Amiga Keys - USB Keyboard

Reg

Amiga Keys - USB Keyboard

Unread post by Reg »

Hope this is me being stupid with something I can't find.

Running the Amiga core with a USB keyboard attached.

Is there anyway that I can remap keys to represent the two Amiga keys, if so where would that be please ?

I am guessing they could remap to the Windows or FN key, but seeing no way to do this.

Thank you.
KnC

Re: Amiga Keys - USB Keyboard

Unread post by KnC »

they are mapped to the 2 windows already if you only have one window key on the keyboard then you can use the option in the mister.ini
key_menu_as_rgui=0 ; set to 1 to make the MENU key map to RGUI in Minimig (e.g. for Right Amiga)
that would make the menu key as the right amiga key
Reg

Unread post by Reg »

KnC wrote: Sat Jul 10, 2021 7:37 pm they are mapped to the 2 windows already if you only have one window key on the keyboard then you can use the option in the mister.ini
key_menu_as_rgui=0 ; set to 1 to make the MENU key map to RGUI in Minimig (e.g. for Right Amiga)
that would make the menu key as the right amiga key
Ah interesting - it must be my keyboard that's not compatable. Shame !

So I tried the windows keys and nothing, I have a Durgod 104 keyboard via USB. Windows keys are working as expected when keyboard is connected to the PC, so it's clear that Minimig does not like this one.

Thanks for the reply at least I am not trying to fix something thats not fixable.
mahen

Unread post by mahen »

There's also an option which remaps RESET as CTRL + GUI + GUI (that is to say, CTRL-WinLeft-WinRight equals CTRL-AmigaLeft-AmigaRight).
Didn't have to set key-menu-as-regui. This latter is useful if you only have a single Windows key + a "menu" key.
Caldor
Top Contributor

Unread post by Caldor »

I have had trouble finding the Amiga keys as well. I use the right windows key which seems to work.

Or is left Windows key supposed to be left Amiga key as that does not seem to work for me? I am guessing the MiSTer uses the left Windows key for shortcuts or something?
kolla

Unread post by kolla »

You are aware that left and right Amiga keys each have very specific, dedicated functionality? Broadly described, right Amiga key is for program hotkeys, while left Amiga key is for Intuition (the Amiga GUI) hotkeys.
verm71

Unread post by verm71 »

key_menu_as_rgui=0 or 1 doesn't seem to have any effect on any of my 3 USB keyboards, but they worked on my MiST (which I have now sold).

Running KME, I can clearly see that the right Amiga key does not get triggered no matter what I push.

Hitting Ctrl-RAlt-Lalt does the reboot in my case. I'd like to experiment with switching that to Ctrl-RAmiga-LAmiga to see if I get any further with that. Does anyone remember the mister.ini setting for that one?
verm71

Unread post by verm71 »

So I've poked around for quite a while with remappings, resetting my configurations, trying different older versions of MiniMig and MiSTer main core, and trying various combinations of the two mister.ini settings:

Code: Select all

key_menu_as_rgui=1     ; set to 1 to make the MENU key map to RGUI in Minimig (e.g. for Right Amiga)
; USER button emulation by keybaord. Usually it's reset button.
; 0 - lctrl+lalt+ralt (lctrl+lgui+rgui on keyrah)
; 1 - lctrl+lgui+rgui
; 2 - lctrl+lalt+del
; 3 - same as 0 (lctrl+lalt+ralt on keyrah)
reset_combo=0
I'm still left puzzled as to why my right Menu key can't act as the Right Amiga key. KME doesn't highlight it when I push it (everything else works; Left Amiga, Help, the ( and ) keys on the numpad (mapped to PgUp and PgDown)... I'm really puzzled. I've even had a quick look into the vhdl code to see if there was something that stood out. But all I can imagine is that there may be some confusion between KEY_MENU and KEY_F12 in certain instances, but I doubt that, as this may be my ignorance speaking.
verm71

Unread post by verm71 »

So I broke down and bought a Logitech K120 (the budget keyboard with a left and right Windows key) and that works perfectly. Whether I have

key_menu_as_rgui=1
or

key_menu_as_rgui=0
makes no difference, I'm afraid. In both cases it only accepts the Right Windows key a right Amiga, and not the Menu key. But it's good to have both keyboard models now to be able to confirm this. It's a shame that high end keyboards don't have a Right Windows key.

I've raised an issue on the Minimig-AGA github, although I suspect the fix may also apply to the MiSTer main core.
bluescrn

Unread post by bluescrn »

I've not been able to reset via Ctrl+LWin+RWin either.

I thought it was a mapping issue, but it seems that the Amiga is able to detect either Amiga key press individually via the Windows keys (using a keymap editing tool on the Amiga I could see that it's detecting the presses), but fails to respond to Ctrl+Amiga+Amiga.

So it's looking like this isnt necessarily a key mapping issue, it's an issue of handling that particular combination of simultaneous keypresses. Which might be down to the keyboard itself, it's not exactly a commonly used key combo.

(I have key_menu_as_rgui=1 set, and it actually detects both the RWin and RMenu keys as the right Amiga key, but neither works in a 3-key combo to reset the Amiga)

Edit:

I thought I'd test this a bit further, and wrote a little Blitz Basic program on the Amiga to show the state of the 3 keys. Turns out that it's detecting all 3 presses, individually and simultaneously, with my Filco USB keyboard. But the combination for some reason isn't triggering a reboot of the Amiga. Strange.

(There is Ctrl+Alt+Del, though, which resets the MiSTer Core, which works fine and in many cases is functionally equivalent if you just want to reboot to load another game)