partitions and format them once created. DIR Opus would be best visual option to copy content between partitions. Amiga will allow you to copy all disks, including running OS. Just make sure OS (system / workbench) is set to autoboot.

Here is good explanation how to setup OS 3.2: https://amigadventures.tumblr.com/post/ ... essions-so

Created image will work great on minimig.
akeley
Top Contributor

Unread post by akeley »

SuperFrog wrote: Sun Jul 04, 2021 4:36 am IWhy keep all games as separate HDF files?? This might works great for RetroPie and similar front ends. On minimig you are better off running games from workbench.
Not necessarily. Single-program hdfs are great if you just want to quickly fire up a favourite without going the WB route. There are also more hdfs than WHDloads, which do not cover the entire Amiga gaming library after all, and hdf demo packs too.

I do mostly use WB+other custom vhds myself, but would appreciate if it was possible to use the old hdfs as well. If it can't be fixed then I'll just keep the latest version which has worked for hdfs as secondary Minimig core and use it when needed. It was already compatible with most software anyway.
Chris23235
Top Contributor

Unread post by Chris23235 »

akeley wrote: Sun Jul 04, 2021 9:02 am Not necessarily. Single-program hdfs are great if you just want to quickly fire up a favourite without going the WB route. There are also more hdfs than WHDloads, which do not cover the entire Amiga gaming library after all, and hdf demo packs too.
Are there games in hdf format not based on WHDload? Every Amiga game running from a hdf I have seen so far was a WHDload.
JudgeDrokk

Unread post by JudgeDrokk »

killersquirel wrote: Sat Jul 03, 2021 10:46 am I have upgraded the main MiSTer and I can still run the older minimig core that is compatible with all hdf files. Is it possible for a future update to have the new features and still be compatible with all of the hdf files. I have a large collection of hdf files that are single games that work great and would love to keep that going forward.
This would be the perfect comprimise for me.
I have a set of over 4000 individual game HDFs and 800+ demoscene HDFs (not made or compiled by myself) Being able to direct boot straight into an individual title is great. I may be being selfish wanting this lost ability back but i'm sure I am not the only one.
JudgeDrokk

Chris23235 wrote: Sun Jul 04, 2021 10:32 am
akeley wrote: Sun Jul 04, 2021 9:02 am Not necessarily. Single-program hdfs are great if you just want to quickly fire up a favourite without going the WB route. There are also more hdfs than WHDloads, which do not cover the entire Amiga gaming library after all, and hdf demo packs too.
Are there games in hdf format not based on WHDload? Every Amiga game running from a hdf I have seen so far was a WHDload.
I have a set of 2,801 'NONE-WHD load' titles in HDF format, and over 4,108 with WHDload.

I also use the latest MegaAGS - which until now was the best of both worlds. ... or three worlds if you include being able to boot from WB.
akeley
Top Contributor

Unread post by akeley »

Code: Select all

10x10 (Aladin) (generic).hdf
1497 - Five Years After (Aladin) (generic).hdf
18 Hole Golf (Aladin) (generic).hdf
1st Person Pinball (Aladin) (generic).hdf
20000 Leagues Under The Sea (FR) (Aladin) (generic).hdf
21st Century Entertainment Collection.hdf
4 Get It (Aladin) (generic).hdf
4 Lynx 4 (Aladin) (generic) [Start WB31_4].hdf
40 Thieves (Aladin) (generic).hdf
4-Way Lynx (Aladin) (generic).hdf
500cc Moto Manager (EN-IT) (Aladin) (generic).hdf
543210 Little Cars Racer AGA (Aladin) (generic)[WB31_4].hdf
5k Invaders (Aladin) (generic).hdf
6 Tris (Aladin) (generic).hdf
A320 Airbus (Aladin) (generic)[WB13].hdf
A320 Airbus 2 (Aladin) (generic)[WB13].hdf
A320 Airbus Europe (Aladin) (generic)[WB13].hdf
A320 Airbus USA (Aladin) (generic)[WB13].hdf
A320 Approach Trainer (Aladin) (generic)[WB13][Code protection inside].hdf
A3D Defence (Aladin) (generic).hdf
Aard Varks (Aladin) (generic).hdf
Aardvark (Aladin) (generic).hdf
ABC Sports Wide World Of Sports Boxing (Aladin) (generic).hdf
ABD The Next Break AGA (Aladin) (generic).hdf
Abusimbel Profanation (Aladin) (generic).hdf
That's the first page from Ransom's Non-WHD hdf pack. There are >2500 games in it, far as I know most don't have WHD equivalent.
Chris23235
Top Contributor

