Missing directory Amiga

Kreeblah

Missing directory Amiga

Unread post by Kreeblah »

Is anybody here familiar with why the Amiga core would return an error saying "Missing directory Amiga" when I try to pick a Kickstart ROM? I've tried putting my ROMs in /media/fat/Amiga and /media/fat/Games/Amiga (both of which I've seen other people suggest), but neither seems to work for me.

I'd rather not drop a kick.rom file in the root since I'd like to actually be able to pick which Kickstart ROM gets used, but I don't seem to be having much luck getting it set up.

So . . . does anybody have any thoughts on what might be doing this?
jca
Top Contributor

Re: Missing directory Amiga

Unread post by jca »

Do you have everything on SD card or are you also using a USB drive?
misterious

Unread post by misterious »

Kreeblah wrote: Wed Jul 07, 2021 9:48 pm Is anybody here familiar with why the Amiga core would return an error saying "Missing directory Amiga" when I try to pick a Kickstart ROM? I've tried putting my ROMs in /media/fat/Amiga and /media/fat/Games/Amiga (both of which I've seen other people suggest), but neither seems to work for me.

I'd rather not drop a kick.rom file in the root since I'd like to actually be able to pick which Kickstart ROM gets used, but I don't seem to be having much luck getting it set up.

So . . . does anybody have any thoughts on what might be doing this?
I remember having the same problem and solved moving the kickstart files in games/amiga (actually I've a "roms" dir and symbolic links pointing to games) from the root , you can choose which kickstart to boot from the configuration , I've 1.3 for ocs and 3.1 for AGA
cursedverses

Unread post by cursedverses »

This is a classic.

Make sure you have a file explicitly named kick.rom in /media/fat/Games/Amiga, then you'll be able to pick another.
For some reason, it shows missing directory if it can't find the file in the config (which defaults to the above)...
Kreeblah

jca wrote: Wed Jul 07, 2021 11:06 pm Do you have everything on SD card or are you also using a USB drive?
/media/fat/Games is mounted from my NAS using the cifs_mount.sh script.
cursedverses wrote: Thu Jul 08, 2021 10:46 am This is a classic.

Make sure you have a file explicitly named kick.rom in /media/fat/Games/Amiga, then you'll be able to pick another.
For some reason, it shows missing directory if it can't find the file in the config (which defaults to the above)...
Good to know. I did that, but I guess I've got something else going on, since it's still giving me that error. This is what I've got in my Amiga directory. This should work, right?

Code: Select all

/media/fat/Games/Amiga# ls
AmigaOS_3.2	 Kickstart31.rom
AmigaOS_3_2.hdf  Kickstart_A1200_3_2.rom
Applications	 Kickstart_A3000_3_2.rom
Blank_2G.hdf	 Kickstart_A4000_3_2.rom
Blank_8G.hdf	 Kickstart_A4000T_3_2.rom
Drivers		 Kickstart_A500_A600_A1000_A2000_CDTV_3_2.rom
kick.rom
/media/fat/Games/Amiga# 
jca
Top Contributor

Unread post by jca »

Kreeblah wrote: Thu Jul 08, 2021 4:50 pm ...
That could explain it. I had the games directory on a USB drive and I ran into all sorts of problems with this core: the Amiga directory had to be in /media/usb0/Amiga and refused to work if in /media/usb0/games/Amiga. I could only use a single Kickstart rom which had to be /media/usb0/KICK.ROM and only that. Creating a symlink on the SD card games -> /media/usb0/games solved all my problems: I can use /media/usb0/games/Amiga and can use any Kickstart located in /media/usb0/games/Amiga, I don't even have a file named KICK.ROM anywhere on my MISTer.
The Minimig core loves only the SD card but I fooled it.
Kreeblah

jca wrote: Thu Jul 08, 2021 5:24 pm
Kreeblah wrote: Thu Jul 08, 2021 4:50 pm ...
That could explain it. I had the games directory on a USB drive and I ran into all sorts of problems with this core: the Amiga directory had to be in /media/usb0/Amiga and refused to work if in /media/usb0/games/Amiga. I could only use a single Kickstart rom which had to be /media/usb0/KICK.ROM and only that. Creating a symlink on the SD card games -> /media/usb0/games solved all my problems: I can use /media/usb0/games/Amiga and can use any Kickstart located in /media/usb0/games/Amiga, I don't even have a file named KICK.ROM anywhere on my MISTer.
The Minimig core loves only the SD card but I fooled it.
I just tried it with the files (except the 8GB file) directly on the SD card and my NAS completely unmounted, but no dice. It still won't find the directory.
jca
Top Contributor

