RTG & Acceleration

Anything

RTG & Acceleration

Unread post by Anything »

Hi all, I remember some talk on the old forum of the possibility of a hybrid system which might use the ARM side for a PowerPC type accelerator and/or a RTG option. Is this something that would be technically feasible and if so, does anyone know if something like this is in development?
kamshaft

Re: RTG & Acceleration

Unread post by kamshaft »

RTG at the very least would be cool. The Motorola 68020 already runs pretty fast.
---
Owner of XboxAddict.com and ColecovisionAddict.com
---
ericgus09

Unread post by ericgus09 »

I think Mike (of FPGA Arcade fame) offered to (or did) release his VHDL for the RTG the FPGA Arcade uses but I dont think the discussion went anywhere and it might have stalled on the lack of a powerful enough CPU to drive it.. right now what we got in the minimig is the fastest.
Anything

Unread post by Anything »

Thanks for the replies. Unless I'm mistaken, I feel like my A2500 was faster for RAM disk access than the Minimig 020 option. I figured it was maybe the lack of FPU, I'm not sure. Something seems a little slow when the file count gets high. Or maybe I'm mis-remembering the 2500.

Also the blitter operation at least to my recollection seems a little slow also. Messing around with large cut and paste frames in DPaint seems slower than I remember. Pretty sure that utilised the blitter on the Amiga.

Still, I'd like an 060 or PowerPC equivalent accelerator to play around with in the MiSTer, would be great.
MikeJ

Unread post by MikeJ »

Yes, both hybrid and RiscV based CPU cores are in development.