Unread post by Chris23235 »

Didn't knew there where non WHD load hdf games, thanks for the info.
SuperFrog

Unread post by SuperFrog »

There are JST and HD Loader games that Ransom probably has setup for his single SD card collection for RetroPie. You can get all of those games from EAB FTP server, iirc collection is maintained by Retroplay.
JudgeDrokk

SuperFrog wrote: Sun Jul 04, 2021 6:12 pm There are JST and HD Loader games that Ransom probably has setup for his single SD card collection for RetroPie. You can get all of those games from EAB FTP server, iirc collection is maintained by Retroplay.
Ransom's description of the non-whd set... "RANSOMS HDF FINAL FIXED SET (NON WHDLOAD GENERIC GAMES)... 2,795 HDF's - Consisiting of games that are mainly not in Retroplay's WHDLoad games collection, Generally meaning custom HDF's. "
rsn8887

Unread post by rsn8887 »

akeley wrote: Fri Jul 02, 2021 2:59 pm But now I have an Idefix97 nag screen when I boot.

Is the shareware version of Idefix the only one available?
The Idefix97 folder should have a register icon that you can double click. Then a window comes up where you can enter a name, serial number and key to register it. Then the nag screen goes away. Google is your friend.

I bet my original problem that caused me to need idefix was a too high maxtransfer value set via HD Toolbox as was mentioned in several posts above. Can it be set to a lower value safely with HD Toolbox without losing all data on the hdf? I suspect that changing it in retrospect will corrupt the data already on the partition.

The MiSTer readme.md maybe should be updated to contain a hint about MaxTransfer since it is not obvious what value to put there.
JudgeDrokk wrote: Sun Jul 04, 2021 7:07 pm Ransom's description of the non-whd set... "RANSOMS HDF FINAL FIXED SET (NON WHDLOAD GENERIC GAMES)... 2,795 HDF's - Consisiting of games that are mainly not in Retroplay's WHDLoad games collection, Generally meaning custom HDF's. "
I am 99% sure those are the games from the “Aladin” set on EAB FTP. There are many really cool PD, freeware and shareware games and many other os-friendly games in that set. All of them are using the “generic” WHDload slave that allows booting os-friendly games that don’t have a dedicated slave.
rsn8887

Unread post by rsn8887 »

Delete this I already merged the text with previous post
mahen

Unread post by mahen »

Hi ! My primary HDF (WB) was still booting but my secondary (Games) wasn't. Started HDToolbox (& modified the device tooltype to scsi.device), saved the modifications, rebooted, and it worked.
limi
Top Contributor

Unread post by limi »

Looks like support for headerless HDFs is back with the latest Minimig update, so this should no longer be necessary.
akeley
Top Contributor

Unread post by akeley »

Note to self, after an update...

sshot-2021-07-05-18-16-28-resize.png
sshot-2021-07-05-18-16-28-resize.png (32.21 KiB) Viewed 4875 times

EDIT: actually, these hdfs are still not working after today's update. Anybody had more luck?
JudgeDrokk

With the 30th of June updated Minimig I got a KS 3.1 animated hand screen when trying to boot an HDF...
today with the 5th July update I get this........ (see picture) with the same HDF image.
Attachments
214177634_195139375882945_7741388637567506559_n.png
214177634_195139375882945_7741388637567506559_n.png (1.78 MiB) Viewed 4899 times
rsn8887

Unread post by rsn8887 »

I am getting the same error with all my headerless hdf files. I suspect maybe the re-added support is not as complete as it used to be?!?!
Duffygag

Unread post by Duffygag »

Same issue :(
limi
Top Contributor

Unread post by limi »

There was another update to the headerless HDF support today, update Main + Minimig and try again?
Duffygag

Unread post by Duffygag »

I had a corrupted HDF all working fine now :)
JudgeDrokk

Duffygag wrote: Wed Jul 07, 2021 9:03 am I had a corrupted HDF all working fine now :)
Sorgelig's fixed 'MAIN' had done the job - tested this morning, All good. Great work Sorgelig. :D
Spark_Tek

Unread post by Spark_Tek »

I am trying to set up and use the MegaAGS hdfs, but even after double checking the configs it seems like it won't recognize the HDD? I just keep getting the screen asking for a floppy disk.

Is this related to the headers? I am entirely new to Amiga.