Unread post by jca »

So you have your Minimig core in /media/fat/_Computer, your Amiga directory in /media/fat/games/Amiga and your Kickstarts in that same Amiga directory (not a sub-directory), correct?
Can you select a Kickstart in the configuration menu or do you get the error before?
Where do your Kickstarts come from?
If you have a 512K one is its exact size 524,288 bytes?
Kreeblah

jca wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 4:30 am So you have your Minimig core in /media/fat/_Computer, your Amiga directory in /media/fat/games/Amiga and your Kickstarts in that same Amiga directory (not a sub-directory), correct?
Can you select a Kickstart in the configuration menu or do you get the error before?
Where do your Kickstarts come from?
If you have a 512K one is its exact size 524,288 bytes?
Yep, my Minimig core is at /media/fat/_Computer/Minimig_20210705.rbf, my Amiga directory is /media/fat/games/Amiga, and my ROMs are in that directory (not a subdirectory).

I can't select a Kickstart, no. What I get when booting the core is a black screen with text saying that it couldn't load a Kickstart ROM, and that I needed to do that from the core configuration. Going into the config menu and then System > ROM, that's when I get the error. Instead of being able to choose my Kickstart ROM, it tells me it can't find the Amiga directory.

My Kickstart ROMs come from the Cloanto Amiga Forever 9 disc and from the AmigaOS 3.2 disc. Both kick.rom and Kickstart31.rom are the A1200 3.1 ROM from the AF9 disc after decryption, and the rest are from the 3.2 disc, but renamed (though for the same Amiga systems as their names imply). The SHA1 checksum of the 3.1 ROM matches what other people have for it (e21545723fe8374e91342617604f1b3d703094f1), though I don't know of anywhere other than a utility I'm writing that has the checksums for the 3.2 ROMs, so I can't really compare those with anybody else's. They work in FS-UAE, though.

All the ROMs are exactly 524,288 bytes.
jca
Top Contributor

Unread post by jca »

So everything seems to be alright and it should work. I mentioned the size of the roms because someone had a problem: he used encrypted roms which had been decrypted. Encrypted roms have a header which makes them bigger and after decryption he still had the rom bigger as if the header was still there. When Minimig finds such a rom it considers it encrypted and looks for the key file, as his rom was decrypted he did not have the key file in the Amiga directory (I do not know what would have happened if it was). But this is not your case so I am running out of ideas.
Kreeblah

Yeah, I have no idea what's wrong here. As far as I can tell, I'm doing everything that should be required to get this to work, but it just . . . isn't.

As far as the decryption goes for the other person, I have a feeling that it would have attempted to use the key to decrypt the ROM (which would have then encrypted it). The Amiga ROM encryption/decryption is just an XOR operation that runs through the bytes in the key (which is an arbitrary file) from beginning to end, over and over, until it reaches the end of the ROM, and then either adding or removing the header as applicable.
jca
Top Contributor

Unread post by jca »

The only thing I can think of but which is very unlikely is to double check in the OSD that you are not switched to USB.
Regarding the encrypted roms I did not dig any further as the easiest solution was not to use them but it is good to know if strange problems arise with the Kickstarts.
When people run into really strange problems, like it recently happened to 2 users with the CPS2 core, and having exhausted all possibilities they redo their SD card from scratch. In the 2 cases mentioned it fixed their problem and no one knows why it did not work in the first place.
In any case something is funky with the Amiga core.
Good luck.
Kreeblah

Yeah, I wasn't switched to USB.

I suppose I've been meaning to redo my card at some point anyway since I originally created it before the update to the ExFAT cluster sizes a while back. I'll grab the current version of Mr. Fusion (which wasn't around the last time I did this) and see whether reflashing with that gets things working.
Kreeblah

Redoing my SD card and copying my configs and everything back to it did indeed do the trick. It even runs fine pulling all the data from my NAS, like I had set up before.

This is so weird.
jca
Top Contributor

Unread post by jca »

Are you sure you have a genuine MISTer? I think not, may be a MYSTery.