Mega-AGS analog RGB - Screen Blank

grackle

Mega-AGS analog RGB - Screen Blank

Unread post by grackle »

Hey, I have a new MiSTer kit and installed MegaAGS. Through HDMI it works great. But I would like it to run on my 15KHz PVM via SCART cable.
I've set up MiSTer to work fine over SCART/RGB, and even the Workbench shows up fine in Minimig / MegaAGS over RGB/VGA/SCART output. But only a very few games from the MegaAGS menu actually load. Instead, I get a black screen with ocassional flashes of color.
When I run both outputs at once, I can see and hear the game fine on the HDMI output but it's black on the RGB/VGA/SCART output.
And since Workbench and even the MegaAGS window are working fine over RGB/VGA/SCART, I assume it's something the game or MegaAGS is doing to work well on HDMI before booting.
Any tips?
FoxbatStargazer
Top Contributor

Re: Mega-AGS analog RGB - Screen Blank

Unread post by FoxbatStargazer »

MegaAGS from this year uses 60hz/NTSC for its menu. Most games however boot into 50hz/PAL. So it's possible something is wrong with the PAL sync?

When browsing the games, there's a note about region, that indicates whether PAL or NTSC (or even PAL60) is used. Try seeing if there is a difference for NTSC vs PAL games. Some NTSC examples would include Major Motion and MouseQuest.
grackle

Unread post by grackle »

Interesting, I think I have the opposite problem. Nothing labeled NTSC works, but most PAL things do. Major Motion doesn't work on RGB.

Just going down the Amiga Lore Top 100 list, all work on HDMI, but for RGB:

001. Populous II does not work (NTSC)
002. SWOS 95-96 works (PAL)
003. Cannon Fodder works (PAL)
004. Lemmings does not work (NTSC)
005. Monkey Island 2 does not work (NTSC)
006. Sensible World of Soccer works (PAL)
007. Flashback works (PAL)

Any idea how to get NTSC stuff to work? I set TV Standard to NTSC to try, but no change.
limi
Top Contributor

Unread post by limi »

It should all work if your CRT can handle it.

Some info that would help narrow it down:

1) What’s your CRT model?
2) What’s the MegaAGS version number?
3) Do other cores work fine for you in NTSC (e.g. Genesis/Mega Drive or Super Nintendo?)
grackle

Unread post by grackle »

Thank you! I just figured it out. At first, nothing had worked so I had taken the kit off my PVM and moved it to a RetroTink SCART to HDMI and then hdmi capture card to debug more. While I figured out how to get Workbench to show on that,
it turned out something there didn’t like the NTSC / PAL switching. I plugged it back direct into the PVM and things work fine now.

Thanks for your line of questioning, it got me to the solution.
CartoonDonkey

Unread post by CartoonDonkey »

All I have to say as an old Amigan is... o_o
GOD DAMN Mega-AGS is cool! I am going to blend it into my actual Amiga 1200 w/Vampire V1200 and Coffin R59. Just wow. An excellent and amazing organized collection of stuff. What a fantastic way to browse it too.