How Do I Edit "HDF" File to Add More Games?

marcelosofth

How Do I Edit "HDF" File to Add More Games?

Unread post by marcelosofth »

How do I edit the "HDF" file to add more games?
limi
Top Contributor

Re: How Do I Edit "HDF" File to Add More Games?

Unread post by limi »

We can’t walk you through this in a completely unrelated forum thread. You have to do some research yourself.

HDF files are hard disk images, you mount them in the core, and then you use AmigaOS to transfer files if that’s what you’re trying to do. These are not ROM files.
Xbytez
Site Admin

Unread post by Xbytez »

@limi

I have now split Marcelosofth's question from your original thread as it was off topic.
Caldor
Top Contributor

Unread post by Caldor »

marcelosofth wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 10:13 pm How do I edit the "HDF" file to add more games?
The easiest way I think is probably to use Total Commander as it has a plugin for Amiga files that makes it possible to open most HDF files and just copy files directly into them.

Otherwise I often also have WinUAE setups where one drive is just a Windows folder that I then use to copy files to and from my Amiga systems, and then I copy the HDF to my MiSTer.

But MiSTerFS is probably what would help you the most. With it you just have a "Shared" folder in your Amiga folder with the other Amiga stuff and you get access to all of that in your MiSTer Amiga environment as another drive.

https://retrogamecoders.com/mister-fpga-amiga/
marcelosofth

Caldor wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 10:27 am
marcelosofth wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 10:13 pm How do I edit the "HDF" file to add more games?
The easiest way I think is probably to use Total Commander as it has a plugin for Amiga files that makes it possible to open most HDF files and just copy files directly into them.

Otherwise I often also have WinUAE setups where one drive is just a Windows folder that I then use to copy files to and from my Amiga systems, and then I copy the HDF to my MiSTer.

But MiSTerFS is probably what would help you the most. With it you just have a "Shared" folder in your Amiga folder with the other Amiga stuff and you get access to all of that in your MiSTer Amiga environment as another drive.

Thanks friend I will try the Total Commander.
Caldor
Top Contributor

Unread post by Caldor »

marcelosofth wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 10:32 am

Okay, the plugin you need is called AmigaDX 3.6 and you can download it from here:
https://www.ghisler.com/plugins.htm
marcelosofth

Caldor wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 10:41 am

Okay, the plugin you need is called AmigaDX 3.6 and you can download it from here:
Just wonderful, I'll turn on the pc later and test it, you're the man! 💪🕹️
marcelosofth

Caldor wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 10:41 am

Friend, I tried to use this plugin but it doesn't open the HDF file, did you get to test if it opens there for you? or I don't know the right directory where to put the files of this friend's plugin!
akeley
Top Contributor

Unread post by akeley »

@Caldor: gosh, I've been using Total Commander for nearly 2 decades, it's actually my real Windows "desktop", but I didn't know about this plug in. Awesome.

@marcelosofth: you really are better off with MiSTerFS share, otherwise you will have to lug hdfs back and forth, which is painfully slow even with small ones.
Caldor
Top Contributor

Unread post by Caldor »

marcelosofth wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 1:41 pm Friend, I tried to use this plugin but it doesn't open the HDF file, did you get to test if it opens there for you? or I don't know the right directory where to put the files of this friend's plugin!
You installed it as a Total Commander plugin? If you cannot open HDF files like you usually open zip files in Total Commander as if its a folder, then the plugin is probably not active.

It is not all HDF files that it support though, I think it relies on what file system they have been setup with.
marcelosofth

Caldor wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 3:06 pm
marcelosofth wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 1:41 pm Friend, I tried to use this plugin but it doesn't open the HDF file, did you get to test if it opens there for you? or I don't know the right directory where to put the files of this friend's plugin!
You installed it as a Total Commander plugin? If you cannot open HDF files like you usually open zip files in Total Commander as if its a folder, then the plugin is probably not active.

It is not all HDF files that it support though, I think it relies on what file system they have been setup with.
It's not working for me, I click on the HDF file and open another Total Commander, I don't understand, can you test it?
Caldor
Top Contributor

Unread post by Caldor »

marcelosofth wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 6:27 pm

It's not working for me, I click on the HDF file and open another Total Commander, I don't understand, can you test it?
I have used it several times. Its why I recommended it. But for you it opens another Total Commander? Maybe try to install some other plugins to see if they work or if its a problem with how you install the plugins? It took me a while to figure out how it was done. I think you might have to associate the file type and the plugin manually.
marcelosofth

Caldor wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 7:06 pm
marcelosofth wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 6:27 pm

I have used it several times. Its why I recommended it. But for you it opens another Total Commander? Maybe try to install some other plugins to see if they work or if its a problem with how you install the plugins? It took me a while to figure out how it was done. I think you might have to associate the file type and the plugin manually.
I had to manually associate the HDF for Total Commander to open, but when I click on the file, another Total Commander opens but not the HDF content, follow my compressed part for you to check how the files are!

Link: https://www.sendspace.com/file/n1e5zo
akeley
Top Contributor

Unread post by akeley »

It works fine for me. The plugin needs to be in totalcmd\plugins\wcx\AmigaDX\

As with all the plugins, when you click on it in Total Commander, TC will recognize it as a plugin, install it itself & ask for file associations.
But, as Caldor has already said, it does not work with all the hdfs (eg refuses to open MegaAGS for me).
gibs

Unread post by gibs »

With Tinylauncher, you scan directly your games into the Shared folder. No need to open the hard drive file.
Just copy your whdload games with your ftp client, and scan them with TinyLauncher.

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=4031
marcelosofth

limi wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 10:35 pm We can’t walk you through this in a completely unrelated forum thread. You have to do some research yourself.

HDF files are hard disk images, you mount them in the core, and then you use AmigaOS to transfer files if that’s what you’re trying to do. These are not ROM files.
Friend the last version of MegaAGS is 20210313? :?: